Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

S91 Turbo Problems Again. Or I'm Wrong? I don't Even Know Anymore.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 11:56 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by corpserodeo666
I had my s91 (brand new) turbo sent out to Forced Inductions for them to fix the compressor housing because it was bent and the blades were scrapping the compressor housing. They told me it was a manufacturer defect and they were going to take care of it for me.
Originally Posted by DrTurbo
1st and foremost this turbo is over 3 years old.....not new, and no longer made with that cover. 2nd someone hit the comp cover hard enough to knock it out of round, whether it was previous owner or which ever, that is the reason why the wheel was touching the cover........also my guys modded your cover without a single charge to you even though it had been damaged and you did not tell us that, nor did we even bring it up. If your going to post something....make sure you post all the details though.

Big difference between "brand new" and "unused 3 year old".

I know DrTurbo said they fixed it, and did not tell you, but they really should have so as to put all the cards on the table. Like, hey, it looks like someone dropped the turbo, but we're going to fix it this time, but that's it, next time it's on you.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1st and foremost this turbo is over 3 years old.....not new, and no longer made with that cover. 2nd someone hit the comp cover hard enough to knock it out of round, whether it was previous owner or which ever, that is the reason why the wheel was touching the cover........also my guys modded your cover without a single charge to you even though it had been damaged and you did not tell us that, nor did we even bring it up. If your going to post something....make sure you post all the details though.
Really? The turbo was brand new. It might have been 3 years old but it was never fired. I have been working on this build for just over 2 years. And I told you that over the phone that the cover might have been dropped and I was not sure. And you told me that it was not the case and it was a manufacturer defect. And since your guys did the work on it, and fixed the manufacturer defect with no charge, yeah guess I should pay for a defect that might have came from the factory, right? Regardless of the fact I was not blaming you guys for anything. All I said was I didn't know what to expect and I was not happy with the time it took. THATS IT. The turbo seems fine to me now, we will see what happens when I start turning the turbo over with the motor.

As far as not getting the facts straight, yeah that might have been right with the 1st case, but all I wanted was just a few opinions on what to do with the turbo that's it. By all means I was not trying to "bash" anyone one here. Especially a sponsor. I just wanted some outside opinions and suggestions. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corpserodeo666
Really? The turbo was brand new. It might have been 3 years old but it was never fired. I have been working on this build for just over 2 years. And I told you that over the phone that the cover might have been dropped and I was not sure. And you told me that it was not the case and it was a manufacturer defect. And since your guys did the work on it, and fixed the manufacturer defect with no charge, yeah guess I should pay for a defect that might have came from the factory, right? Regardless of the fact I was not blaming you guys for anything. All I said was I didn't know what to expect and I was not happy with the time it took. THATS IT. The turbo seems fine to me now, we will see what happens when I start turning the turbo over with the motor.

As far as not getting the facts straight, yeah that might have been right with the 1st case, but all I wanted was just a few opinions on what to do with the turbo that's it. By all means I was not trying to "bash" anyone one here. Especially a sponsor. I just wanted some outside opinions and suggestions. Thanks.

I'm not really here to argue, but the compressor cover is egg shaped. Not a manufacture defect, that is the sign of being dropped or hit on one side hard. Now if the flange was improperly machined then I could say its the manufacture. I probably mentioned that indeed as we did have covers like that years ago with some problems, but the case you have was not that. Its simply the bore is not squared with the back plate and wheel due to the cover being hit hard. So its closer to one side of the bore/wheel then the other. No hard feelings as far as business is concerned, but brand new and 3 years old brand new are not the same thing, plus making it sound like a machining error on our part on the original post, while failing to mention the cover may have been damaged was simply the reason why we responded. We will try to help you out though as much as we can. Also, as for the time line, you have to remember, that particular turbo is not in production in that form any more with that cover. So its hard to shut a machine down off production to manually run one cover. So we try out best to fit you in on the schedule.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not really here to argue, but the compressor cover is egg shaped. Not a manufacture defect, that is the sign of being dropped or hit on one side hard. Now if the flange was improperly machined then I could say its the manufacture. I probably mentioned that indeed as we did have covers like that years ago with some problems, but the case you have was not that. Its simply the bore is not squared with the back plate and wheel due to the cover being hit hard. So its closer to one side of the bore/wheel then the other. No hard feelings as far as business is concerned, but brand new and 3 years old brand new are not the same thing, plus making it sound like a machining error on our part on the original post, while failing to mention the cover may have been damaged was simply the reason why we responded. We will try to help you out though as much as we can. Also, as for the time line, you have to remember, that particular turbo is not in production in that form any more with that cover. So its hard to shut a machine down off production to manually run one cover. So we try out best to fit you in on the schedule.
I understand. I am not trying to argue either. I just went on here to get a few answers and that's pretty much it. I know I might have left out a few details in the 1st post, but I was told it was a manufacturer defect by you guys and sent it out. So we will see how this turbo works very soon. If it is going to be giving me more issues. I will have to look elsewhere for repairs, or maybe a different unit. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gotta get in on this. I have some statements that actually are facts. I have been involved in this build from the word go. I had every plan to fabricate the kit for him and help him with the car but my shop is now in Nevada. I can't ask a customer to send his vehicle across the country to do his build. I have however been back several times in the last 3 years during the build and checked in on it periodically every time I have been back. I saw the compressor when it came out from FI brand new in the box. Regardless if it was 3 years ago it matters not if the turbo was never ever fired. I never physically spun the turbine when it was sitting in the packing. I looked at it said looks good Jose will do right by you. I have said nothing but good things since I have several other friends at other shops that have purchased turbo's from Forced inductions. I have 3 customers right now one of which is a sema car and the other is another very expensive build we are quickly approaching the turbo selection process and this has drastically changed my mind as to using Forced inductions. For all intensive purposes I have heard good things in the past. However being that I know what's going on from the word go on this project I am not impressed. I was the one who told the owner of this turbo to call you right away when they found the issue when it came time to install the turbo. If the compressor took the kind of hit you are saying to cause the housing to loose round then it would infact have left a serious mark on the compressor cover.

