Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Bent turbine, what do you guys think??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 02:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Little point speculating here.It needs a professional to look at it, and repair or balance if needed.

And balancing by removing material at the nut would do virtually nothing. It is car too close to the axis.

They normally balance by grinding weight off the rear flange of the wheels.

Although I guess there is no reason why they may not remove material from some blades too. Although it may hurt efficiency ever so slightly
Old 02-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Little point speculating here.It needs a professional to look at it, and repair or balance if needed.

And balancing by removing material at the nut would do virtually nothing. It is car too close to the axis.

They normally balance by grinding weight off the rear flange of the wheels.

Although I guess there is no reason why they may not remove material from some blades too. Although it may hurt efficiency ever so slightly
The best thing would to have a "pro" look at it. Also to clarify... That what I meant about how the weight balance the turbine shaft. They grind the nut on the end of the turbine shaft(turbine side not compressor side.) Also on the back of the turbine where you can't see unless you take the shaft out. Also I thought that only the compressor wheels are clipped. Ending note... If someone could fix that turbine wheel to make it run without a problem. I would be impressed.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

In a totally different field ive seen large fans (4ft diameter) balanced by material removed form the end of the blade. Like stevieturbo said... to rough balance it im sure they take material off the outer sides, maybe even bend them.... then to fine balance it they go closer to the axis. Why dont you contact Precision? Ive emailed them and they are pretty fast at getting back to you.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:09 PM
8 Second Club

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

What are ball park figures for rebuliding a non BB turbo like this when you have to replace the turbine/shaft??

Remember this is not an off the shelf turbine/shaft... it is a gt42's combo that had its shaft turned down to fit, so will that make it even more expensive??

Again thanks for the input
Old 02-12-2011, 04:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have emailed Scott at Precision and will call him on monday to get some answers and prices. I am also going to call a couple other qualified turbo rebuilders and get quotes and see what they say. I do believe the shorter fins are not an issue, as it is nearly impossible for them to "wear", as in they couldnt possibly rub on something to wear them down without at least touching the other fins. I am more concerned with the two slightly bent fins causing an unbalance. even that I believe would be ok because they did not loose any material, but could be wrong. I have seen people and read of people running turbos that I would never dream of running (not saying that this turbo is fine and obviously not telling Zac to throw it on and see what happens). Just know it was perfect when I sent it and am completely stumped as to how this even happened. I would like to know what some people have payed as well if anyone on here has ever had a wheel or wheel/shaft replaced. Is it necessary to replace the shaft if you replace the wheel? There are questions that I will ask precision on Monday.

From pictures I sent, can they give me an exact estimate
Is the wheel repairable or even in need of repair as straightening it may cause cracking.
What is the price including labor to repair the unit
What warranty comes with the repair
Is is necessary to replace the shaft or can just the wheel be replaced
What could even cause this to happen in the first place
Are the shorter fins a result of damage or just how the wheel was made

All of which I would like answers to and I will work something out with Zac as i already told him. In a way, i guess we are both getting screwed, not knowing how this damage came about, not putting blame on either of us. i just don't understand how a perfectly working unit which was new when I got it, is damaged like this.....Sorry for the essay

Dennis
Old 02-12-2011, 04:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Bent fins like you pictured will not affect balance. They still have the same mass as straight fins, and in the same location
Old 02-12-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought the 75mm (75 exducer/82 inducer) exhaust wheel was standard on the PT76/78?

Either way, I commend you both for being so mature about this. We don't see that a lot in the world today.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:38 PM
9 Second Club

Thats what i thought about the bent fins, as long as no material is missing, it shouldnt affect anything...but Zac is more worried about the shorter fins, which I can not explain or imagine how that would happen unless they are designed that way.....will find out more monday, or if someone posts that knows about these wheels....and thanks Hydro.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:04 PM
TECH Regular

what happens when you put the housing back on? i cant think of any way something could only damage two blades and have one longer one between them.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:16 PM
9 Second Club

nothing touches.....spins perfect, or did neway. I am going to buy the turbo back, just to clear the air and i will have it checked to see what all it needs and if they know what happened.....would still like opinions as to if it would be ok or if its totally fucked though....
Old 02-12-2011, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think since both of you guys are being cool with each other, give it a few days and call around and get expert opinions, that way you can save yourselves the trouble of shipping it all across the country then he buys it in the end. be patient for a short time
Old 02-12-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agreed 100%.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:19 PM
8 Second Club

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

I just want all to know Dennis and I have agreed that i will send the turbo back

he is in the process of a refund, and i will ship it back to him on my dime

Dennis is a STAND UP GUY, if every seller was as responsible as this life would be easier

Thanks Dennis

Zac

I am just going to buy a new unit
Old 02-13-2011, 01:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So the fins were bent, but there was no damage done to the inside of the exhaust housing?
Old 02-13-2011, 01:20 AM
11 Second Truck Club

nice to see men act like men and resolve a problem.

i'm not a turbo "expert", but i do work on alot of turbo stuff. Ive seen quite a few turbos with bent, even chipped/broken fins last for a very long time on motors that run all day over 40 psi. for a car thats gonna be driven several hours per week, i would not be scared to run it, as is. especially since its already been proven to perform.
what's the new reduced price, as is???
Old 02-13-2011, 04:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^I dont care who you are, thats funny right there hahaha, right on brother!
Old 02-13-2011, 09:07 AM
9 Second Club

haha, It'll most likely be put back on my car, as I know it works very well and i have had great luck with it. Also, dont have a couple hundred bucks to get it rebuilt with a new wheel and shaft. may bring it to a local turbo place, midwest fuel injection, to have it balance checked, but other than that....can't wait to be back under boost again!!!
Old 02-13-2011, 09:28 AM
11 Second Truck Club

dont blame you a bit, id run it too..... but im running a rear mount, so thats a big plus for me, if my turbo ***** on me, it'll just blow its guts out the tailpipe, and with 12' of pipe and a 90* verticle turn up, i doubt the shrapnal would make it to the intake. so i'll just stop, close the valve on my oil feed line, and continue driving
Old 02-13-2011, 09:45 AM
9 Second Club

Even with it being on the exhaust side, IF anything did ever happen, it'd just **** out my dp, and the compressor wheel would just hop through my fender.....I am sure I will have it balance checked, but im pretty positive it'll be ok.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Holy *****, that vid def put things into perspective. I'd say send those pics and vid to PTE and see what they say, and see what a rebuild would cost, then go from there.

Quick Reply: Bent turbine, what do you guys think??