Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Did you ever regret adding a ATI procharger?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you ever regret adding a ATI procharger?

Just like it states. I'm contemplating the mod and want to know if after it was all said and done. Did you regret it? Meaning was it nickle and diming you after the install. Now I'm also going to say this is to the people that went with a mild boost. 5-8 psi. And I'm not getting into upgrades of rear ends and all that. I know those are things that would need to be done. Just the procharger system as a whole and driveability etc. Did you wish you would have went another route? H/C/I maybe? or Spray? Just want some input.
Thanks
Old 11-08-2010, 12:33 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In the last 8 years I have not taken off a customers procharger because they didn't want it anymore. Most come back for more power like a stroker motor with the procharger.

Just make sure you order what you want.I always upgrade to the d1/8 rib setup because it's alot cheaper at that time.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I hated mine. Had one on a BBC. Noisy as hell. Once the belt got wrapped around the pulley and took out the seal. Called ATI and they wouldnt send me a seal, they wanted the whole unit sent to them to rebuild it for a fee. Bastards. ...very shitty customer support. Went to Napa and found one the right size for $3. Sold it and went turbo..... I never looked back.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

I love my F1A, just make sure you plan ahead a little if you think your going to max out the size you looking at then go up one. I may never come close to maxing out my f1 but I know that I can push it alot more than the D1 i was planning on.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:22 PM
10 Second Club

I have enjoyed mine but like the reaper mentioned make sure you buy one with growth in mind. I bought a P1SC and have always wished I had a D1SC. However I am going to skip to an F1A soon in the future.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Launching!

was not impressed by mine. it gets really expensive to change boost levels, and you cant limit power at certain rpms. if i had to pick between a turbo, supercharger, or N/A, it would go in oder of turbo, N/A, supercharger.

save yourself 3 grand and do cams and heads if you are only looking for 400-450whp range.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

I love my procharger on my C6. I have had the car for a little over a year now with the blower. The only time is costs me money is when the oil needs changed. It is only $30 for 3 bottles and only one bottle is needed for an oil change and an oil change is only needed every 6,000 miles. Changing boost levels was easy and cheap for me. All it takes is a $90 pulley swap and if you have a MAP sensor that can read boost a tune is not needed as long as you have enough fuel to feed the motor, although you will not be at optimal power levels. That being said an intital tune for an FI car is expensive $500-$600 because it takes extra credits for the custom OS for the tuning software (HP tuners at least), the tune that comes with it is crap.

Just remember to keep an eye on things and get a good tune and you shouldn't have any problems. BTW, stock power is enough to break that 10 bolt let alone 450-500rwhp. If your car hooks with the blower on it be prepared to be putting a new rear end in that car.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I regret not building my engine for one...
Old 11-08-2010, 08:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

If you want to keep the car 100% functional as it came from the factory then the 'kit' needs plenty of upgrades depending on your end goals. Your better off to start with the bracket and a head unit and piece out the rest, then send the bracket to SDCE for the spring tensioner and definitely go 8-rib, get a 'real' BOV, use a FMIC, bypass the aluminum air intake plenum all together (POS blew up on me twice, second time broke my SS hood from the concussion - from the inside out!), go with a 2 bar SD tune (bypass the MAF), get a good fuel supply system and the 60# injectors right off the bat. Be sure and look into the air filter set up and get the largest possible one you can. You can use the 'stock' plastic intake hat that comes in the 'race kit' with a BIG K&N filter. My track car runs 9.20's with it and a D1SC maxxed out. Also you will need cooling system/fan upgrades. I added the 9" Spal fan along with a good 16" puller and I still couldn't manage temps in the summer heat with the A/C on, in fact the A/C might as well not even been there, I couldn't use it.

When I ran the street/race D1SC kit on my street car I didn't care for it at all. Power was nice, no complaints there, went 9.80's at 3810# in 100% street trim, but had to do alot of the above mentioned upgrades to get it to work well and reliably. I had maintained the twin 4.5" coolers and used a methanol system to manage IAT's, even then they were up there on a 90degree+ day, and to run the A/C then, forget it!

Do some homework, search the forum lots of good info on here, including some of my posts on my Camaro. Just beware it isn't a bolt on and go set-up (well depending what your goals are, for a high 10sec car, might not be so bad if you get the fan thing figured out). As you turn it up for more, you will experience issues along the way that will take some enginuity to get through and cost more money and involve doing things over.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:41 AM
TECH Regular

Do it right and go with the D1sc and the 8 rib from the start!
Old 11-09-2010, 12:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daily drove my car for 2 years and loved it. Do some research and hit the ground running!
Old 11-09-2010, 05:54 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-1GJ20...F-Body-Kit.htm

Here is a link to my complete 8 rib D-1SC system with the larger 4.5" intercoolers for the LS1 F Body, it has everything you need except for the tune. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 11-09-2010, 10:39 AM
12 Second Club

Not regretting mine. Like others have mentioned, do it with growth in mind. Your always gonna want more.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:48 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I could go back to early 05 the answer is I would have never done the Procharger. It was a nightmare and a money pit. Blown trannies, blown diff, blown engine, upgrading car all aroung due to the domino effect and so on. There was always an issue. The most power I put out was 550 on a mustang dyno. I could only imagine how many more problems more power would created. Learned a valuable lesson: Leave them stock or get something with all the r and d into it already like a GT500, CTS V, etc...
Old 11-09-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

