Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

1972 Nova Turbo Lsx Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 06:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good! You should definitely atleast upgrade to the ls6 intake though. Huge power gains to be had there, especially since your turbo'd.

BTW, nice pick up of the 5.3 for 250 bucks. I wish I could find one that cheap. You could sell the heads and valve covers for that!
Old 01-02-2011, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like this build so far.i have a couple of suggestions.with e85 I would lose the intercooler,and I wouldnt use the 317 heads.

E85 pulls an amazing amount of heat and allows you to run compression.im at the stock 9.4 compression and it us very responsive off boost.if I could do it over I would build it at like 10 to 1 compression because your engine with e85 and 20 psi can take it.

The ic is providing little benefit and is adding weight, leak points and more piping for your boost to travel through before it reaches the engine.just imo
Old 01-02-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Or run higher compression, an intercooler, and more boost.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE

I have been sick so progress has not been easy but here is what is in the works now. I have two weeks to have some things buttoned up and get it roller again so it can goto the chassis shop.

I tore the front end down to do some preventative maintenance and clean up the frame before installing some new parts

I pulled the subframe off the car and wire wheeled it then scrubbed with simple green

After all that I used the same stuff that I used on the underbody which was Eastwood Rust Encapsulator and then Eastwood Chassis Black. For all the reviews I read on chassis paints I was very happy with the finish, the pics dont do it justice, it really was a smooth overall finish

I put the subframe back on and install the new body mounts, also put on the control arms, still need to bolt everything down. i have been working on the firewall as well, its along way off but I plan on smoothing it out the best I can.

here is a mock up of the firewall fill I have been working on

Old 01-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Banned

nice looking build
Old 01-05-2011, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

Great progress man. Gonna look really good when your done.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i want that car when ya done lol
Old 01-05-2011, 10:24 PM
10 Second Club

Nice build!
Old 02-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Been a little while since an update. The front end was put back together and the car was taken to Martin Motorsports for:

10 Pt Cage
Frame Ties
New Full length floor pans
Fuel Cell Mount
Rear End build
Caltrac install and split mono install

Some Pics

Floor pans were worse shape than I thought

So these are going in

Sorry for crappy pics and the car being dirty from the trailer ride, here is the firewall getting welded and smoothed out

The housing tubes were welded to the center section and then cut off the factory housing ends and welded on big ford housing ends so I no longer rely on c clips or eleminators

Rear is getting a full spool, 33 spline moser axles. 3.23 gears,moser girdle and 1310 pinion yoke
Old 02-05-2011, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Maas
From my experience, an ebay core heatsoaks a hell of a lot faster than a quality core such as a precision, garrett, etc.

When tuning and making back to back pulls on the dyno, i noticed little/no changes in IAT's with a precision FMIC, but with an ebay core they went through the roof.
so your talon was heatsoaking an ebay intercooler?
Old 02-05-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maas
From my experience, an ebay core heatsoaks a hell of a lot faster than a quality core such as a precision, garrett, etc.

When tuning and making back to back pulls on the dyno, i noticed little/no changes in IAT's with a precision FMIC, but with an ebay core they went through the roof.
What kind of car did you have when you had this problem?

If its the Talon, the Talon and the Nova grills are completely different. The talon would prob suffer from heat soaking issues with its configuration and design of the front grill and I would say it would be pressed for air in its factory design, let alone putting another obstruction in front of the small area. The Nova has tons of surface area to aid with cooling, so I don't think he will have a problem such as yours. Just look at the difference below.

Then look at the Nova

As you can see, the Nova has tons of air going through the grill, so he will not be as pressed for special ducting to route air. He is damm near running with the front wide open.

Bozz

Last edited by bozzhawg; 02-05-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Launching!

Here is one teaser pic, I get the car back from the chassis shop on tuesday so I will post all the updates. I give big thumbs up to Pat Martin of Martin Motorsports, everything came out amazing and the cage turned out better then I could imagine.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

This should be a nasty car when it's finished, it looks sexy
Old 02-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Got the car back home last night, Here are some pics of the current state. I plan on doing some finish work to the firewall and replace the master cylinder here this week. I am waiting on my PTC converter and then the engine/trans goes in.

Car got New full length floor pans, 10pt Cage, Window Net, Through the floor frame connects, aluminum package tray, parachute, fuel cell mount, finished some welding on firewall, build rear end with big ford housing ends, moser spool, 33 spline axles, 3.23 gear, moser girdle and install all the calvert stuff out back. Martin Motorsports did an amazing job.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Launching!

Progress has been a little on the slow side due to some parts issues. I am only waiting on some pushrods at this point to get the motor all the way ready to go in. So I have been doing some finish work on the firewall and then got the interior back together here are the latest and greatest photos. My goal is to have the engine in the car in 2 weeks and then get the car back out to the fab shop to have my hotside crossover and coldside made up.

Got cage painted,new carpet installed, new cover on rear seat, bolted seats in and installed harnesses

Old 03-31-2011, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Well had a couple road blocks, the more I read about my oil pan choice I thought it was not best for my ground clearance and mount choices so I ordered a sheet metal pan from autokraft, its pretty nice with those trap door baffles. I finished getting the motor all bolted together and ready to set into the car. I am still on the fence clearance wise with my headers. I love the flow and looks but may have to get some stock valve covers, the tubes are very close to the valve covers.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:29 AM
Banned

When you get the engine and headers mounted in the Car will get let me know how A-Arm clearance is, and how the Master Cylinder clearance is? I am doing a similar build on my Dads 71 Nova. I ended up doing up a setup for foward facing headers for his, but am always looking at better options.

Here are a couple pics of ours.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Very nice buildup!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Looking good, lots done since I was over at your place picking up those manifolds from you. Dont sweat the intercooler, its going to work out great, I use a ton of them and we have no issue. Will we see it at the track day coming up at the end of next month?
Old 03-31-2011, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 71 chevy
I like this build so far.i have a couple of suggestions.with e85 I would lose the intercooler,and I wouldnt use the 317 heads.

E85 pulls an amazing amount of heat and allows you to run compression.im at the stock 9.4 compression and it us very responsive off boost.if I could do it over I would build it at like 10 to 1 compression because your engine with e85 and 20 psi can take it.

The ic is providing little benefit and is adding weight, leak points and more piping for your boost to travel through before it reaches the engine.just imo
with the IC just to make the car more boost friendly, It's not much added weight, esp in a car that is already fairly heavy and the pressure drop should be minimal. But. . . . . in all honesty i'd prob ditch the IC and go with pre/post-turbo meth

Quick Reply: 1972 Nova Turbo Lsx Build