Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Back to the drawing board

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011 | 11:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Back to the drawing board

So a couple of months back I had a small engine fire due to my STS return oil line cracking and leaking down my header needless to say that was a bad day. Lucky for me I had a fire extinguisher handy. It didnt tear up to much but I am pulling the motor to replace the bearings and oil pump and paint under the hood and reroute the wiring but I also plan to go front mount from here on out. I have a few questions for you guys.

1. I have the upgraded 76mm STS turbo it has a .96ar will that work good up front?

2. I plan to upgrade the fuel system while I am at it I plan to use a 8-an supply and the stock pressure line as a return and after market rails how much should I plan to spend for the an-fittings and line and do you know of a place I can get good stuff for cheap?

3. I am going to run a 1:1 fuel pressure regulator I want a good one so recomendations please?

4. Can I run the 80lbm siemens low impendance without a injector driver ( I am going to tune with E-85, since fuel costs keep climbing.) or should I go 60 lbm?

5. I need a new cat back since I am getting rid of the STS, I like the way the SLP loudmouth I sounds, only will it flow enough to support 700+RWHP, if not what works?

6. I like a choppy idling car, now I know that overlap and turbos arnt best friends but I would like to have a little bit of a chop. I have a custom ground Comp specs as follows. 540/540 224/220 and 117 lobe sep the car sounds like a stock T/A with an exhuast from idle. Kind of funny because unless you see the intercooler up front you would never know its got real work done, suprised a lot of people. Anyway I hear turbo cars at the track that sound nasty all the way from idle and up. So what are the real negatives of running a cam with like a 112 lobe sep?

7. How do you guys feel about the godspeed hot pipe kit on ebay I think it is better than my current setup,(that being the STS). Has anyone run one, (the pictures look nice), or should I go with a PTK setup? I dont want to have to stand up my radiator. I am fine with alternator relocation.

8. I recently moved to the Charleston, SC area, are there any good tuners down in the low country?

9. Off the turbo topic but the fire damaged the rubber grommet houses the steering column where it comes out of the fire wall any ideas where I can find one. GM dealer is a bust or should I grab a used one from a salvage yard?

Thanks a lot guys
Attached Thumbnails Back to the drawing board-sany0068.jpg   Back to the drawing board-sany0070.jpg  
Old 03-20-2011 | 12:11 PM
9 Second Club

Sorry to hear about the fire! What about keeping what you already have, selling the turbo and getting one of those oil less comp turbos? You'll need to run coolant lines back there but they wont cause a fire if they leak! Also i hear they spool much faster which will also help being rear mount. Just a thought. GL
Old 03-20-2011 | 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

Brute speed cam, nice and choppy, turbo will be ok for the front on stock cubes just run a 3 inch down with a single bvullet inlineand you will be ok.
Old 03-20-2011 | 03:32 PM
9 Second Club

+1 on the Brute Speed (EPP) Cam!
Old 03-20-2011 | 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone have a sound clip of the brute speed, or a link?

Not trying to stay remote anymore got tired of the spool up time oil leaks twisted/cracked catbacks, and failed return pumps, ect. I eventually wrapped my entire exhaust from the headers all the way to the turbo that helped, but my car being lowered ended up being a pain because my drive way kept ripping the wrap on the ory and it whenever I would hit a dip on the highway the charge pipe would hit right where it connects at the control arm fixed a lot of boost leaks there and I am sick of buying silicone and t bolt clamps for that piece. Also the car is still going to see some street use it wont be a daily driver anymore, but will see a lot more track duty. Its getting caged and I want to put subframe conectors on it too so the remote has to go. I will probably be using the waste gate and turbo from the STS. I also dont want to have to deal with cleaning the airfilter everytime I get caught in the rain in the thing the STS was easy and I dont regret using it, I learned a lot about FI over the past few years and it was fun, I am just ready to move to bigger things I plan to go up to 700+ at the wheels and eventually go with an even bigger turbo got to learn how to walk before you run rather not put my car into the wall at the big end because it got away from me because I wasnt ready for the power.

Good news is I will let go of all of my extra stuff for cheap exhuast and minus the turbo and waste gate for cheap for anyone wanting to do a custom rear mount but that is for another forum.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Anybody know for sure if I can run 80lbm siemens low impendence for sure or is it just a rumor I know the terminator guys do it.
Old 03-21-2011 | 06:32 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Brute speed cam, nice and choppy, turbo will be ok for the front on stock cubes just run a 3 inch down with a single bvullet inlineand you will be ok.
Originally Posted by PRAY HRD
+1 on the Brute Speed (EPP) Cam!
Thanks! Here is a link to this cam. http://shop.brutespeed.com/Comp-Brut...n-Camshaft.htm Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 03-21-2011 | 01:19 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

A- No, low impedance injectors cant be used without a driver box.

B- if you are going E85, you will need more than 80# injectors for 700+rwhp.
Old 03-21-2011 | 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the heads up. So how big of an injector size do I need for E85 or should I just stick with 93 pump and C16 for the track?

Quick Reply: Back to the drawing board