Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbo and oil pressure ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default turbo and oil pressure ?

on my 99 t/a..i just turbo'd, and installed a custom grind cam this past winter..maybe im just being too paranoid but, when the car is cold, i have great oil pressure..when it starts to get to operating temp, im at around 30 pounds at idle..it used to hover around 40 before i installed the turbo...engine has a ported ls6 oil pump and was on last summer also..and im running 5w-30 mobil one fully synthetic oil..someone please tell me im nuts!?!
Old 04-15-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're nuts......

Sorry, nobody else chimed in. LOL...
30psi at idle is fine as long as it climbs well with RPM to over 50psi at redline.
The old school 10psi per 1,000rpm is more than is needed with the LS engines because they have more efficient oiling systems.
I am in the same boat. I am a converted SBC guy used to 70+psi at redline, so I am still trying to get used to seeing lower readings.
I am running twin s366's and a Katech pump, and they advised that my pressure is fine at 25+ hot idle/ 55 at 6k.

Jim
Old 04-15-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

You are noticing the difference due to the extra heat in your oil. More heat equals thinner oil and a little less pressure. You could always switch to a 40 weight oil if it makes you feel better. But as said above you are fine as it is.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for telling what i was hoping for..lol..i was thinking the same as well with the turbo heating the oil making it damn near water thin..

Quick Reply: turbo and oil pressure ?