Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How to build an 8 sec Air to Air intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 02:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's one helluva intercooler. How is the efficiency with a core as thick as this one? It seems that that ambient air would have quite a time passing through a core that thick. I love the craftsmanship, nice job.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful work..
Old 01-13-2011, 07:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Very nice Louis!!! I agree with the vain/splitter on the hot side to distribute air better... however VERY nice...
Old 01-13-2011, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

beautiful, it is a piece of art, well done sir.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Work of ART!!!! Very nice!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks really nice, end tanks are sweet!

In terms of "thicker the core the better" that's true in terms of the IC acting as a heat sink and to reduce pressure drop but it will restrict ambient airflow and that ambient air flow will also be rather hot once it reaches the rear portion of a very thick core.

And as far as "the shorter the core the better", I've always recorded much lower IAT's through the traps with a longer horizontal core than a shorter vertical core intercooler so I think there is a balance point there.

On the CFD model, did you find that airflow would start to climb the intercooler core at higher flow levels? For instance, the model shows most of the airflow going through the lower 1/3 of the intercooler, but if the intercooler was actually built to that size I think you would get a huge pressure drop at high airflow levels.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:56 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Looks very clean. I would love to hear what an apples to apples difference would be with the same core and typical "square" end tanks. Thats alot of damn work.
The math showed that this design was well worth it. Once it hits the streets and dyno, we will know for sure. The CFD we have done the last 3-4 years has yet to fail us, however, I have some of the best guys in the industry working with me, so the data out is only as good as the data in!

One interesting note, air speed out of the turbo at its peak efficiency is nearing 400 mph

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Looks really nice, end tanks are sweet!

In terms of "thicker the core the better" that's true in terms of the IC acting as a heat sink and to reduce pressure drop but it will restrict ambient airflow and that ambient air flow will also be rather hot once it reaches the rear portion of a very thick core.

And as far as "the shorter the core the better", I've always recorded much lower IAT's through the traps with a longer horizontal core than a shorter vertical core intercooler so I think there is a balance point there.

On the CFD model, did you find that airflow would start to climb the intercooler core at higher flow levels? For instance, the model shows most of the airflow going through the lower 1/3 of the intercooler, but if the intercooler was actually built to that size I think you would get a huge pressure drop at high airflow levels.
I completely agree Jim. I would be curious if your findings were related to a core that wasnt being utilized? Im in that boat right now with another car, If I could rebuild the end tanks, I would, however, there is NO room between the frame rails.

On this application, the thick core isnt an issue. This car cools really well, and my radiator setup is all one big engineering plan. The radiator was sized a bit larger, and uses a reduced FPI (Fin per inch) to keep airflow thru the rad core.

Im 100% not opposed to throwing all of this in the trash if it doesnt work I want happy and fast customers. Actually, I think Id hang it on the wall, lol!!

Louis
Old 01-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Beautiful piece but it would come at a VERY high price for someone that doesn't have the skills to do it themselves.

On an intercooler with the bottom in and out, wouldn't simply welding in a mild radius arc or even a lite angle plate help to utilize more of the core. What I mean is take a 3" cutting wheel and stab it into your end tank at say a 25* up angle matching on both sides of the "In" tank, slide a 1/4" X 3" bar in there and weld it shut in order to divert a portion of the air to the rest of the core?
Also, in your model, is there pressure being simulated? Doesn't seem like it. 3.5" ID pipe has a surface area of about 9.6". If the bottom 5 bars (let's say) are what stack up to 3.5" and they have a surface area of 9.6" then the model depicted might be accurate which may be the case in a very wide cooler but if the bottom 5 rows only have a surface area of let's say 4.5" because you aren't using such a fat cooler, the air would have to go up and grab the next 5-6 bars to equalize the pressure drop , wouldn't it? I'm no engineer but it just makes sense to me.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:02 PM
12 Second Club

Damn, thats a nice piece!
Old 01-13-2011, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lovely intercooler there! However what are your feelings on F1 style intercooler inlets? them seem to look very restrictive, but how effective are they at ustilising the whole core?

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?p=41061554

Chris.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now that was a good read.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:24 PM
10 Second Club

Will a really small IC restrict airflow? Like say a 25x12x3 at 20psi?? Im thinking about running a smaller one with my meth system but I dont want the turbo to be pushing 30psi just to get 20 out the other side..
Old 01-13-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

amazing work and tons of great data!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Junkie

good job bro!
Old 01-13-2011, 11:22 PM
Launching!

With the airflow flowing which direction? The thicker the core, the better, if you can make it fit. The shortest possible route for the air the better as well

I am looking at installing a vertical flow IC in a Chevelle and have a decent amount of room. Im looking at this 25 x 9 x 3.5 thick core from treadstone. The core has more passages for less pressure drop and a 9 inch passage of staggered fins which would aid in the short runner cooling. With opposite facing end tanks the flow would seem to be somewhat uniform by flowing from left to right and bottom to top. In theory it would seem to work with less pressure drop. Planning on 10-20psi on e85 also

If i had the resources I would buy a bell core and do a large vertial pass core with better designed end tanks, side inlet bottom and middle outlet top ideally. Any thoughts?

Old 01-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the informative write up.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

great article and even better craftsmanship!
Old 01-18-2011, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Wow absolutely amazing, WOW.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Louis at GSS
Actually, I think Id hang it on the wall, lol!!

Louis

While there is wall art out there that cost a lot more, I can't think of any that is any better looking... Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 01-18-2011, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Beautiful piece but it would come at a VERY high price for someone that doesn't have the skills to do it themselves.

On an intercooler with the bottom in and out, wouldn't simply welding in a mild radius arc or even a lite angle plate help to utilize more of the core. What I mean is take a 3" cutting wheel and stab it into your end tank at say a 25* up angle matching on both sides of the "In" tank, slide a 1/4" X 3" bar in there and weld it shut in order to divert a portion of the air to the rest of the core?
Also, in your model, is there pressure being simulated? Doesn't seem like it. 3.5" ID pipe has a surface area of about 9.6". If the bottom 5 bars (let's say) are what stack up to 3.5" and they have a surface area of 9.6" then the model depicted might be accurate which may be the case in a very wide cooler but if the bottom 5 rows only have a surface area of let's say 4.5" because you aren't using such a fat cooler, the air would have to go up and grab the next 5-6 bars to equalize the pressure drop , wouldn't it? I'm no engineer but it just makes sense to me.
Great observation, It is great work also!

Quick Reply: How to build an 8 sec Air to Air intercooler