Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Another PCV question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 06:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Another PCV question

This is still unanswered from what I can see on the site as to what is the "right" way to do a PCV system. You get some that say eliminate PCV all-together and run twin breathers, some that say crossover, and -10AN on each valve cover to a breather with a vent, some say to install check valves and run to the inlet of the turbo so... here's what I was going to do:

Breather on DS valve cover
PCV on PS valve cover to catch can
catch can to inlet (filter) side of turbo.

Vaccum leaks? How should it be with what I have... Victor JR intake, low profile elbow, 78mm valve body, LS1 valley pan.

Thanks in advance fellas!
Old 04-11-2011, 07:10 PM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Doesn't make any sense since you would loose any benefit from pre turbo vacuum if leave the other bank vented to the atmosphere
Old 04-11-2011, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and to think i was goin to ask you about the same thing... your supposed to be my turbo guru...
Old 04-11-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 67Firebird455
This is still unanswered from what I can see on the site as to what is the "right" way to do a PCV system. You get some that say eliminate PCV all-together and run twin breathers, some that say crossover, and -10AN on each valve cover to a breather with a vent, some say to install check valves and run to the inlet of the turbo so... here's what I was going to do:

Breather on DS valve cover
PCV on PS valve cover to catch can
catch can to inlet (filter) side of turbo.

Vaccum leaks? How should it be with what I have... Victor JR intake, low profile elbow, 78mm valve body, LS1 valley pan.

Thanks in advance fellas!
I have not gone past 5psi yet, but have yet to see an issue with my PCV setup the way it is.

i run no catch can, Considering it but it will be closed.

I run both valve covers to a moroso exhasut Evac nipple, then i run the valley to its own.

But heres the catch, sense the moroso doesnt pull any vacuum at idle, i ran the pcv stock from the valley cover to the manfold with a one way check valve so that i cant blow out boost. So...

Under light throttle, i still have the manifold doing its job. (the reason im considering a closed catch can)

and under heavy boost i have the evac nipples. it cant pull from the manifold due to the one way check valve, so it only pulls from the valley at that time.

So basically, i made it have vacuum all the time. As long as the moroso deal does its job.

But at this point, i have zero reason to believe its not.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

Have you hooked up a gauge to the crankcase to be sure it doesnt pull any vacuum? The only time I really care that there is vacuum is when Im going WOT so Ill just use the evacs all the time.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
Have you hooked up a gauge to the crankcase to be sure it doesnt pull any vacuum? The only time I really care that there is vacuum is when Im going WOT so Ill just use the evacs all the time.
Im confused, lol.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

Travis - I know I know... I am, except the PCV system is not set in stone anywhere on this site, lol. Since we're building "street cars", I figured it's worth a shot. Yours will be slightly different because you've got the LS6 valley pan, which is an awesome spot to pull from without sucking oil.

Everyone else - LOL, I had thought about using the moroso exhaust scavenge kit and adding it downline in the downpipe somewhere, but so many said it doesn't work (who knows why).
Old 04-11-2011, 11:59 PM
11 Second Club

i lost all hope in you now t bone... thanks... guess its time to scrap the GTO and turn the talon in a a RACE CAR!! LOL

get the fam feeling better man im bored out of my mind!
Old 04-12-2011, 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by yelo04goat
i lost all hope in you now t bone... thanks... guess its time to scrap the GTO and turn the talon in a a RACE CAR!! LOL

get the fam feeling better man im bored out of my mind!
Travis - Let's do it!

Guys, anyone have anything constructive to say about my setup I plan on using?

Quick Reply: Another PCV question