Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS2 APS w/lg turbos (part 3) going BIG! (Results)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom are you crazy dude! LOL . My two cents also think 80s are too small likely at high teens to 20psi range but with 100% meth guess could be ok. I have 80s ,don't like them much finally went to speed density and open loop full time and that makes them behave better down low. I still have low impedence 120s ,harness and box that can put back in if the need arises. Those 120s idle perfectly and don't need to run open loop all the time with them.But just didn't like the extra clutter with the harnesses and aem converter box. I have the spray too on there so thats more cluttered than usual engine compartment.

Sure its good idea to use real race gas if you have it available. And if not guys do pretty good with xylene or toluene mix at about 1 to 4 to gas ratio. Pure toluene or xylene though. Used to be cheap at paint shops but got more expensive at least up here think to stop druggies as think it is component in manufacture of crystal meth??
Still legal to sell though as guess needed for painting.

Timing of course is also key factor in boosted engines. Too greedy on timing kills a lot of motors. If given choice of more boost or more timing usually better for power to just up boost and leave timing lower. AFR of course is also important and usually not that much point going too lean either as you don't gain huge by going really lean on fi you just increase risk.

Course I also run real time knock monitoring in car with my very cool and versatile interceptor guages.

Your car has tons of potential and sure you will get it much lower ,60fts have lots of potential as you get things dialed in. Of course not sure on your tracks if they are NHRA but under 10 normally you need things I think like medicals and all that sfi stuff.
Also I would never cage a street car .Rollcages are very dangerous in street cars in crash if you are not wearing helmet. And of course annoying as hell for passengers making back seat useless. But you don't have much choice if that is what you want to do with this car and you want to be safe and can't go to outlaw tracks.
I may at some point maybe soon put rollbar six point in the 99TT but would do swingouts for sure or omit passenger side bar. I dont' have to take my kids around that much in 99 as have the truck,van for daily drivers.
Buddy did have a 9 second track camaro with full cage and he had accident on street and is lucky to be alive. He smashed his head bad and he could easily have been killed. He said never again and he is as hard core as you can get. So maybe think twice. Do a six point first. Find a few outlaw tracks and be happy with that.
Does mighty mouse run a full cage in his? I would think so but not sure . He goes to so many events and runs like 8s and he does street drive it so guess whatever floats your boat. But you are also risking your passenger too with full rollcage. I know you can pad them but still not sure if thats good enough without helmet on.

But anyway buddy great your car is running aces and happy seems your problems are behind you. We are of course in opposite positions now with my having the fubared engine.

But should hopefully be up and running by april 1 or so with the new 427 which guess is now going to be ls3 core. For now just keeping the 4 bolt heads I can't see giving up my afr for 6 bolt just yet and afr for some dumb reason refuses to make them. But I won't be pushing my car anywhere near what you are planning to push yours except for maybe a couple of dyno runs. I would hope you can hit 9s at 800rwhp? And 9.99 is plenty fast for me.

The main thing about our turbo cars is that they are so damn streetable its rediculous.With the autos even more so I love my auto swap. My stall seems to have bit of noticeable slippage but not to bad. I kept 3.54 gears as like a bit of gear in a heavy car especially off boost although with 427 could likely go down more to 3.23 or even 3.08 or maybe 2.73 but not an option with dana 60 unfortunately. My car is real clark kent/superman type of ride as of course yours is too. Off boost pretty mellow,mellow cam no cam surge ,granny can drive it to the store. On boost total tiger. FI is fun isn't it!

Anyway rambling ,best of luck in the coming year Tom buddy. Hope you hit all your goals ,everything stays working great and especially hope those new LGs are reliable.
I am for sure of course installing my LG when put in the new 427.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:45 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm crazy mr 427 lol. Hey Al you ever going to push over 8psi old man lol. But yes there is a lot to think about. Its hard to have a fast 50/50 race car and street car. These are new waters for me and im trying to find the right way to make this work out well
Old 01-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onfire
At 20psi I would want a minimum of 110 oct. So it depends on what you are mixing.

