Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Standing up radiator mod to retain ac

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Standing up radiator mod to retain ac

How many people have done this mod to retain ac on their car and regret doing it.I see many people complete this mod and their car looks great i just would like to hear how hard its going to be to keep the car cool .
Old 05-24-2011, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its not to retain ac, its to make room for the turbo
the car should not overheat unless there is something wrong with the cooling system
Old 05-24-2011, 05:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
its not to retain ac, its to make room for the turbo
the car should not overheat unless there is something wrong with the cooling system
Bingo, The thing is that retaining AC is pricy. The additional cost of tube headers, new condenser and lines racks up a bit. Regardless you will need to stand up the radiator for most front mount turbo installs. The issue I ran into is that having the condenser on the front of the rad and puller fans on the back meant having to cut the hood latch and build new brackets.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by willizm
Bingo, The thing is that retaining AC is pricy. The additional cost of tube headers, new condenser and lines racks up a bit. Regardless you will need to stand up the radiator for most front mount turbo installs.
You don't have to buy tubular turbo headers to retain the AC. With a mid sized turbo (Turbonetics TC-ish) you can keep the radiator in the stock location with the turbo tucked in close and pusher fans on.

I'll have to find the link, but I found some pictures of a C6/Truck manifold build by a speed shop and they didn't have to modify the hood latch, kept the swaybar, and the radiator in the stock location. Yeah, you have to buy a BMR turbo K member, but keeping the A/C and not buying a $300 "vertical" radiator made it an easy choice for me.

Quick Reply: Standing up radiator mod to retain ac