Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Upgrading...Again....Goodbye P1SC, Hello ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 06:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

PM'ed ya bout my d1 kit
Old 02-06-2011, 07:22 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There's more too it than the flow #'s.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont have $4,000 to pony up for a D1SC, its only 200 cfm more than the P1SC I sold for $2,700 as a complete kit with front mount, all piping, and Vortech Mondo BPV. If it was an F1A with the Big Red Procharger BPV, well thats a different story. Thanks you for the PM though.

On the other hand I have been looking, at all forced induction setups. I was looking at the Novi 2000 unit, despite it being much quieter the the Procharger, but it seems to mainly be a Corvette supercharger. I was checking out turbo setups, and turbochargers really are not that expensive for a quality unit. I can get into a nice TC78 for $899 brand spanking new. I have the room to fit one but the hotpiping is so damned expensive on a turbo setup...I find it retarded you can spend $1200-$6000 on piping that might cost $100 in materials. I talked to Josh at Kentucky Turbos and he said with the cubes I'm running I would need something with a T6 frame. Running a T6 frame requires custom hotpiping and I am just not paying someone $5000 for a little tubing and a few hours worth of work. So that in itself puts be back into superchargers. I am willing to spend up to $4000 on another setup but this time it has got to be what I want and what is required for 408 cubes.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bro you should probably look into material cost again. i have about 1300 bucks so far in just materials in my tubular header setup/single GT47-88. that is all stainless flanges and 11 ga 304 stainless mandrel bends. then it will take another 500-1000 to pay to get it all seamed up and welded. if it's so easy then ry designing and building one yourself. it takes much more time and thought than one would imagine.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

No tig welder man or I would.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...arger-kit.html
Old 02-06-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

Already talked to the guy on it. Its a no go
Old 02-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Banned

Dont take this personaly.

Everyone wants to Bitch, Gripe, and complain about the cost of materials Vs. the costs of purchasing a setup. I run a business. I am in business to make Money. I dont ask my accountant to do my raxes for free. I dont ask the plumber to fix the septic tank for free. I dont ask the Steak house to give me the T-Bone at cost.
I pay to play.

The brass tax is if you dont have the ability to build the parts yourself you buy the parts for the turbo setup and suck it up to the cost's. If you think I am high shop around.

End of Rant.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

I know you have to make money and I know your time is worth money. I know you produce very high quality/show worthy work. I just wish it wasnt so damn expensive lol.

I think I am just going to be better off going with an F1A or D1SC with a good 8 rib tentioner setup.

I also think I need to buy a tig welder from harbor freight. They have them on special right now for $200 and I will just need to get a tank of gas. If its junk and doesnt produce well I have 30 days to take it back.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:59 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask Bob how much for a brand new F1A. Seems last time I checked (was a couple years ago) but it was like $2700ish. That would leave you enough to get the pulleys and j-bracket with standoffs, and enough to piece together your own FMIC.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

Man I dont know why I am getting into a huge hurry. I guess its because I now have a huge gaping hole under the hood of my car now and I am anxious to fill it back up. Last night I did alot of researching on intercoolers and boost drop.

I could not gain more than 5psi with the P1SC and the 408. Now I am trying to figure out a way to reduce the amount of bends and the length of the tubing. If I went with an Air to Water intercooler, I could do just that. I could have a 3 gallon reservoir in the back of the car and add ice when races come up which would lower temperatures below ambient. when not racing the IAT temps might be 10 degrees above what an Air to Air intercooler would be but with much less piping and less pressure drop within the intercooler, you would gain 2-3psi of boost. Now you can compensate the higher IATs with meth.

Just things that have been going through my mind.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

I have a j-bracket for sale, Ill take $100
Old 02-07-2011, 10:36 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah a F1A and a 408 are a proven combo. Id love to be able to buy a F1A unit.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

I found an F1A, now to find out how much he is wanting for it. (crosses fingers)
Old 02-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sschoeffler
I was looking up info on the Novi systems. It seems those are primarily used on vettes. Did they make brackets that adapted them to F-Bodys? Also digging around the forums I found some interesting CFM flow numbers.

