Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

E85 Who has done it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 03:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default E85 Who has done it?

I am strongly considering switching over to E85 for all my driving, street and strip. I used to run 93 octane on the street and Q16 at the track. What I am wondering is how much difference will there be between the E85 and Q16 at the track. I want to eliminate my intercooler to gain a little boost as well. I have a 427 with 20 lbs of boost with an F-1R. Thoughts??
Old 01-02-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Its been done many times over. ls2formula and 98z28cobrakiller and cgs454 are all running crazy times on e85 while running high boost numbers.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might want to check out some of the 4 banger forums as well for high boost with E85 setups. A lot of Evos running good times on it. I'm debating it as well.

I have a friend who owns an import tuning shop. He has tuned many cars on E85 and they're shop car traps near 160 on E98. I could put you in touch for advice and parts as well. He's hooked up pretty well for fuel components.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know about losing the IC but you should be able to run just as fast with the E85 as the Q16. You'll need to be able to deliver almost 50% more fuel than you currently use just to be able to break even with your times.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:29 PM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Local dsm runs up to 48psi on E85 alone

If it is available to you and the fuel system to support it then there is no reason not to
Old 01-02-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran it on my old d1sc motor. It worked great, but just make sure you have it readily available. My tank went to empty pretty fast. The only drawback is it is takes longer for a cold motor in cold weather to get started. The smell is pretty cool at idle though!
Old 01-02-2011, 05:13 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by HydroStream6
You might want to check out some of the 4 banger forums as well for high boost with E85 setups. A lot of Evos running good times on it. I'm debating it as well.

I have a friend who owns an import tuning shop. He has tuned many cars on E85 and they're shop car traps near 160 on E98. I could put you in touch for advice and parts as well. He's hooked up pretty well for fuel components.
I'll take all of the thoughts on it I can get. If you don't mind sending a pm I'll take his number. I'm not sure how diferently the little motors react on it since the combustion chamber is smaller but I will talk to anyone I can. I have a number for a guy in ND that I got from Procharger as well. You can never get enough good info from experienced racers.
Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
I don't know about losing the IC but you should be able to run just as fast with the E85 as the Q16. You'll need to be able to deliver almost 50% more fuel than you currently use just to be able to break even with your times.
As for the intercooler, I'm just thinking that with E85 I would be approaching a blown alcohol setup. That's my theory anyway.
Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
Local dsm runs up to 48psi on E85 alone

If it is available to you and the fuel system to support it then there is no reason not to
As for the fuel sytem, Lonnie from Lonnie's performance is checking on an avenue for me. I have his twin pump setup on the car now and he thinks we may be able to go to a triple pump setup.

Originally Posted by stevied916
I ran it on my old d1sc motor. It worked great, but just make sure you have it readily available. My tank went to empty pretty fast. The only drawback is it is takes longer for a cold motor in cold weather to get started. The smell is pretty cool at idle though!
What kind of heat range plugs did you run?
Old 01-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you wanted to get methodical about it, you could get your hands on a single EGT probe and stick it in the #1 runner on your exh manifold. Take a temp at WOT now. Switch to E85 and see how much it drops. Remove the IC and do it again and see how much it goes up. If the EGT's are still cooler without the IC and E85 than they are now, then I'd feel good about it. The problem is that you can't easily read charge temps post E85 in and EFI application.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:28 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
If you wanted to get methodical about it, you could get your hands on a single EGT probe and stick it in the #1 runner on your exh manifold. Take a temp at WOT now. Switch to E85 and see how much it drops. Remove the IC and do it again and see how much it goes up. If the EGT's are still cooler without the IC and E85 than they are now, then I'd feel good about it. The problem is that you can't easily read charge temps post E85 in and EFI application.
I agree. I will still spray the methanol injection if I eliminate the intercooler to try to keep the inlet air temps down as much as possible. If the headers glow on the dyno it's probably too hot.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I made the switch 5 months ago and never looked back... Use a good injector as you will be metering a ton of fuel... I run the ID2000's (idle and cruize like stock) almost too good to be true. I do still run a three nozzle methanol system as well, to keep IAT's at bay, I also have a Large FMIC and would not recommend running without it if your running any serious amount of boost, the IAT's would not allow for any real increase in power. My car is setup for Mile events, which are very hard on the car/setup, but also sees 1/4 mile a few times a year. I do drive it on the street also as much as I can, but I just don't have much time to do so...
I highly recommend E85...
Old 01-02-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mr.Big
I made the switch 5 months ago and never looked back... Use a good injector as you will be metering a ton of fuel... I run the ID2000's (idle and cruize like stock) almost too good to be true. I do still run a three nozzle methanol system as well, to keep IAT's at bay, I also have a Large FMIC and would not recommend running without it if your running any serious amount of boost, the IAT's would not allow for any real increase in power. My car is setup for Mile events, which are very hard on the car/setup, but also sees 1/4 mile a few times a year. I do drive it on the street also as much as I can, but I just don't have much time to do so...
I have been looking into those injectors, although pricey, I think there calling my name.