The biggest issue here is. This is a turbo that was purchased from your company it has an issue. He sent it in to get repaired it took longer than anticipated. He said you know what.. I got the turbo back. It still has a potential issue. Instead of going on and on about how the turbo is not brand spanking new and you changed your tooling just make sure the compressor is right.

The biggest issue you are attacking on is it's not new. If I buy a procharger and leave it sealed in the box for three years and take it out of the package to install it on my build and find out it has an issue with the machine work or casting. You bet your *** procharger is going to take care of me. Infact I have actually had that happen I got a kit for a customer it sat for 2 years only to find out that a bracket did not fit right and it was a machining error. 72 hours later he had a corrected part in hand no issue.

I know if I had a customer bring a car back to me twice that I built and he was concerned something was not right that second time around is still two times too many. I don't sit there and tell people well... I built the car 3 years ago so it's not really my work any more I changed which side of the bed I woke up on.

The reason I am even chiming in here is without doing actual business personally with forced inductions I have been not only a big supporter of yours but sent at least 5 customers your way I have builds sitting at the go ready to select turbos. I now have changed my mind completely. From a business standpoint I don't think it's professional how this is being dealt with. This never should have come to the forums this should have been dealt with in a timely manner customer to businessman. PERIOD.

And before anyone bangs about me not being sponsor or anything to that regard my business is full restoration and custom builds I don't have anything that I could really offer to the forum on that end.

I really hope for both parties involved this gets handled right now before more people get in and have their two cents. There are two sides to every story you just have to make sure you read both sides of the page.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, you can't argue when it's been three years and the turbo "might" have been dropped. What do you expect them to do? They took it back and fixed it. If you just got it back and the wheel was hitting the compressor still, it should have never been sent back to you. Fix it once, fix it right.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Revolutionary
I gotta get in on this. I have some statements that actually are facts. I have been involved in this build from the word go. I had every plan to fabricate the kit for him and help him with the car but my shop is now in Nevada. I can't ask a customer to send his vehicle across the country to do his build. I have however been back several times in the last 3 years during the build and checked in on it periodically every time I have been back. I saw the compressor when it came out from FI brand new in the box. Regardless if it was 3 years ago it matters not if the turbo was never ever fired. I never physically spun the turbine when it was sitting in the packing. I looked at it said looks good Jose will do right by you. I have said nothing but good things since I have several other friends at other shops that have purchased turbo's from Forced inductions. I have 3 customers right now one of which is a sema car and the other is another very expensive build we are quickly approaching the turbo selection process and this has drastically changed my mind as to using Forced inductions. For all intensive purposes I have heard good things in the past. However being that I know what's going on from the word go on this project I am not impressed. I was the one who told the owner of this turbo to call you right away when they found the issue when it came time to install the turbo. If the compressor took the kind of hit you are saying to cause the housing to loose round then it would infact have left a serious mark on the compressor cover.

The biggest issue here is. This is a turbo that was purchased from your company it has an issue. He sent it in to get repaired it took longer than anticipated. He said you know what.. I got the turbo back. It still has a potential issue. Instead of going on and on about how the turbo is not brand spanking new and you changed your tooling just make sure the compressor is right.

The biggest issue you are attacking on is it's not new. If I buy a procharger and leave it sealed in the box for three years and take it out of the package to install it on my build and find out it has an issue with the machine work or casting. You bet your *** procharger is going to take care of me. Infact I have actually had that happen I got a kit for a customer it sat for 2 years only to find out that a bracket did not fit right and it was a machining error. 72 hours later he had a corrected part in hand no issue.

I know if I had a customer bring a car back to me twice that I built and he was concerned something was not right that second time around is still two times too many. I don't sit there and tell people well... I built the car 3 years ago so it's not really my work any more I changed which side of the bed I woke up on.

The reason I am even chiming in here is without doing actual business personally with forced inductions I have been not only a big supporter of yours but sent at least 5 customers your way I have builds sitting at the go ready to select turbos. I now have changed my mind completely. From a business standpoint I don't think it's professional how this is being dealt with. This never should have come to the forums this should have been dealt with in a timely manner customer to businessman. PERIOD.

And before anyone bangs about me not being sponsor or anything to that regard my business is full restoration and custom builds I don't have anything that I could really offer to the forum on that end.

I really hope for both parties involved this gets handled right now before more people get in and have their two cents. There are two sides to every story you just have to make sure you read both sides of the page.
Different situation my friend. The turbo when truely new and UNhit was fine....that's the point. If you built a car, 3 years ago, left your shop perfect, later it comes back with a dented fender....even though he never drove the car and still sitting on the trailer, but somebody hit with something on the side, you going to fix it for free?? Not likely. That's the point here, none of that was said in the original post. Now if the turbo left like that new and untouched, sure, we would fix it no questions asked.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lordy lordy the bickering, just pay to fix the cover, you dropped it, your friend dropped it your mechanic dropped it. Jose didn't drop it, therefore it's not his responsibility. Yes both sides should of mentioned this from the get go. It wasn't, get over it. Move on with your build, I'm sure you want it on the road.