Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharging 98 LS1 Z28 6spd

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 01:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharging 98 LS1 Z28 6spd

Going to buy the Procharger kit, debating on spending the extra on the D1SC. I don't plan on running anymore than the preset 7psi.

Also, if you guys had a little extra to spend what other bolt ons on this 98 would you choose to benefit on the power side? Would an LS6 intake help? Headers? Exhaust? Maf? Ported TB? What would you guys that have been there recommend? I also have a set of stock 241's I'm thinking about putting on here - maybe, just maybe a small cam if it'll benefit much.

This car is BONE stock. I'm expecting to hit 450-475rwhp with this kit maybe? I would love to do a few other things and knock on 500rwhp's door.

I also may be and idiot and this be outside the normal limits.
Thanks guys.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:50 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by usmonaro
Going to buy the Procharger kit, debating on spending the extra on the D1SC. I don't plan on running anymore than the preset 7psi.

Also, if you guys had a little extra to spend what other bolt ons on this 98 would you choose to benefit on the power side? Would an LS6 intake help? Headers? Exhaust? Maf? Ported TB? What would you guys that have been there recommend? I also have a set of stock 241's I'm thinking about putting on here - maybe, just maybe a small cam if it'll benefit much.

This car is BONE stock. I'm expecting to hit 450-475rwhp with this kit maybe? I would love to do a few other things and knock on 500rwhp's door.

I also may be and idiot and this be outside the normal limits.
Thanks guys.
How much boost the blower can produce depends on many variables.
* Cubic inch. The larger the engine the less boost it will make with a supercharger.
* Headers and exhaust. A better flowing system will produce less boost, requires a smaller pulley to regain the loss in boost. Ultimately though, more power will be gained.
* Camshaft and heads. A camshaft with some overlap will leak out some boost through the valves. Better flowing heads react a lot like a better flowing exhaust system.
* Altitude. Elevation plays a big part in how much boost is produced. Those people living in the higher elevations have to spin the blower harder to see boost.
* Condition of engine. An engine with real good sealing rings will ultimately produce more boost than one with worn rings.
* Rpm. An engine that is spun up higher in the rpm range will normally produce more boost.

I take into account the above information when taking a customers order, so the correct size blower pulley is spec'd out to make the amount of boost the customer wants the blower to produce. If you had a kit on your stock car and it was making 7 psi and you then added headers and exhaust, it would lower the boost to 5.5 psi or so. You would then have to swap to a smaller blower pulley to get the boost back up. All of this also affects the tune, so it's going to cost you a lot less to figure out what you want to go with before ordering the ProCharger.

I highly recommend going with the ProCharger D-1SC 8 rib kit over the P-1SC-1 kit. The D-1SC doesn't have to work as hard, and if you ever forge the engine and want to make more boost, the D-1SC can produce a lot more boost than the P-1SC-1. The 8 rib belt system is superior to the 6 rib belt system, the 6 rib can give you belt slippage problems and the 6 rib crank pulley is a very small 6.00 dia, the 8 rib is a larger 7.65. The larger crank pulley means you don't have to use as small of a pulley on the head unit to make the same amount of boost as the smaller 6.0 crank pulley. Larger pulleys give the system better belt wrap. (ex. o-O)
The P-1SC-1 standard F Body system comes with 3.5" thick intercoolers, the D-1SC 1GJ204-SCI kit automatically comes with thicker 4.5" intercoolers. The thicker intercoolers do a better job at cooling the compressed air.
The P-1SC-1 system comes with a crank pulley that bolts to the outside of the oem harmonic balancer, it comes with a larger harmonic balancer bolt, and has three prongs that fit into slots on the factory balancer. The 1GJ204-SCI D-1SC kit comes with a crank pulley that is meant to be used with an aftermarket harmonic balancer made by a company called ATI Performance Products, pn# 918853. The ProCharger 8 rib crank pulley bolts to this harmonic balancer with a standard length balancer bolt, plus the pulley bolts to the balancer with three additional bolts. The addition of these extra three bolts is superior to the three prongs that are used on the six rib crank pulley, as the prongs can bend and break if the crank bolt ever loosens up. The only downside that I see to the D-1SC kit is that ProCharger does not supply it with a tune, so you have to either get your own mail order tune, or have the car dyno tuned. I highly recommend a dyno tune if the car has anything more than headers and exhaust done to it, such as an aftermarket cam, better flowing heads, etc.
The D-1SC kit is called the "tuner" kit, and does not come with the required larger fuel injectors, the required fuel pump, the required pn# 918853 balancer, and the tune. I offer a kit that includes all of these items except for the tune. Frost on here is a sponsor that offers excellent mail order tunes that can supply you with a tune.
Here is a link to the 1GJ204-SCI kit that I have added the additional required items to. http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-1GJ20...-Speed-Kit.htm

