Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

need help ID'ing this turbo's components

Old 01-07-2011, 07:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need help ID'ing this turbo's components

I know some of you here have a real sharp eye for turbos. Basically, this was sold to me as a Turbonetics T76. However, the compressor housing didn't have the Turbonetics logo on it, which I'd never seen one without, so I sent some pics off to the manufacturer and was told that the compressor housing and center section are always branded. I did find the Turbonetics "T" on the exhaust housing, so that part does appear to be Turbonetics.

It has been rebuilt a couple of times, and appears to not have been used since the last one.

inducer/exducer sizes (approximate)

.63/.70
.76/1.0

Old 01-07-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

nobody?
Old 01-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take another crack at it....
Compressor housing : More then likely Garrett

Compressor Wheel: Could be any company ( Garrett I believe has a "A" molded into the wheel and Turbonetics has the famous "T". These should be located on the outer edge of the exducer. Only seen with the compressor housing off.)

Back Plate: Turbonetics

Bearing Housing: Garrett

Turbine Wheel: Could be either or. Though Turbonetics has a twelve point nut cast into the end of the wheel. So much has been grinded off, it's hard to tell.

Turbine Housing: Turbonetics

Once again. This turbo "looks" to be pieced together from parts to create a 76mm turbo. By no means is this turbo built totally by Turbonetics IMO.....
Old 01-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also the wheel sizing you put .63/.70 .76/1.0. Have no clue what this is other then it seems to be the A/R of the housings. I can tell you that the turbine side is a P trim since it mark on it. The compressor wheel you will have to measure yourself. From tip to tip on the inside or smaller diameter should be 76mm.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chevybowtie
Also the wheel sizing you put .63/.70 .76/1.0. Have no clue what this is other then it seems to be the A/R of the housings. I can tell you that the turbine side is a P trim since it mark on it. The compressor wheel you will have to measure yourself. From tip to tip on the inside or smaller diameter should be 76mm.
Sorry

It's (approximate) inducer/exducer size in MM - didn't mean to put the "." there. Turbine then compressor.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chevybowtie
By no means is this turbo built totally by Turbonetics IMO.....
Yep, Turbonetics made that quite clear when I spoke to them.

I'm going to sell it to get some of my money back out of it, but I want to be able to give the buyer an accurate idea of what they're getting, since I did not.

I was told it had a .81 A/R exhaust housing, but it's clearly marked ".96" inside the outlet. Shrug
Old 01-09-2011, 12:18 AM
TECH Resident

Any other input? Or know of a place I could send some pics to that might get some more info?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need help ID'ing this turbo's components