Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

School me a little on Superchargers...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default School me a little on Superchargers...

Why does it seem like most people run the Prochargers on their LSx blocks rather than the roots style? Is it just hood clearance issues? Or what? Because aren't the roots style blowers more efficient? I'd much rather put a Maggie or Whipple on my LSx rather than a procharger, but maybe someone can help me understand why. Thanks!
Old 04-16-2011, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's your LSX in? That's the big question lol
Old 04-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TurboGoKart
Why does it seem like most people run the Prochargers on their LSx blocks rather than the roots style? Is it just hood clearance issues? Or what? Because aren't the roots style blowers more efficient? I'd much rather put a Maggie or Whipple on my LSx rather than a procharger, but maybe someone can help me understand why. Thanks!
THe prochargers are more efficient, They produce less heat and take less power to turn.

The roots types generate a lot of heat with a lot of boost.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Ahhh. I was thinking it was the other way around. Fair enough.

My LS1 is in a Nissan 240. Lol.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The twin screw like Whipple or Kenne Bell are more efficient supposedly than roots style, more on par with centrifugal.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:07 PM
Launching!

They are still much more prone to heatsink.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also prone to having more low end torque, so its all a trade off, unless you use a turbo, which is superior to them all.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

^^Haha. That is true. Does it help at all being intercooled? I mean, of course it does, but does it bring it down to the level of a procharger? Are most people running intercoolers on their Procharged or s/c setups in general?

Thanks for the good replies and not totally flaming me lol. I've been trying to look around at people's build threads and whatnot, but seems like everyone's using the prochargers. This is my first LSX and I'll never use another platform. My setup so far is:

LS1
Torquer v3 cam
PRC valve spring kit and pushrods
LS6 intake
25% UD pulley
160* t-stat
1 3/4" headers to high velocity 3" merge collectors, to a high flow true Y pipe to a single 3" Magnaflow, all exhaust is 3"
Cold air intake
Stock 853 heads, stock bottom end.

Car made 396whp/385tq, but already looking to research the next step lol. I'm still hesitant to spray it, mostly because nitrous is like $5/lb here lol. It's fun as hell in that little 240 though. I'll probably piece together whatever F/I way I go, mainly because everything else has been custom, and no one makes any kits for this swap lol.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your options are
Make your own sc bracket and drive for a centrifugal head unit or adapt an existing LSX kit to your car

Sell your current exhaust and headers and
A: make your own single front mount from mix and match ls manifolds or shorty headers
B: use ls manifolds ( most likely a set of c6 manifolds will work correct) and wrap the exhaust all the way to the rear and build a remote mount single turbo setup.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:52 AM
12 Second Club

And swap out those heads for AT LEAST some 241's
Old 04-17-2011, 04:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say run a procharger but I might be a little biased in my opinions. I like being able to make many pulls in row and not worry about high *** IAT's lol. Now if you do want to do a positive displacement blower....go with a twin screw and not a roots style. Kenne belle or whipple are your best bet. Let me ask you this, what are your goals? What do you want to do with the car?
Old 04-17-2011, 06:36 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Also, having all of that instant low end torque isn't always a good thing, especially if you don't have the traction or suspension to be able to use it. You know how frustrating it is to try and put power to the ground when it's raining, well, that's what it would be like with all of that torque instantly coming in at 2000 rpm, espically with a light car like a Nissan 240. Now if it were a 4000lb 2010 camaro, then that extra low end torque helps get it's fatass going, but remember, you can only go as fast as your wheels will turn you. If they are spinning, you're losing acceleration.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:12 AM
TECH Regular

my $2 is that turbo is better...

that is all...
Old 04-17-2011, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

I just want a fun *** car to drive, and it will be drag oriented/Mexico freeway car. Plus, this is our hobby, and leaving my car alone would be pointless lol.

I have plenty of room to run the Camaro s/c bracket setup. I'm still not sure which direction I want to go, although I know whichever way it is, I'll need at the LEAST, a new cam, and some rod bolts. And yes, I'd like to ditch those POS 853's. My guess is I'll end up doing heads before I go F/I. I'll put at least 243's on there, but probably some better heads than that. Might as well do it right the first time.

I have the 275/40/17 MT ET streets out back right now, but I can fit the 315 ET's. It hooks right now pretty good in a straight line. Except in the rain lol. But that's obviously a given. I understand about the power coming on quick on the low end, but the same would go for when the turbo hits full boost, depending on how many lbs and the size of the turbo you run. Either way, if you can't put the power down, it's pointless lol. My suspension is all upgraded too and its pretty stiff. I just went with an off the shelf coilover kit, but i will try to soften the rears.

