Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

E85 Who has done it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 05:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 71 chevy
would it be a bad idea to cut the e85 with some more 93 gas if one is reaching the limits of a fuel pump or injectors? ie, get it to something like e70?
Not at all, as long as you cut it the same each time.

The pumps at frankford/midway were E80 as of yesterday, FYI

You can also cut pump gas with E85 too, just remember to change the cal for it, as itll lean out!
Old 01-07-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by t-1
I ve been running e 85 in my Trans Am for 6 months. I ran a mix in my 01 zo6 and my brother ran it for ten thousand miles in 600 whp talon. Its the only way to go if you have regular access to it. Couple things to consider 1. oil changes need to be more frequent or you need to step up brad penn oil or joe gibbs hot rod oil 2. its in the 23-25 percent range for more fuel. I am personally running 165lbs injectors, a weldon pump, 60 psi fuel pressure and was making 1004 sae whp. no knock, on 10 -1 compression albeit at high elevation. 3. I would still run an intercooler for consistency and safety, but with e 85 you dont have to run some huge or expensive intercooler. 4. I would use the highest volume gas station so you can to insure fresh clean fuel. 5. it will start in the cold(done it under 20 degrees out) but it can be a little rough. On the flip side it cranks long enough to build up oil pressure before fireing which is a positive to me when its cold out.6. Gas mileage does suck lol but spool is better.
Whats your injector duty cycle at? Is the Weldon ok on the street?
Old 01-07-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Louis at GSS
Not at all, as long as you cut it the same each time.

The pumps at frankford/midway were E80 as of yesterday, FYI

You can also cut pump gas with E85 too, just remember to change the cal for it, as itll lean out!
thanks man. that is good news . I can see myself having to go to e70 as I just dont have enough injector or fuel pump.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
We use a tester that's just a little test tube with some lines on it. You fill to one line with water and the other line with e85. The ethanol mixes with the water and the gasoline floats to the top. The lines tell you the percentage.

Looks like this. It looks like this one.

I think it was cheap. Like under $50 bucks.
Just ordered two from Summit. Total with handling was $41. They are $15.71 each. Thanks for posting that.

Quick Reply: E85 Who has done it?