Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

droping boost procharger

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default droping boost procharger

i have a 01 ss with a p-1 and epp cam.and bolt ons. it will hit 7 psi at like 5000rpm then drop down too 5psi by 6500rpm..is this belt slip or the bypass leting off???
Old 04-27-2011, 10:43 PM
Teching In

good question... I would say either... no way to tell.... tighten or change the belt?... or replace bypass.... its worth doing both...
Old 04-28-2011, 05:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'll bet it is belt slippage. With a P-1 you probably have a six rib belt system, the blower belt needs to be kept very tight. Wipe the blower off and keep an eye on it, belt slippage will result in black dust showing up on the blower. When installing a new blower belt, don't go wide open throttle for the first hour as the belt needs to break in. Once the belt is broken in you will find that it has stretched, and it will then need to be tightened back down. Do this before going wide open throttle with a new belt, as once a belt slips it is more prone to slippage. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 04-28-2011, 08:38 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
I'll bet it is belt slippage. With a P-1 you probably have a six rib belt system, the blower belt needs to be kept very tight. Wipe the blower off and keep an eye on it, belt slippage will result in black dust showing up on the blower. When installing a new blower belt, don't go wide open throttle for the first hour as the belt needs to break in. Once the belt is broken in you will find that it has stretched, and it will then need to be tightened back down. Do this before going wide open throttle with a new belt, as once a belt slips it is more prone to slippage. Bob

Good advice about not going wot for a while, I didn't think of that. I'm guessing that once the belt slips, it hazes and heats up the polymers in the belt and causes a surface polymerization that greatly reduces the coefficient of friction.... beltslip.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:32 AM
11 Second Club

Ill try these thanks