Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbo ls2 in a 245" top dragster

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 12:48 AM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default turbo ls2 in a 245" top dragster

hey guys, i am starting a turbo ls2 build. so far i have a set of wiseco -11cc dish 4.005 stock stroke pistons and a set of k1 billet h-beam 6.125 rods with arp 2000 bolts. i also have a stock bore aluminum ls2 block (have not been to the machine shop yet), dm performance block girdle, arp main and head studs, stock ls6 intake, non egr truck manifolds, 317 heads, 17122490 lifters, bullet turbo cam, and more. all parts new. not married to the cam or heads.
i am getting sponserhip from a local turbo dealer. i will be getting two airwerks s400 turbos (sx3 or sx4) my goal is to make 1200hp at the crank on e85 or e98.the car will only way about 1650lbs with me in it.
my questions are,
1. can i fill the block to the top so there is only water in the heads? ( with a crossover in the rear and custom remote waterpump)
2. can i use a stock ecm to acomplish this?
3. cam specs 221/220 @.050 115lsa .585/.569 to small for hp goal?
4. what injectors to use?
5. will stock lifters work?
6. should i get a k1 crank or try it with the stocker?
Old 07-07-2011, 06:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by elkydragger
1. can i fill the block to the top so there is only water in the heads? ( with a crossover in the rear and custom remote waterpump)
anything's possible...but even on my extreme setup, we still have a little water in the block. we run water into block and out the ends of the heads

probably, but since you are obviously building a track-only car, you'd be better off with an aftermarket ecu to properly control injectors and get things like multiple two steps, timing control on the transbrake, etc

too small IMHO

to keep up with the volume requirements of E85/98, you probably need to get a 220+ injector, which I believe is only offered in low impedance

you're definately going to be pushing past the realm of reliability if using a stock crank....
Old 07-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Launching!

what about an msd 6-ls2 box and blow thru carb set up? will it retart timing fast enough for that much boost? also is the k1 crank a good option? the cam was part of a parts package i bought a few weeks ago. i was thinking it was on the small side as well, so i will be selling it and getting a new one. any cam recomendations? the 317 heads were with the stuff i bought as well, i was not planing on running them, unless you think i can. i was thinking that the cc was a little big for my pistons. what do you think i should shoot for cr wise 9.5-1? this is a budget build, i know i am asking alot lol thanks for your reply fireball.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

turbo ls2 in 245 top dragster.........budget build..........

Compared to the typical 572 or lagrer tall deck nitrous bbc that run in a car like that, this should be easy. A budget build is what, 30k.....
Old 07-07-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

what about an msd 6-ls2 box and blow thru carb set up? will it retart timing fast enough for that much boost? also is the k1 crank a good option? the cam was part of a parts package i bought a few weeks ago. i was thinking it was on the small side as well, so i will be selling it and getting a new one. any cam recomendations? the 317 heads were with the stuff i bought as well, i was not planing on running them, unless you think i can. i was thinking that the cc was a little big for my pistons. what do you think i should shoot for cr wise 9.5-1? this is a budget build, i know i am asking alot lol thanks for your reply fireball.
I'm with 1320 on this...its hard to put top dragster and budget in the same sentence.

on a full race setup, 9.5 is ok, but not ideal. I'd definately go aftermarket heads and solid roller at a minimum...that thats just me
Old 07-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Launching!

i know budget is the wrong word, but i do not want to spend anymore than i have to. i will be mainly bracket racing, but would like to be able to run top dragster too. mid 7's win alot of events where ther was a 5.9x #1 qualifier. just becuase a guy speds 75k on a nitrous huffin big block, doesent mean that i have too. i was building a 540 with a d3r for this car, but i sold everything and desided to be different. 365" ls is different for sure. i do alot of ls swaps in hod rods at my shop. my personal car is a 65 el camino with a cnc l92 headed lq4 carbed with nothing but an alternator, backed by a manual t400. that thin hauls! it gets me alot of jobs, so i figured having my dragster powered by an ls would go a long way for my shop.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:10 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hey guys, i am starting a turbo ls2 build. so far i have a set of wiseco -11cc dish 4.005 stock stroke pistons and a set of k1 billet h-beam 6.125 rods with arp 2000 bolts. i also have a stock bore aluminum ls2 block (have not been to the machine shop yet), dm performance block girdle, arp main and head studs, stock ls6 intake, non egr truck manifolds, 317 heads, 17122490 lifters, bullet turbo cam, and more. all parts new. not married to the cam or heads.
i am getting sponserhip from a local turbo dealer. i will be getting two airwerks s400 turbos (sx3 or sx4) my goal is to make 1200hp at the crank on e85 or e98.the car will only way about 1650lbs with me in it.
my questions are,
1) is possible with the right heads
2) yes, BS3 is a better choice
3) cam would work but it really depends on a bunch of factors
Old 07-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Why twins for only 1200hp? I'd go with a single gt55 over those.

