Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Question re: PCV system and forced induction

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Question re: PCV system and forced induction

I am slowly learning a little more about the PCV system, but i am coming across a lot of contradictory information.

My car is a 1998 Camaro with an STS Rear Mount GT67 (AR .96), i am running a 6 spd manual with 3.90 gears...and it's intercooled. I blew up the stock LS1 and I have now transplanted in an LS2 in it's place. My questions are these:

1. how is the LS1 vs LS2 PCV system different?
2. should i be running a breather system somehow, if so how and where to install?
3. if a Catch Can is installed on the passenger side valve cover, how is the (a) pressure (boost, crankcase pressure) inside the engine and (b) the misted oil being equalized properly?

From what i've read, most people are NOT connecting up the driver and passenger side valve covers with a PCV system and tuning.

What catch cans are recommended so that guys like us can eliminate the STS PCV system?

Are there any known problems with any of the Catch Cans you guys have run?

And what does a one way or check valve do on the dirty side of a PCV Catch Can system? Is this to prevent boost from the intake going into the dirty side of the Catch Can?

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. I just had one PM prior to this which was helpful in getting me started on this topic...thanks.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to drain the catch can every so often. Allows air threw to breath but not oil. Catch cans fills slowly then you drain it. You do need a vaccum on the one end. From the intake pre turbo. I have a line running form before the filter back up front to the catch can.Hope this helps. The factory sts kit i had used a valve so under full throttle it closed and didnt allow any pcv. Thats why i always had my dip stick blown out.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put in an LS2 short block from TSP and the instructions said to make sure both valve covers were vented to allow the rings to seat, but this was for a brand new short block.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

3.90 gears with an M6..? are you even seeing any boost before shifting? i was told 3.42's were best for a manual but i DD my car. don't know if you are just racing it
Old 07-15-2011, 12:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hawk584, i knew that would come up at some point. My initial build with my car was intended to be a N/A setup. The 3.90 gears aren't optimal. I will be changing those at some point down the road.

My goal is to get my car put back together (interior and powertrain), get it started, running and tuned the way it sits. Then i'm going to dyno the car, track it, and see how it does. The way life is going, i'm hoping to have this done by sometime in 2012 (as our seasons only permit 5 months or so of decent working/driving time anyways).

Once i have all of this done, then i want to sort out a different gearing for the rear end, and retune, and redyno and post results.

Quick Reply: Question re: PCV system and forced induction