Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

COT as a Meth Fail-Safe Opportunity

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default COT as a Meth Fail-Safe Opportunity

I am already leaning out my AFR at ideal temps and have built a parabolic fuel adder in the PE IAT Adder table to add fuel in cold or hot swings to get back to a safe 11.5.

Now looking at COT and I know it is calculated and I can see where this could quickly be discounted for straight meth. But for a 50/50 mix where cooling is the primary consideration to avoid detonation, would COT be responsive enough to make it worth tweaking for consideration?
Old 02-28-2011, 12:44 PM
9 Second Club

really ive been looking for a way to do the same thing. but im not that good with hp tuners yet
Old 02-28-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think your engine would be toast by the time COT kicked in.

What i was thinking of doing is fitting a flow switch before the meth jet and have it triggering the nitrous tables in EFILive (pull timing add fuel) when meth pump is running and there is no flow.....
Old 02-28-2011, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Honestly burning up the engine was my first thought if I actually had to depend souly on it, but then I started thinking a little more about it (long drive to work unfortunately). If the meth is not there for a fuel issue, the COT threshold could be tuned right on the edge and the sensors involved with the calculations react fast enough, then whatever enrichment rate in the tune should happen as timely. Just seems like it MIGHT be feasible, but admittedly I am still skeptical.

I was putting a feeler out if anyone had experimented with this idea already. If not, my next "idea" was to run a little experiment by setting the COT temp threshold to something below normal operating temps, start up a cold vehicle and scan while the vehicle comes up to operating temp. so no live engine is actually harmed in the production of a wild idea. Scanning the enrichment kicking in is easy enough but I have some research to do to come up with scanning a calculated temp.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:37 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

On a friends procharged gto I tuned I used timing retard and additional fuel vs iat. When the meth would not spray the iat would rise and dump extra fuel while pulling almost all timing. It worked great as his meth kit failed to work atleast 2 or 3 quarter mile passes. This was a stock bottom end ls1 with 241 heads, d1sc, trex cam and ran 10.7 with a 6 speed manual.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply. I am doing the Add vs. IAT now actually covering the cold and hot swings (parabolic/bowl shaped curve) and leaned the PE vs. RPM. I didn't pull any more spark for heat than what was there without the meth as I am trying to not lose a beat by having the fuel step back in when the meth fails or some other event that triggers temp swing. Though agreed it would be another safety net to pull more of the spark. Just toying with the idea that the COT strategy which has some tables geared for saving something from death by meltdown, could provide something here if the fact it works off a calculated number is not a deal breaker. I will play around with it (safely) this weekend if I don't get any real world been-there done-that hits between now and then.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Pm frost on the boards or search some of his post on hptuners forums. He has tuned quite a few boosted cars with a meth setup. He knows what works and doesn't for a fail safe.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

I actually threw it out there on the HP board first but no bites so far. I will trying giving it a bump....there are a couple of others there that may have some thoughts as well.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:22 PM
9 Second Club

hp tuner's froum pisses me off they never just come out and say what to do or how to do anything. they just answer with more ?????????????
Old 03-02-2011, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

I have gotten pretty good help on more specific down to earth questions and Bill has always been helpful otherwise unless you use 2.24 in the question. I got to think this question is off the beaten path so most have not really given it any thought, or since there are so many other options figure its not worth thinking about, or believe I done gone Sheen on em.

Quick Reply: COT as a Meth Fail-Safe Opportunity