Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Anyone regret ditching the AC after going FI for mostly street duty???

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:26 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone regret ditching the AC after going FI for mostly street duty???

Hey all, just spoke to josh at ky turbo and gotta say, AWESOME dude!!! He didn't talk me into getting anything i didn't want and due to my budget limitations, he made it clear to me that the best way to go was with a used procharger setup. Now we discussed several options and at first, i was all for keeping the AC, but now i'm thinking, with a t top car, and the little i'd find myself stuck in the rain one day, is it worth keeping the extra weight/drag?? I WILL keep the heater though!

Whats your thoughts on this please, from guys who mainly street drive their cars with the AC deleted??

Thanks!!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PRAY HRD
Hey all, just spoke to josh at ky turbo and gotta say, AWESOME dude!!! He didn't talk me into getting anything i didn't want and due to my budget limitations, he made it clear to me that the best way to go was with a used procharger setup. Now we discussed several options and at first, i was all for keeping the AC, but now i'm thinking, with a t top car, and the little i'd find myself stuck in the rain one day, is it worth keeping the extra weight/drag?? I WILL keep the heater though!

Whats your thoughts on this please, from guys who mainly street drive their cars with the AC deleted??

Thanks!!
What do you need the AC in the rain for?

It doesnt get hot enough in IL to need AC... I say ditch it. I never used mine when I had it.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:44 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me in isn't an option to lose it. When it comes time to make the purchase I'll spend the little extra money to keep the ac. If you don't have the money wait a little longer until you can afford it and do it right the first time so you're not regretting it down the road and it isn't an option.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:48 PM
9 Second Club

LOL 95 and humidity isn't hot? i would have to differ with ya there. But i only EVER use ac if its raining and hot like that, and especially if my 8 and 9 yr olds are in the car. But like i said, that would rarely if ever happen in this car so i've really started debating keeping it now.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:49 PM
9 Second Club

In florida i'm sure it's not an option! Too many showers to plan around without it.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gets rid of some weight and turbos sound cooler with the windows down anyways
Old 01-19-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been there and will NEVER go back! On my TT T/A I ditched the A/C along with other weight savings mods and it was the most uncomfortable thing to be in. Texas summer are rather warm and humid. Every time I got out the car my whole backside was soaked. Hard to get a chick to knowing ride in something like that LOL! On my current built I swore I'd keep all factory interior and function including A/C, PS, Cruise, etc.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:04 PM
9 Second Club

well i'm going with a procharger actually, just to be clear but not that it matters really.

i've already committed to ditching the power brakes for a full strange setup when the mwc k front end and fab 9 rear gets done. i can live without them. but ps and ac is the tough call for me! eventually this car may become more "like" a racecar, but will never be one exclusively for me. it's not worth all the time and effort. its simply going to be a fast toy, like a scaled down version of something you'd see nelson racing engines put out. just a tire blazer that has a lot of what it takes to get it done if need be. if that makes any sense at all!! LOL
Old 01-19-2011, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You want what everybody wants. A fast car that weighs next to nothing with all the luxury. I live in AZ and haven't had AC for two years. My car is a weekend toy, and see the track about every two months. If you delete your AC you just choose different times of the day to drive your car. It is rare I drive my car in the summer during the day. I drive it all the time at night though, and in the winter I drive it whenever. (no heat in my car either) It really comes down to what you are willing to deal with. Your car is a little bit faster, but you wont becomfortable on cruise day........
Old 01-19-2011, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PRAY HRD
well i'm going with a procharger actually, just to be clear but not that it matters really.

i've already committed to ditching the power brakes for a full strange setup when the mwc k front end and fab 9 rear gets done. i can live without them. but ps and ac is the tough call for me! eventually this car may become more "like" a racecar, but will never be one exclusively for me. it's not worth all the time and effort. its simply going to be a fast toy, like a scaled down version of something you'd see nelson racing engines put out. just a tire blazer that has a lot of what it takes to get it done if need be. if that makes any sense at all!! LOL
I'd say keep the A/C & PS!!!
You can take weight from other places. I have a Procharger myself and kept both. When you say fast what kind of ETs you looking for??
Old 01-19-2011, 03:25 PM
9 Second Club

On the rare occasion i would go, i'd love to see a 9.90 in full street duty. Meaning, drive to, race, and drive home. I would be completely happy with that. Fastest i've ever been to date is 11.17 so i know this will take me well beyond that even with ac and ps in tact. i chose to ditch the power brakes because i already don't have abs anymore and i'm going with the strange brake pkg all around and midwest chassis, which is who i'm having do the work, has assured me the manual setup will give me very strong brake pressure. So i said lets go for it!

But anything faster is just fine with me too!
Old 01-19-2011, 03:27 PM
9 Second Club

btw ss-rob, are you happy with the D1 or do you think with my 402 i should go with an F1A head due to it running cooler in the 12-16 psi range which is where i'll likely be at to reach my goal?
Old 01-19-2011, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

402= F1A if it were me all day long!!!!
I went with a D-1 because future plans are to run close to stock cubes for me.
Have you ever had your car weighed?? Also what is the comp. ratio on the 402??
Old 01-19-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

If you drive it more than occasionally definitely leave it in, esp on the street.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:08 PM
9 Second Club

i'm still leaning towards keeping it as i can always ditch it later.

I've only had the car for going on 3 weeks now so no weight yet. The comp ratio with the milled to 62cc TFS 235 heads is supposed to be 11.2:1cr but have been told by several shops and members on here from a previous post asking that switching to 72cc heads should get me close to 10:1cr.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
gets rid of some weight and turbos sound cooler with the windows down anyways
thats double if you have a TTop
Old 01-19-2011, 05:09 PM
7 Second Club

I dropped AC 2 years ago and haven't regretted it yet.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

depends on your climate. in upstate ny i have 3 cars and no a/c. i don't miss it a bit. my wife on the other hand.....
Old 01-19-2011, 07:26 PM
9 Second Club

Hey you are out of IL too. I'm trying to keep the AC with my turbo build. I'm getting a T4 setup from Josh and want to try as best as I can to keep the AC. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out what I'm going to do with the compressor if I go to stand the radiator up, but figure I'll see when I get there. Not a whole lot of people keep the AC with a turbo setup and that is one of the things I really want to try and keep.

If you want to follow my build, by all means check it out. I'm about an hour or so from you so maybe I'll see you at some car shows come spring.

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/foru...ad.php?t=48439
Old 01-19-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Keep it. Crank the boost .2 psi extra to make up for the extra weight.

Quick Reply: Anyone regret ditching the AC after going FI for mostly street duty???