Air Flow

Procharger:
P1 - 1200 CFM
D1 - 1400 CFM
F1A - 1650 CFM

Vortech:
S-Trim - 1000 CFM
Si-Trim - 1150CFM
SQ-Trim - 1000 CFM
T-Trim - 1200 CFM
Ysi - 1600 CFM

Paxton:
Novi 1200 - 1000 CFM
Novi 1500 - 1200 CFM
Novi 2000 - 1400 CFM
Novi 2200 - 1450 CFM

1000 CFM = 680 supportable HP
1200 CFM = 825 supportable HP
1400 CFM = 925 supportable HP
1600 CFM = 1200 supportable HP

If thats the case, a D1SC will flow the same as a Novi 2000. Anyone got a cheap D1SC for sale?

Yes your right about Paxton Novi being a LSX vette system, No they dont have a set up for F-bodies,

Mine is on a LS2 , My LS2 came out of a wrecked 07 Vette, The LS2/novi is going in my 87 Buick T type.

I bought a East Coast Novi 2000 system from Chris,
The novi 2000 is a Big blower, much bigger than a D1-sc, the novi is also underated, It has supported over 1,000 HP on LS race motors, I would say it is more = to a F1A.

The main reasons i got a Novi over a Procharger, is that the novi is very quite, The East Coast vette system is a very clean set up, Included is a 8 rib 8" 10% over drive crank damper system, Springe loaded tentioner, and the unit comes Polished.

Not saying the Procharger systems arent as good, My 01 SS makes 740 RWHP @15 PSI on pump gas + methanol injection
Old 02-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Launching!

I dont have $4,000 to pony up for a D1SC, its only 200 cfm more than the P1SC I sold for $2,700 as a complete kit with front mount, all piping, and Vortech Mondo BPV. If it was an F1A with the Big Red Procharger BPV, well thats a different story. Thanks you for the PM though.

On the other hand I have been looking, at all forced induction setups. I was looking at the Novi 2000 unit, despite it being much quieter the the Procharger, but it seems to mainly be a Corvette supercharger. I was checking out turbo setups, and turbochargers really are not that expensive for a quality unit. I can get into a nice TC78 for $899 brand spanking new. I have the room to fit one but the hotpiping is so damned expensive on a turbo setup...I find it retarded you can spend $1200-$6000 on piping that might cost $100 in materials. I talked to Josh at Kentucky Turbos and he said with the cubes I'm running I would need something with a T6 frame. Running a T6 frame requires custom hotpiping and I am just not paying someone $5000 for a little tubing and a few hours worth of work. So that in itself puts be back into superchargers. I am willing to spend up to $4000 on another setup but this time it has got to be what I want and what is required for 408 cubes.

Go F1A, it will be a insane ride,
Supercharger all the way, IMOP for a F-body the way to go, You will have a lot of fun with the F1A,

I hear ya about shops charging a arm and a leg to weld up pipe,
A well know shop he in NY i wont say who, gave me a crazy price, to make me headers and 3" + X pipe exhaust for the Buick T type project i am working on, So i bought my headers from BRP , they are special headers for the LS to buick G-body conversions, Headmen makes the headers for BRP hot rods.
They are 1 7/8" long tubes and to a 3" collector , silver ceramic coated in and out , They look realy nice and well built, and for $1,200 less than the shop wanted for custom built ones, i said $800 sound pretty good a lot better than $2,000 , i realy dont know how they can justify there prices.

Go Supercharged , Hey i am going LS V8 and supercharger in a real buick Turbo T (T-type) ,Grand national which had a 231 V6 turbo in it years ago, To some guys mostly the buick GN croud this would kill them for someone to take a "Real" T-type or GN and rip out the little V6 and install a V8, never mind that i am taking it one more step, supercharging it.