About the turbo, I have room to do twins. I'd much rather do a big single though. Do you lose anything running a crossover pipe from one side to the other? I ask because I don't have room to put a single right in front, but I do have plenty of room to put it on one side or the other.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

As far as positive displacement blowers go, I have plenty of room up top to put one on. Sure the hood will need to be modified a little but that's whatever. My whole motor sits in the engine bay, so the firewall is not an issue. Do these style blowers stick past the heads on the trans side of the motor? If so, does anyone know how much?
Old 04-17-2011, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you lose anything running a crossover pipe from one side to the other?
No thats not a concern at all in any way shape or form! Look at a TC76 or TC78 or MPT76 for a single, very small and easily 700-800whp capable.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Ok cool! Thanks! I figured it wouldn't be that big of a deal since some people run rear mounted turbo kits anyways which is sort of the same idea. My only thought was having different distances for the exhaust gases to go before they get to the turbo. But as in 180* headers, that could also work to your advantage I suppose.

I'd like to keep the block stock for now (minus rod bolts), and still keep some sort of reliability to it. From what I've been looking at, that's somewhere in the 550-600whp range? More? Less?
Old 04-17-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 133 Likes on 64 Posts

Ok cool! Thanks! I figured it wouldn't be that big of a deal since some people run rear mounted turbo kits anyways which is sort of the same idea. My only thought was having different distances for the exhaust gases to go before they get to the turbo. But as in 180* headers, that could also work to your advantage I suppose.

I'd like to keep the block stock for now (minus rod bolts), and still keep some sort of reliability to it. From what I've been looking at, that's somewhere in the 550-600whp range? More? Less?
Good ole Grove City eh?? i used to work at the sherwin williams plant right off the highway!

but in my opinion, if your going turbo, dont worry about swapping the heads unless you get a killer deal on some because they dont make a huge difference at the power level youre going for.

and yeah youll be fine whereever you put the crossover(as long as its in the front)

500-600whp range seems to be the magic number but its all about the tune and how high you rev it. A lot of the people who blow their motors are spinning them 6k plus. If youre on a stock block, rod bolts or not, the heat generated above redline just destroys the stock pistons. Many of the long lasting stock block ls1's are not rev'd that high which is something that isnt said a lot.

Adding Meth injection to an already good fuel setup seems to help a lot too
Old 04-17-2011, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Great info. Thanks! Yup, Grove Tucky lol. I already have a 16gallon sumped cell with an Aeromotive Platinum series pump. It's rated to 700hp, so I should be good for my goal. That's good to know about the rpms too. Makes sense, but yeah I could imagine it's often overlooked. Honestly, if I was around 550whp, that'd be great for awhile. Or a couple days haha. It helps that this car is 500-600lbs lighter than a Vette. Id really like to swap a 454 Bowtie block into the car and still run n/a lol. But that'll add 100lbs to the front of the car. But then again, all the turbo stuff will add probably about that much too. Hmm....lol.

I really do appreciate the great info here. Helps me out a ton! Feel free to keep adding more! 8)
Old 04-17-2011, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 133 Likes on 64 Posts

Great info. Thanks! Yup, Grove Tucky lol. I already have a 16gallon sumped cell with an Aeromotive Platinum series pump. It's rated to 700hp, so I should be good for my goal. That's good to know about the rpms too. Makes sense, but yeah I could imagine it's often overlooked. Honestly, if I was around 550whp, that'd be great for awhile. Or a couple days haha. It helps that this car is 500-600lbs lighter than a Vette. Id really like to swap a 454 Bowtie block into the car and still run n/a lol. But that'll add 100lbs to the front of the car. But then again, all the turbo stuff will add probably about that much too. Hmm....lol.

I really do appreciate the great info here. Helps me out a ton! Feel free to keep adding more! 8)
I was a huge N/A guy a few years ago so i know what you mean but turbo V8's are just so much more badass. Most people still expect muscle cars and V8's to be N/A when they see/hear them coming down the road then they hear the turbo and the facial expression does a 180 haha.

With yours being a 240, you already confuse people after they hear and piece together whats going on so throwing a turbo into the mix is just that much better.

Quick Reply: School me a little on Superchargers...