Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Buying a Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For all of you that have installed everything yourself (the procharger kit, fuel pump, BAP, injectors, FMIC, etc)....how difficult is this for someone who has 0 experience with it?

Total install price for everything is running me well into the 2K+ range and I just cannot afford that, nor do I want to pay that kind of money even if I did have it.

Also, how difficult is it to do the "custom" fabs for the charge side? I am guessing you need to bend your own piping? Is this something I can have an exhaust shop do for much cheaper?

Last question - Do I REALLY need to have the SDCE dual fan kit?

Thanks,

Jon
Old 12-29-2010, 12:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 35th-anv-ss
I have one more for you Bob, or whoever...

Will I be able to run my stock water pump with the Aster tensioner? Doesn't seem like I can from what I just read about it. I guess if not, it seems to be not that much more added cost in the scheme of things.

I got my first quote back - HOLY ****
Yes, with the Aster bracket you'll need to switch over to the Corvette water pump. It is a small price to pay for such an excellent design though. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 12-29-2010, 12:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thanks,

Jon
You can add a small electric fan to the ProCharger radiator sheetmetal in the location above where the blower will be close to it. We this this back at the old shop and it worked out very well. Bob

Old 12-29-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

No you dont.... Like Bob said
Old 12-29-2010, 01:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

For all of you that have installed everything yourself (the procharger kit, fuel pump, BAP, injectors, FMIC, etc)....how difficult is this for someone who has 0 experience with it?
http://www.ls1.com/ed/procharger_owners_manual.pdf

Here is an older copy of the ProCharger LS1 98-02 F Body installation instructions from an old customer of mine. It is outdated but it will give you an idea of what is involved with the installation. Bob

Old 12-29-2010, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
http://www.ls1.com/ed/procharger_owners_manual.pdf

Here is an older copy of the ProCharger LS1 98-02 F Body installation instructions from an old customer of mine. It is outdated but it will give you an idea of what is involved with the installation. Bob
Thanks Bob. I just read through most of it and it seems pretty simple. I have all the time in the world to do this and a garage to do it in so I'm pretty confident with it. Plus I have a few friends that I know will be willing to help me out.

One of the first things I noticed that it states is about the PCM tune being set back to "stock". Is this going to be an issue if I don't? I don't know what all was calibrated when I had my DYNO tune at your shop other than the speedo calibration for the new rear end gears.

I was told I can leave the stock injectors in and be safe driving the car up to have it tuned. However, if I swap in the new injectors without a tune and make any sort of boost I'm SOL.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thanks Bob. I just read through most of it and it seems pretty simple. I have all the time in the world to do this and a garage to do it in so I'm pretty confident with it. Plus I have a few friends that I know will be willing to help me out.

One of the first things I noticed that it states is about the PCM tune being set back to "stock". Is this going to be an issue if I don't? I don't know what all was calibrated when I had my DYNO tune at your shop other than the speedo calibration for the new rear end gears.

I was told I can leave the stock injectors in and be safe driving the car up to have it tuned. However, if I swap in the new injectors without a tune and make any sort of boost I'm SOL.
Your computer won't be a problem. If you put the new injectors in it before you had it tuned, it would run like crap and it would spit and sputter. You want to leave the stock injectors in it prior to getting it tuned, and you can drive it as much as you want to, as long as you don't go wide open throttle, not even once. Bob

Old 12-29-2010, 07:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2! Don't get into it at all untill shes tuned. Install isn't anything to hard. Piping should come pretty complete and ready to go in reference to bends. I suggest running dual fans but its not the end of the world if you cant. Quite a few guys have overheating/running hot issues. I run twin fans, 1 spal 16" and 1 spal 9" and have never had temp problems. That includes letting my car idle in socal heat @ 100+ for 15min with the ac on and never went over 190. Did you decide on a FMIC or the twins? There are a few install threads on here where guys went into it a little bit. That plus directions and some good tools and you should be fine. PM me and I'll send you my number. I'm always welcome to help someone out with some advice or directions. In regards to youngrigo. PM me...yes I have those 317's and their available. You have a very good start to a great combo! You'll love it!
Old 12-29-2010, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blue00ZZleeper
X2! Don't get into it at all untill shes tuned. Install isn't anything to hard. Piping should come pretty complete and ready to go in reference to bends. I suggest running dual fans but its not the end of the world if you cant. Quite a few guys have overheating/running hot issues. I run twin fans, 1 spal 16" and 1 spal 9" and have never had temp problems. That includes letting my car idle in socal heat @ 100+ for 15min with the ac on and never went over 190. Did you decide on a FMIC or the twins? There are a few install threads on here where guys went into it a little bit. That plus directions and some good tools and you should be fine. PM me and I'll send you my number. I'm always welcome to help someone out with some advice or directions. In regards to youngrigo. PM me...yes I have those 317's and their available. You have a very good start to a great combo! You'll love it!
Awesome, thanks for the assist here. I'm just waiting on all the quotes to come back and then go from there. I'll be getting the FMIC. Even with the twins, per the installation instructions I read, I would still need to cut the air damn below the car and even some off the sides towards the top for the piping to route up. I plan on probably turning up the boost down the road once I get the motor forged.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed my procharger kit, fmic, and fuel system with my pops. Never done one before and it wasnt all that hard, it was pretty easy. Tackle it yourself and you will be that much more proud of your car. Double check everything along the way and you'll be good to go.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would NOT get the SDCE fans. i bought them for $400 and the shroud was bent a little bit. all 4 tabs slid into the radiator but they were not positioned exactly right. i sent them a ton of pictures explaining the problems and they would not give me a new one. they told me procharger changes parts sometimes and i might have to wiggle the shroud into place. this was NOT prochargers fault at all. the fan would not sit correctly against the radiator when i didn't have any procharger parts installed. i ended up cutting off around 1/4" of the sheet metal around almost half of the shroud. i ended up getting it into place after cutting it but the fit is terrible. for $400, i would never buy this again. maybe i just had a defective product but i wouldn't take my chances with one again.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

Update - 6 months later

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-pictures.html

Looks like in the next few weeks she'll be on a DYNO and road worthy again!

Thanks to all for the input!!
Old 06-09-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

"I would strongly recommend running twin pumps from the start. Not having any fueling issues will make the difference between popping the motor"

I agree with this as well, I went a single 255 to start only to find out on the dyno it wasnt enough..

Quick Reply: Buying a Procharger