OK, Thanks for the link Bob. Been to your site a few times. In my eyes with this car like others have mentioned, if you're gonna push much beyond 500rwhp you're gonna break stuff. And yes, stockers have broke stuff just as easily. I already have the mind set to go big right off the bat with a 8 rib. I guess the only comparison I have is a friend of mine picked up a 08 Mustang GT, then picked up a Whipple kit and threw that on by himself. Used Whipple's mail order tune that they had been running at the time for 2+ years and 1000s of miles without an issue. He just loves it. I've driven it and love it too. Only issue he has had is the stock clutch will let loose if he jumps on the gas in 5th gear on the freeway. So he's ordered a new clutch. This is a daily driver for him.
Thanks for all the input. Looks like it's still not necessarily cut and dry like with anything else, some people have issues and some don't.
Bob, I'll be getting in touch with you when I save enough cash. (or win the lotto).
Thanks Again everyone.
Going to continue reading and researching my options.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
OK, Thanks for the link Bob. Been to your site a few times. In my eyes with this car like others have mentioned, if you're gonna push much beyond 500rwhp you're gonna break stuff. And yes, stockers have broke stuff just as easily. I already have the mind set to go big right off the bat with a 8 rib. I guess the only comparison I have is a friend of mine picked up a 08 Mustang GT, then picked up a Whipple kit and threw that on by himself. Used Whipple's mail order tune that they had been running at the time for 2+ years and 1000s of miles without an issue. He just loves it. I've driven it and love it too. Only issue he has had is the stock clutch will let loose if he jumps on the gas in 5th gear on the freeway. So he's ordered a new clutch. This is a daily driver for him.
Thanks for all the input. Looks like it's still not necessarily cut and dry like with anything else, some people have issues and some don't.
Bob, I'll be getting in touch with you when I save enough cash. (or win the lotto).
Thanks Again everyone.
Going to continue reading and researching my options.
Back in 2002 we installed the ProCharger D-1SC 6 rib system with the smaller 3.5" intercoolers on my '99 Z28, at 7 psi of boost on the 110,000 mile engine. ProCharger didn't offer the 8 rib system or the larger 4.5" intercoolers at that time. I used it in that configuration for three years, never had a problem with it, never even changed blower belts.

With the 8 rib system at 8 psi, I just don't see you having any problems with the ProCharger system. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 11-09-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

These are the things I regret not doing right off the bat (even though I haven't had any problems with my setup and have saved a decent amount of money)

- Starting off with a D1SC headunit (At the time, I had gotten a great local deal on a P1SC)
- Purchasing a FMIC, the big Vortech or Procharger BPV, and ditching the Plenum (Air Box) for stronger tubing.
- Doing a bit more research about the SPAL fans and finding equivalent sized fans that pushed more cfm than the fan supplied with the Procharger kit as well as the smaller fan used to fight heat issues in warm climate.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Back in 2002 we installed the ProCharger D-1SC 6 rib system with the smaller 3.5" intercoolers on my '99 Z28, at 7 psi of boost on the 110,000 mile engine. ProCharger didn't offer the 8 rib system or the larger 4.5" intercoolers at that time. I used it in that configuration for three years, never had a problem with it, never even changed blower belts.

With the 8 rib system at 8 psi, I just don't see you having any problems with the ProCharger system. Bob
Thanks Bob, that's pretty much the system I'm looking at doing. Not to mention my girl only has about 33K miles on the clock. Some pretty encouraging stories on here. Do you sell a kit with something other than the plenum.
Originally Posted by Zeke34
These are the things I regret not doing right off the bat (even though I haven't had any problems with my setup and have saved a decent amount of money)

- Starting off with a D1SC headunit (At the time, I had gotten a great local deal on a P1SC)
- Purchasing a FMIC, the big Vortech or Procharger BPV, and ditching the Plenum (Air Box) for stronger tubing.
- Doing a bit more research about the SPAL fans and finding equivalent sized fans that pushed more cfm than the fan supplied with the Procharger kit as well as the smaller fan used to fight heat issues in warm climate.
Some good points and I'll jot them down for future reference. So most everyone is saying to not even bother with that Plenum. Not thinking cooling will be that huge of an issue up here in MI. I don't drive it that often especially if it's that f'n hot out.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing that bothered me was small pulley = belt slip. ChevyChad's standoff/idler pulley fix is genius, had I done that I'd be just peachy. I'd eventually have gone turbo, but we never know now. For your goals, ProCharger all the way. Do it right though, if you don't get a D1-SC, get the 4.5" I/Cs, don't waste time with the plastic plenum, get the aluminum, get an SD tune.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

You are getting good advice..Love my setup so far, I like the twin 4.5s and plenum. In California the police have a hard on for moded cars. Everytime i hear of a sc car or turbo car getting pulled over, the driver always says the cop walked to front of car with a flashlight shinning in or around the grill. All things to consider. By the way TRust what BOV did you use on your setup?

Quick Reply: Did you ever regret adding a ATI procharger?