Budget+top dragster makes me laugh!
Old 07-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Launching!

i wanted to limit bore to .005 over for best stength. i figured filling the block all the way would support the upper part of the cylinder walls. will the truck manifolds work for twins? they are slightly different in size, and have different diameter outlets. would you recomend a solid roller? what would be a better cam? if staying hydraulic, will the 17122490 lifters work? looking to keep it under 7200rpm and running a 1.80 powerglide. 3.90 rearend with 33.5 tires. i may regear later but i am wanting to get this thing going by the end of the summer. anythoughts on the k1crank? or the 6ls2 and blowthru.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Launching!

not opposed to doing a single. i was just offered two for sponsership. i really dont need 1200hp at this point. would be fine with 800hp as long as the bottom end is built right, i can always boost up later.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just so you know Fireball went 7.99 @ 177 mph with an LS2 block in a 3400lb f-body.
You need something like virgina speeds vt3 turbo cam http://shop.virginiaspeed.com/produc...&categoryId=33

Truck manifolds are fine, people have made over 2000 hp with them, about 200 mph in a fbody. You really should run a thick deck head, look into the trickflow 220 as cast heads if your budget is real tight ($1800). They will support the power you want and can be ported anytime for future upgrades.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Launching!

am i wrong to think that pushing a 1650lbs car is much easier on the crank than pushing a 3400lbs car at the same hp? also agree with the thick deck heads, but i have read a bunch of threads with high hp on stock castings. i would think that a light car, girdled, studded, filled block should be alot easier on parts than a heavier car with the same. everyone gives me crap becuase i said budget, but the dragster is built and paid for, and i just want to go as fast as i can as cheap as possible. it doesn't take much to go fast in a dragster. does anyone know of somone who has put a ls in a dragster? i have only found three, and the were all basically stock ls1 engines in the high 8s and low 9s. my car is also a swingarm car so 60' is quick.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Of course a lighter car is easier on parts. If you are going with aftermarket crank, billet rods, girdled, studded and filled block that is pretty serious setup. Why limit yourself with the stock castings? If you want to run a stock casting skip all the other stuff, you dont need to fill the block, use the stock crank. Run the LS9 head gaskets with arp stud. To me that is budget, but filling the block and using all the other stuff with stock heads doesn't make sense.

Hell if you only want 800 hp there are guys doing that at the wheels with stock bottom end iron 6.0 LQ4's.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Launching!

i just meant that i would rather put my money in the shortblock now, and limit the other stuff till later. once the short block is done its done. i can change heads alot easier than i can swap cranks. 800hp is fine for now, but 1200hp is the long term goal.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

am i wrong to think that pushing a 1650lbs car is much easier on the crank than pushing a 3400lbs car at the same hp? also agree with the thick deck heads, but i have read a bunch of threads with high hp on stock castings. i would think that a light car, girdled, studded, filled block should be alot easier on parts than a heavier car with the same. everyone gives me crap becuase i said budget, but the dragster is built and paid for, and i just want to go as fast as i can as cheap as possible. it doesn't take much to go fast in a dragster. does anyone know of somone who has put a ls in a dragster? i have only found three, and the were all basically stock ls1 engines in the high 8s and low 9s. my car is also a swingarm car so 60' is quick.
limit the stock castings to ~1000 hp and you'll be fine. i think you've got the right idea here, though the best bet is to go EFI. as i say all the time, if the engine didnt come EFI from the factory, BT Make sense budget wise. this engine didnt. LOL.

the stock PCM will support ~1000hp as well, and you can find high Z 160lb injectors, which wont have a problem supporting your power on e85. in the end you'll be glad you went EFI. one thing to consider is the stock pcm+harness+tuning software is going to be roughly 700-1000 bucks, vs 2-3 for bs3, xfi, or holley. you may want to do it right the first time. your call...
Old 07-08-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my questions are,

first of all, i like the thinking outside the box ideas
i run ttsbc in an altered..
as said above, get some water in the top of the block and heads. fill the block to within 1inch of the top.
i would put o ring deal head gasket, and seal the water ports to stop leaks
cam is too small
with the very light car, the converters as slightly different , in how they react
what trans? did i miss that?

ash
Old 07-08-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

i know budget is the wrong word, but i do not want to spend anymore than i have to. i will be mainly bracket racing, but would like to be able to run top dragster too. mid 7's win alot of events where ther was a 5.9x #1 qualifier. just becuase a guy speds 75k on a nitrous huffin big block, doesent mean that i have too. i was building a 540 with a d3r for this car, but i sold everything and desided to be different. 365" ls is different for sure. i do alot of ls swaps in hod rods at my shop. my personal car is a 65 el camino with a cnc l92 headed lq4 carbed with nothing but an alternator, backed by a manual t400. that thin hauls! it gets me alot of jobs, so i figured having my dragster powered by an ls would go a long way for my shop.
we went 7.1 @ 194 with 1000hp flywheel
flat tappet cam, 6500 rpm max, 1920 lbs, 355 ttsbc
what you want to do is very achievable
Old 07-08-2011, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

everyone gives me crap becuase i said budget, but the dragster is built and paid for, and i just want to go as fast as i can as cheap as possible. it doesn't take much to go fast in a dragster. does anyone know of somone who has put a ls in a dragster? i have only found three, and the were all basically stock ls1 engines in the high 8s and low 9s. my car is also a swingarm car so 60' is quick.
dont listern to the nah sayers... just do it..
also, the 60 ft is NOT as important to the turbo 'open' cars. the turbos cars haul *** from 60ft on wards when set up correctly.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

i will be getting two airwerks s400 turbos (sx3 or sx4) my goal is to make 1200hp at the crank on e85 or e98.the car will only way about 1650lbs with me in it.
my questions are,
?

can you use methanol , to get rid of the water all together ??
i had head gasket issues , but now doing the o ring method differently.
you dont want water under ur tyres in the dragster.....
Attached Thumbnails turbo ls2 in a 245" top dragster-8e7w4346.jpg  
Old 07-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

I personally don't have any experience with them but You may consider looking into a set of LSA heads (~$900 for a pair assembled). They're touted as a thicker deck set of L92's. Hopefully an expert will chime in with data about how they compare to a set of aftrmrkt thick deck heads.

Regards,

Kurt

Quick Reply: turbo ls2 in a 245" top dragster