Can you tell me where you bought them, and what fuel pump and filters are you runing ?

Thanks !
Old 01-02-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Veteran

E85 FTW with boosted cars,

seriously though, if you do triple pumps, id love to see pics. I have doubles now, and have watched mighty mouse do triples in the Fbody, but have yet to see one of our kind do it

go E85 and never look back. Keep us updated.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

E85 is awesome. My evo was making 900awhp at 42lbs of boost w/ meth. I wouldnt recommend taking off the intercooler either. Might as well keep it on and get IAT's as low as possible. Remember that you will need to supply more E85 than you did with the 93 octane. So with that being said be prepared to upgrade your fuel system accordingly ie: bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, etc... Id run it again when I do finally go FI on my SS but the closest E85 station is 60 miles away
Old 01-02-2011, 09:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We make 1020 on c16, and 1015 on E85. E70-e85 have almost the same antiknock qualities. We went 160 on pump e85, and it tested at e76.

I'll post more when I get to a computer, but I would do it. It'll pay for itself In a few tanks!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I switched to e85 this summer here in Jefferson city MO, its very available here but when you go south or east it gets really hard to find so when there's a cruise im restricted how far I can go with out having my laptop with me to switch back to gas.
its only .06 cheaper a gallon now so im back on pump gas, but yes the e85 gave me a little more peace of mind with my stock bottom end
Old 01-02-2011, 10:33 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mr.Big
Very good feedback and exactly what I was looking for.
Originally Posted by JAX04
E85 FTW with boosted cars,

seriously though, if you do triple pumps, id love to see pics. I have doubles now, and have watched mighty mouse do triples in the Fbody, but have yet to see one of our kind do it

go E85 and never look back. Keep us updated.
I am exploring a few options for the fuel system. I hope that Lonnie can make the triple pump setup work out. He seemed very optimistic. I will definitely keep track of what I do and let everyone know as well as results.

Originally Posted by ries
E85 is awesome. My evo was making 900awhp at 42lbs of boost w/ meth. I wouldnt recommend taking off the intercooler either. Might as well keep it on and get IAT's as low as possible. Remember that you will need to supply more E85 than you did with the 93 octane. So with that being said be prepared to upgrade your fuel system accordingly ie: bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, etc... Id run it again when I do finally go FI on my SS but the closest E85 station is 60 miles away
The problem with the intercooler is that it is 40lbs on the nose of the car and it is naturally an air restriction by design. My blower is maxed out so I will probably play with taking it off on the dyno to see what happens. Maybe do a pull with it then take it off and do another pull.
Originally Posted by Louis
We make 1020 on c16, and 1015 on E85. E70-e85 have almost the same antiknock qualities. We went 160 on pump e85, and it tested at e76.

I'll post more when I get to a computer, but I would do it. It'll pay for itself In a few tanks!
That is exactly the sort of info I was looking for. Any more results or info is greatly appreciated.
Originally Posted by 9sectruck
I switched to e85 this summer here in Jefferson city MO, its very available here but when you go south or east it gets really hard to find so when there's a cruise im restricted how far I can go with out having my laptop with me to switch back to gas.
its only .06 cheaper a gallon now so im back on pump gas, but yes the e85 gave me a little more peace of mind with my stock bottom end
It is not exactly easy to find here but I believe it will be worth it in the end as long as it sticks around. I live thirty minutes from the hippie capital of the world (Asheville, NC) so you would think it would be easier to find.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:38 PM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

I can vouch for the ID injectors too

I have the 1000's and they work awesome, idle better than my old 60's

stable up to 95% duty cycle too
Old 01-02-2011, 10:52 PM
9 Second Club

I'm not sure which injectors I'm going to use yet. I already have an AEM impedance converter in place and have been using 96lb injectors which were at their limit. I ordered a set of 125's before I decided to go E85 so now I am backing up.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:27 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

E85 is the ****, been running it for years and have tuned countless cars on it and it's an incredible fuel for the price.

With the kind of power you are putting out you would probably need 160s if your 96s were maxed out on gas, don't forget about the pump either because you more than likely will be out of pump.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I ran ngk tr6's

Quick Reply: E85 Who has done it?