Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS --(anyone who maybe considering a turbo)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 02:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS --(anyone who maybe considering a turbo)

I first want to start off by saying I am not partial to any company, nor am I trying to advertise specifically for STS, however, I have an interesting story I thought I would share to give STS much deserved recognition.

A few years ago I sold my 2002 WS6 --and off to Canada it went. My brother and I have always been into the muscle car game, and he decided to spite me and go buy an LSx car this year. He purchased a 2007 Trailblazer SS with a single turbo STS kit already installed on the car.

Mistake #1) I tend to not buy cars with modifications from previous owners, but this car was just drop dead sexy, and was previously owned by Speed Inc's owner. (Just to inform everyone, SpeedInc is in no way, shape or form liable for the failure of the oil pump. Sometimes oil pumps suck, and the car has had two previous owners now)

Furthermore, he bought the car, drove it home from Chicago and was rollin in style for a few months, problem free. Then came a huge issue. Tons of smoke pouring out the exhaust pipe and a screechingly loud alarm coming from the turbo oil pump(scavenger) alarm.

The only forced induction I have ever dealt with in my life is Nitrous and I am absolutely clueless when it comes to turbo's. I had no idea what to do. I called around everywhere asking for advice, little did I know that STS themselves were so willing to help.

Freddy at STS was extremely knowledgeable and friendly. He literally sat on the phone with me for more than twenty minutes just the first time I called him to describe the different possible issues that could be happening.
He then sent me a 5 page long trouble shooting diagnostic sheet.

We had many, many of those twenty minute conversations.

I went through all the wiring diagrams and made sure all wires had power and were intact-- everything checked out OK.
I checked the cold side of the turbo/intake area for any oil- nothing.

At this point it could only be two things, the turbo seals were fu*ked or the scavenger pump had gone out.

We were absolutely convinced it was the turbo, because it was spewing oil out everywhere (seals), and because one of our turbo-savvy friends said with 95% certainty it was the turbo. Freddy was convinced otherwise. He warned me to check the scavenger pump before I went through the trouble of removing the turbo just to find out the turbo wasnt the issue.

Of course, and any turbo enthusiast with previous knowledge would know to check the scavenger pump first, but I suck at turbo's and Freddy described to a TEE absolutely everything I needed to know. Sure enough it was the scavenger pump. For some reason the gears were catching on the bottom of the cover causing them to not turn.

I got a bigger gasket, some RTV high temp and cleaned the **** out of the electric motor, slapped it all back together, and in a matter of three or four hours I was driving down the highway listening to the sexy *** sound of the ever-spooling STS turbo; which helped me overtake the 45MPH Grandma driving in the fast lane next to me.

Freddy, you saved me a **** load of money and a ton of work. Here's to you

On a further note from people with turbo knowledge, what would cause the Scavenger pump to fail like that?
It sits about 5-7" (approx) off the ground, right in front of the radiator.
It for some reason only stops working while driving the car in rain, which has only been twice since my brother has bought the car. BOTH times it has messed up. Maybe coincidence?
Regardless, got a slight rain tonight in St. Louis and sure enough there goes the scavenger pump again. Out with the old scavenger and in with a new! Hope that fixes the problem eh?
Old 05-20-2011, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

Dude, to the best of my knowledge the scavenge pumps they are using or have used..whatever.. are cheap.
However, as far as support, congrats and thank you STS.

I bought a turbowerx exa pump (and they have other versions that don't cost as much) and mocal does too.

1stly I got rid of the resistor crap to slow the turbo and all their switches. Did my own PCV setup & catch can

2ndly I bought the turbo werx pump and haven't looked back, never had a single problem rain shine or snow.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
Dude, to the best of my knowledge the scavenge pumps they are using or have used..whatever.. are cheap.
However, as far as support, congrats and thank you STS.

I bought a turbowerx exa pump (and they have other versions that don't cost as much) and mocal does too.

1stly I got rid of the resistor crap to slow the turbo and all their switches. Did my own PCV setup & catch can

2ndly I bought the turbo werx pump and haven't looked back, never had a single problem rain shine or snow.
Heres pics of my setup.... STS brought up a pretty good point: when water comes in contact with the scav pump it can seize up because the scav pump is like 200 degrees, and the water is much cooler...

I am going to remount this oil pump this week sometime. I dont know why it was mounted in this position. Its in the perfect spot to get hit by rain.
Where did you mount yours at?

Anyone have any idea why would this fuse blow (first pic)? Im pretty sure its the fuse for the scav. pump, could be wrong...? (15 amp fuse coming off the fuse box, in the same wire loom as the high/low pressure scav pump switch, and the scav oil pump alarm)

Old 06-10-2011, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

all fixed up. turned out to be a short in the oil pump electric motor. got a new pump from sts. gotta love the customer service at sts. thanks guys!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So there's a Trailblazer with a rear mount out here... hmmm lol

Quick Reply: STS --(anyone who maybe considering a turbo)