Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

tubular K member / turbo plumbing question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 05:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tubular K member / turbo plumbing question

BMR says their "turbo" k member can support up to a 5" downpipe (larger than I will probably ever need) - I was wondering how a "standard" tubular K member for Fbody compares in clearance for turbo plumbing vs a "turbo" k member? I found a good deal on a standard tubular k member locally and am wondering if it'll work fine vs ordering BMR's unit.

I plan to keep stock A arms, the only reason I'm going with a tubular K is in an attempt to keep my air conditioning when I weld up my new turbo plumbing.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the bmr tubular kmember was made for that purpose, for big downpipes and keeping your AC.
you can route it and keep the ac with the standard kmember, but you ll have to be a little more cleaver in the pipe routing.

what size downpipe are you trying to fit, if bigger then a 3" id go with the turbo kmember
Old 02-18-2011, 07:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3" right now, but its possible I could go 4" if I upgrade the turbo and go with a bigger CID engine in the future.

Does the turbo K member sacrifice in another area due to optimizing space for exhaust?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:25 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So from my basic understanding is that to keep all your accessories, including A/C, the Turbo K member will be needed for piping clearence. Good shiz to know as I am making some decisions.....