Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Passanger side APS waste gate removal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passanger side APS waste gate removal?

As some of you know or may not know? Its impossible to get to that one passenger side APS W/G bolt to remove it either for romoval ,or for inspection of the diagram itself without having to remove the whole dam down pipe from the turbo which is a mother ****** and am being easy saying this lol What i did when i had the K member out putting in my new BMR (BARNAT) APS K member lol,, i removed that impossible bolt and marked that hole with arrows pointing to the new bolt direction ,,I drilled out the threaded side of that hole which the bolt will now slid threw from the opposite side and tapped (threaded) the other side which just happened to be the right size hole already for the tap i used.I also had a bolt company make me these special 12 point bolts for me so i can remove this passenger side waste gate now with a 1/4 drive extension that fits between these 2 pipes here without pulling the freakin K member or down pipe
Here's a few pics of what you can do the next time you ever have it off !
Remember ,,,,Dont drill threw both flanges!!!! Just the one were the bolts going to face threw and the other just gets tapped!Look close at my pics before you do this yourself!
I also wanted 12 point bolt just because a stripped 6 point bolt head would just ruin your day on something like this LOL

Last edited by barnat; 03-23-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:07 PM
9 Second Club

Ed i can get mine out just fine and im working around a 4L80 LOL
Old 03-24-2011, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tomz28
Ed i can get mine out just fine and im working around a 4L80 LOL
The way mine is ,,there is no way to get my hand or socket up there and around the top of the down pipe to even get my fingers to this one bolt no matter what i tryed My passenger waste gate is right up against my tranny pan to begine with where i can't move or spin it for that matter to get me better access to this bolt. Im running a 4l60 and still had to take a file to my B&M tranny pan lip just so it wasnt digging in lol
Anyways,,, I can get to her now,,((super easy)) and this is all that matters to me. Especially without taking the down pipe off to do it and exhaust . I reach up onto top of the down pipe with my tiny 12 point socket and slide my 1/4 extention inbetween those 2 pipes there and its now a strait shot at that one tough bolt The Kicker here is ,,,,it doesnt cost jack **** to do if this if your down pipe is already off and is why i posted this mod! I have 3 extra bolts too if someone else has ever tryed just removing this passanger W/G
Its a FREE and easy mod that anybody with a APS can do to make future maintaince easyer,,,, is all !

Last edited by barnat; 03-24-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

This was my view of my problem i had with it buried up into the car
I could get to ALL of the other bolts but the very top one here and the W/G housing was in my way to come from the back and i couldnt get a good bit from the left at such a angle with taking a chance of stripping the bolt and theres no room to even think of a wrench I tryed everything next to lowering the down pipe alittle which is what i did to get her off for these pics,, but then you have to drop the exhaust and who wants to do all this **** every time you want to check or clean your W/G's

Last edited by barnat; 03-24-2011 at 09:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Passanger side APS waste gate removal?