Your car will make more power with headers and an aftermarket exhaust system, I recommend adding them at the same time that you install the supercharger. With headers and exhaust these cars will generally produce an extra 140 rwhp with 8 psi of boost. 8 psi of boost with a good tune is generally very reliable, and the additional 140 rwhp makes for a huge difference in power. Most people going with the D-1SC will go with 8 psi instead of the 7 psi the P-1SC-1 system comes with.

The LS6 intake is good for an additional 10 to 15 rwhp over the LS1 intake, and I feel that it is a very worthwhile investment. With 8 psi, headers and exhaust and the LS6 intake, your car should be in the 475-500 rwhp range.

Those LS6 243 heads you have will give you some more power too, you would have to convert to centerbolt valve covers and get the centerbolt coil brackets. Installing these heads will require new head gaskets, the current standard GM MLS head gaskets are superior to the head gaskets you will have on your '98 engine. I'd add ARP head studs http://shop.brutespeed.com/ARP-234-4...P-234-4316.htm instead of getting new head bolts. I'd also replace your stock pushrods while you are at it, as the oem pushrods are prone to bending. The Comp 7.40 pushrods at this link are much better. http://shop.brutespeed.com/Pushrods_c330.htm

A camshaft such as the LS6 cam will give you a little more power over your '98 cam, I'd also replace your timing chain assembly while you're in there, as the old one is bound to be stretched. If you want to have a nice lumpy sound and add a lot more power than the LS6 cam will provide, our blower cam would work out very well for you. Here is a link to it. http://shop.brutespeed.com/Comp-Brut...n-Camshaft.htm You'll need to replace the valvesprings, the Patriot valvespring kit that I offer as an option at the cam link work very well. It isn't uncommon for our cam to add an additional 60 rwhp.

A Z06 MAF would help out a little, I recommend staying away from aftermarket MAF's. A ported throttle body will also give you a slight gain too.

I'd add subframe connectors too, they should be one of the first mods done to these cars to keep the chassis from flexing. Here is a link to the subframe connectores that I recommend. http://shop.brutespeed.com/BMR-SFC00...BMR-SFC001.htm

I am heading out of town for the weekend for a much needed mini vacation, in case anyone tries to get in touch with me. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Last edited by Bob@BruteSpeed; 05-27-2011 at 04:55 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Well there ya go, Bob is the man with the plan. Listen to him!
Old 05-27-2011, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

x2 Bob is the man. I bought my kit from him he will take VERY good care of you throught the process. I have a 01' WS6 M6 so I already had the ls6 intake, used the GT2-3 cam as instructed by Bob, D1SC at 7.5psi, stock 241 heads, pacesetter LT's with cutout. Put down 562rwhp corrected through a heavy 3" chromemoly steel d/s and 9" rear w/4.11's. Only problem I hit with mine is the single 255lph pump with hotwire kit won't keep up so I bought the dual in tank from Lonnie and havent had time to install it yet. BTW Bob's prices blow everyone else away, no need to shop around if you are looking to get a complete kit.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Thanks a lot Bob, I'll probably be ready to buy next week and I'll give you a call. Thats really helpful information.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely get a good exhaust. I picked up 70rwhp just by opening my cutout on the dyno. I should have gotten a bigger primary header for my 370 because I think the 1 3/4 are too damn small.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I highly recommend you get the D1SC upgrade if purchasing new. It will make life much easier for you. I have my P1SC-1 nearly maxed out and am only getting 6psi @ 6000.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Teching In

I asked Bob the same question only 2 weeks ago as I'm doing the same to my 98 SS auto. I'm going with the exact kit that Bob recommends, with Kooks 1 7/8 headers and catted Y. With his expertise I don't think you can go wrong. Looking for a LS6 intake, they seem to get snapped up quick on here. Maybe its the time delay between the sellers over there and here in the UK? Now going hunting for a ZO6 maf, timing chain and possibly an LS6 cam, after reading Bobs reply. Good luck in knocking on the 500rwhp door, fingers crossed I wont be far behind you.

The dyno tune will be a problem as I doubt we have too much experience over here, so will more than likely go with a Frost postal tune, which I doubt will be too far off the mark with their experience.

Last edited by Quinncamaro; 05-30-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: Procharging 98 LS1 Z28 6spd