Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Another Newbie Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another Newbie Question

I recently purchased an LS1 for my project, and have ever intention of doing a twin turbo setup. I'd like to make 800hp at the flywheel, or at least in that neighborhood.

It seems like a lot of you are all for a single turbo system, and while I don't object to this, for packaging reasons, I think a twin is the best for me.

I have been pestering some people on the second gen board, and they are saying that ls1's have trouble with boost. I plan on replacing all internals, and going with AFR heads. I'm curious as the to displacement (to stroke?), compression ratio (pistions), and boost numbers that would be most appropriate for this project. I have plenty of time, and I don't mind building it slowly over time, so saving up a chunk of cash to buy some nice parts is not a problem. I'm not going to be one of those "I want 2000hp, under $1500" people.

I guess I want to know if the LS1 is going to be the best platform for this project, or should I be looking at boosting a gen1 block.

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

twins are scarce as not to many are produced
you hace incon, which went out of business and CAS which is super slow, read that stickey in the top of this section about 1 year CAS
there are a few others out, but i dont think they are designed to support over 500rwhp.
it seems that most turbo guys are doing better with built 346-348 motors
we have y2khawk, Rob R, mightymouse, prostock John, Twntrbce, Scottws6, nbmws6 all making big numbers using stock displacement.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info... i'm not so much concerned with finding a turbo kit, as i can easily make my own with the right research and parts... my only hangup will most likely be computer related, as i haven't really messed with vehicle computers before (other than yanking the one out of my '81)...

thanks again...