Which computer are you usinf 99+ stock or aftermarket?

What fuel system are you running.

It won't take 20psi to run low nines if that is all you want...but you will always want to go faster...that's the reason for 120's...pay me now or pay me later....lol...

Here's my 4037lb street car with AC working...my goal was only 10.8's and drive it on the street...it never ends....

http://www.streetfire.net/video/bris...821.htm#<br />
i was there for that pass.... was a rocket...

and i would listen to this guy OP he has already been there
Old 01-11-2011, 01:57 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
18-20 psi and pump fuel going down the track? Blown motor. I would just use e85 or race fuel at that point.
I agree.

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
Yeah and I wouldn't run 20 psi on it.
x2

Originally Posted by GueSS Who
We run at 20psi on a 427 with the APS kit and it runs 5.34@131 with a 1.24 60ft on 275 radials. We have the stock turbos on the car. I think you could probably go quicker then your 8.5 if you really wanted to.
The compressor wheel in Toms turbos flow 5lb/min more than the compressor wheel you guys have. The problem is, the turbine on toms wont flow near as much as is needed at the same pressure ratios. Not a big deal, but total boost for boost, he will need a lot. Toms car, at 20 psi, if it was a 6 speed, would be 1000-1020 rwhp. 18ish pounds is 950 at the tire, thru a manual trans.

Originally Posted by 02blackbeauty19
FWIW, I run 18-20 psi on my APS car with pump and meth

Good luck to you man. Its should be a beast
Do your turbos even make 20? I mean, Im sure they do, just not for long, LOL!

As for injectors, why not some ID1000s? Sure, they are a little more expensive upfront, injector to injector, but you dont need a 500$ driver box, and they bolt right in. SO simple, and its a GREAT injector. Something to think about

Let me know if I can help tom! I got your message, Ill holla back at you in the next few days

Louis
Old 01-11-2011, 07:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its hard to have a fast 50/50 race car and street car. These are new waters for me and im trying to find the right way to make this work out well

That's one of the best things said in awhile. I'm sitting in the same exact boat buddy and its a tough spot to be lol. We always want to go faster, yet want to retain our street driving abilities. These waters are rough! lol
Old 01-11-2011, 07:41 PM
9 Second Club

See Louis if you just picked up the phone when i call i would have to make these crazy threads LOL.

so ive been talking to the tunner thats going to do the tunning and hes not big into the meth idea him self. and by the posts on here im going to stick with race gas. now how do i drive it on the street and run race gas at the track. i drive my car to the track.
i hate putting my car on a tralier and driving there on race gas sound sound like a waste of money.

do i need to drain all the pump gas out to put in the race gas for the best octane level to be safe?

for the injectors just some looking around for the ID1000. and very sweet but it only cost me 170 bucks for the 80 upgrade so if it dosent work out not that big of a loss

so Louis am i going to have some high back pressure at 20psi? 2:1 raito? lol and
what would be the happy place boost wise for these turbos i have?

now the tunner is saying that a even a small amount of pump gas can bring race gas's oct level way down. IDEAS?

And thanks chirs its not to often i say anything good LOL
Old 01-11-2011, 07:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Talked to hardcore guy with 9 second or maybe 8 on nitrous car and he has full cage of course and he said its ok on street if you run 5 point not normal seat belts and make sure you wear it not just do up lap belt. Buddy was wearing his lap with 5 point not done up?? and he hit head and could have died.

So go for it Tom. Keep in mind though that most trucks things get crazy under 10, all that sfi stuff liscencing,medicals ,etc.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:27 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Talked to hardcore guy with 9 second or maybe 8 on nitrous car and he has full cage of course and he said its ok on street if you run 5 point not normal seat belts and make sure you wear it not just do up lap belt. Buddy was wearing his lap with 5 point not done up?? and he hit head and could have died.

