Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

N/A guy looking for cheap solution to release excess exhaust backpressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Weld a 60mm wastegate in right after the merge. Then mess around with the springs until you get it to open when you want. You can pickup a cheap Chinese WG from Ebay for under $150.
Or he can just use a cutout like all the N/A guys do. If he puts a wastegate on his N/A car, everyone will laugh at him. Stop enabling him lol
Old 05-31-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
you know, the guy i quoted above does make a great point. I mean, personally i think you could work for ANY european car maker, not just volvo... but thats besides the point.

you DO have everything overcomplicated.

first off.. why not fix the actual problems... such as your plugged exhaust?

theres ZERO reason to have exhaust backpressure.. nevermind backpressure so high that you're blowing the y pipe off the headers.

you can make the car dead silent without choking it like that.
I choose Volvo because I feel like they are the worst at it.

In all seriousness though.....take those damn restrictors out.

Save yourself from spending money at all and just run the flowmaster merge into the stock cat back. Its still going to be quiet.

Another thing is your autocrossing the car right? That little cutout controller will be working its *** off to try to keep up with you. Your best bet would be what you have, plus a cutout, minus the restrictors.

You can open the cutout for your autocrossing and close it for all around ton driving.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

Don't vette's have some sort of actuator to open up baffles or something in/near the mufflers when they step down on it? I drive an F-Body, I don't know about all that ****.

Yes sometimes people over complicate things. But what does it hurt to think outside of the box and try something.

I guarantee if he figures out something cool the people that were hating on him will be swinging on his nuts.

I have never heard of a wastegate on a N/A car. I don't know very much about F/I so how it would work is over my head.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:41 AM
TECH Resident

Nuts? .......no. I swing from trees home boy.

No point in thinking outside the box on this one. Thinking outside the box equals spend outside your pocket.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

F tree's I climb buoys MF! (Love that song)

I do find it funny though that I made the nut swinging comment and you pipped up.

I agree with you that there is a better way to tackle this problem. It just seems common here as of late on tech someone asks a questions that's out of the main stream and the OP gets bashed. Sometimes its deserved and sometimes its not. This OP has been cool considering all the BS that's been thrown.

I kept the SLP dual/dual muff on my car because I wanted it quiet and put a 4 inch e-cutout on it basically going for the same thing as the OP.

OP, how quiet are you wanting your car to be? I wouldn't think that WS6 catback would be that loud. Remember you do drive a V8 car.

I'm on a boat.....
Old 06-01-2011, 02:31 AM
TECH Resident

I'm on a dolphin doing flips and ****!

I'm not trying to bash him. I'm trying to help him by staying on a path that will keep him satisfied while letting him keep the cheapest. It just seems like with all his ideas that one is more complicated than the other. I guess in this situation that I have the mentality of go with what's proven and works instead of being different and more complicated.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about getting an electric cutout assembly, ditching the motor, and having engine vacuum pull the cutout closed (by hooking a $20 pneumatic cylinder to it)?
Old 06-01-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

or just remove the inserts. the stock cat back may kill 30-40whp on the street, but who cares? it much simpler than wiring in this electric cutout, wot, A/C switch business. keeping the stock cat back in blace will keep the car quiet on the street, even at WOT, since thats what you seem most worried about...
Old 06-01-2011, 11:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have all kinds of piping under my car and it is looooow, if I can fit 3.5" exhaust under my car and 3" all the way out the back then you should be able to fit a short bullet style muffler in the i-pipe and use your stock cat back. Get rid of the baffles because that estimated power your making is going to be cut by about 50hp with the set-up you have. now with the cut out open yes that's realistic.

I have a short bullet muffler in my i pipe and im using a dynomax magnum race muffler. Everyone besides actual gearheads think my car is stock with exhaust until I get on it or rev it up.

Quick Reply: N/A guy looking for cheap solution to release excess exhaust backpressure