Its about Fun and building a nice ride to enjoy , not to make up go broke or that your working on it more than enjoying it

Good luck
Old 02-07-2011, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know you have to make money and I know your time is worth money. I know you produce very high quality/show worthy work. I just wish it wasnt so damn expensive lol.

I think I am just going to be better off going with an F1A or D1SC with a good 8 rib tentioner setup.

I also think I need to buy a tig welder from harbor freight. They have them on special right now for $200 and I will just need to get a tank of gas. If its junk and doesnt produce well I have 30 days to take it back.
I wouldn't trust a $200 tig welder even for light home duty.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:25 AM
TECH Resident

There is a guy on here that sent me a PM saying he could fab up a complete twin turbo setup for $4000 including turbos. Granted they are ebay turbos but you can upgrade those later and for $250 bucks each, I think it would be worth it to give them a shot. I havnt seen the guys work yet he is supposed to send me some pics of his own setup he did. Price includes Tial BOV, Precision Turbo Wastegates, dual air to water intercoolers with 4 gallon tank, pump, line, hotside, coldside, filters, everything but injectors and a tune. Has dual 2.5 inlet charge pipes that go into 4" for the throttle body. 4" downpipe. He is wanting to use twin 67mm turbos to feed the 408.

I don't know whats going on yet, its still in the air as to what is going to happen. First and foremost I would like to see pictures of his work.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:11 AM
Teching In

You get what you pay for...
Old 02-08-2011, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a guy on here that sent me a PM saying he could fab up a complete twin turbo setup for $4000 including turbos. Granted they are ebay turbos but you can upgrade those later and for $250 bucks each, I think it would be worth it to give them a shot. I havnt seen the guys work yet he is supposed to send me some pics of his own setup he did. Price includes Tial BOV, Precision Turbo Wastegates, dual air to water intercoolers with 4 gallon tank, pump, line, hotside, coldside, filters, everything but injectors and a tune. Has dual 2.5 inlet charge pipes that go into 4" for the throttle body. 4" downpipe. He is wanting to use twin 67mm turbos to feed the 408.

I don't know whats going on yet, its still in the air as to what is going to happen. First and foremost I would like to see pictures of his work.
Yeah just wait for the PM that asks, "hey man, uhh I would like need the like cash right now first b4 I start ur setup, and oh yeah, cash only please, no CC or paypal. Then I can like uh get the stuff, I mean piping, and get to work on it all. It might like uhh take a lil while tho cuz you know how ordering stuff is and whatnot. So we got a deal bro?"

ha-ha sorry dude had to do it cuz it happen WAY TOO much around here. Very sad but true. But good luck with ur FI choices, you just need to pick one and go with it cuz if you keep thinking and thinking, you'll never be happy and end up with some crazy combo that doesnt do **** cuz you needed to get the best deal but not exactly the best part for ur setup. Make sure to do it right or that 5psi is all you'll get the second time around. You cant skimp out on cars if you want to go fast and not die or hurt u or someone else just to save a few bucks. I love the satisfaction of knowing that when I throw it down to second and mash the pedal, Im not going to end up in a million pieces on the road. It makes the fun even that much greater as you're not always worrying "will it last, ****, is something leaking?" etc etc... Sry for the rant. Good luck. cheers

And that whole SC post with the flow #'s, you have to TAKE THAT WITH A GRAIN OF SALT. What engine, the compression, size, what piping, if it has IC or meth, how much backpressure, what size pulley all will play into the roll of how much the SC will work and how much psi you will REALLY get. As you can see it shows the P1 flow 1000cfm which says can get you what, 730hp. NO WAY a P1 setup is getting those numbers in real life scenarios just like ur 5psi it was only able to make. So you have to take those numbers and chop them by a lot, esp if you have mis-matched parts and cheap materials under the hood holding it all together.
keep us posted! Sounds like you really want another blower tho so just find a damn F1a and be happy again. You can save for the other stuff later. ITs not like you NEED to have it all on there for some special comp coming up soon. Do it right.

Quick Reply: Upgrading...Again....Goodbye P1SC, Hello ...