So go for it Tom. Keep in mind though that most trucks things get crazy under 10, all that sfi stuff liscencing,medicals ,etc.
sweet good to know i do have some simpson 5-points NITB on stand by
Old 01-13-2011, 08:52 PM
9 Second Club

So this 3BAR form a 2Bar and injector change is turning in too a large refinement project LOL.

here are to the plugs that im going to run

Im still waiting on injectors so i turned to cleaning up some things. like to many long vac/boost lines ran all over. got to have smooth/clean look under the hood. it a must in my book lol

feel free to add input as you see fit thanks

so i start by shorting all the rubber boost ref. line i took off almost 7 feet to the EBOOST2!!!

almost all of it rubber lines and hose clamps will be getting replace by these 1/4 quick disconnects and hard line. my thinking is that they are less likely to expand giving a fast singal to the componets that need it. they look way better as well and i have had lines blow off before. they cant blow out once you push them in. just keep them off anything hot and you will be OK. i have this same line going to my waste gates and no issuse yet

here is how i have it to the intake

FPR

i used a 1/4npt tap on the hole in the back of the intake for the old MAP and put in a 1/4 inch brab fitting for the GM 3BAR

this was the frist time i have took the intake off with my coolant cross over lines i put together. i just undid one side and losen the other side and it just folded right over out of the way no big deal. Not one drop of coolant came out. do to the fact it sits so high

Last edited by tomz28; 01-13-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Louis at GSS
Do your turbos even make 20? I mean, Im sure they do, just not for long, LOL!
Louis
Ya know, were the boost controller is, I can't be sure how long it stays there. All I can do is press the eboost2 button twice to see peak boost.

I have just started logging with HPT Pro, but my 2 bar MAP doesn't allow me to see any readings past 210 Kpa.

I know its time for a 3 Bar MAP, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:44 PM
FormerVendor

Watch that push lock black hose, I had some of it melt once. I will never use it again unless its a BOV or something non critical.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:53 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Louis at GSS
Watch that push lock black hose, I had some of it melt once. I will never use it again unless its a BOV or something non critical.
oh i know, but that was all me

what would you use instead -3an?

it will be ran in the safest way i can and tied down were needed

Louis, so what is the happy place for these turbos boost wise? or just give call me.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:14 PM
9 Second Club

so got my 3BAR all hooked up and ready to go. got a nice wire harness from LSXtune.com so i didnt have to cut and wire the the cars harness for it.

Got my injectors back from FIC. had him sent me two injectors that flowed a few cc more to put in intake runners 7 and 8 so they keep a safe AFR. do that they have shitty air flow in the back of the intake.

and some new intake gaskets becuase the olds one look like junk

Old 01-19-2011, 07:32 PM
11 Second Club

Werd son! I'm in the middle of doing the same thing. How much was the wiring harness? Was gonna hack mine up but plug and play is even easier. Car has to head up to the shop on 60's and MAF first so I want to change it up there as quick as possible. IIRC I've seen people run their whole vac system with the pushlock fittings. Just be careful near heat sources and you'll be fine.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:40 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by blue00ZZleeper
Werd son! I'm in the middle of doing the same thing. How much was the wiring harness? Was gonna hack mine up but plug and play is even easier. Car has to head up to the shop on 60's and MAF first so I want to change it up there as quick as possible. IIRC I've seen people run their whole vac system with the pushlock fittings. Just be careful near heat sources and you'll be fine.
the harness was $15. and what the hell do you mean on the "MAF" didnt you mean 2BAR jackass

and you remember when that meth line got smoked under the car that could have been a bad day if it had meth in it
Old 01-19-2011, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

No ****! Yea I do remember. No I was still on MAF with the old combo. Straight to 3bar for this biznitch...
Old 01-27-2011, 08:30 PM
9 Second Club

man i cant wait ti get my Lift

so here is how those line turned out

Old 01-27-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

All the lines look good, man, except your drain lines
Old 03-02-2011, 07:54 PM
9 Second Club

well the car is going to the dyno tomorrow. just going to 14psi on pump for now. any ideas on want kind of power it will make?
Old 03-02-2011, 08:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Best of luck Tom buddy!

Quick Reply: LS2 APS w/lg turbos (part 3) going BIG! (Results)