Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Baby steps on twin turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 01:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baby steps on twin turbo build

I have 8-10 grand saved it was for a new twin kit but realizing that with the kit a new clutch, rear-end etc would need to be purchased for another 5g's going to try and build the car for the twin turbo system and still see results with a naturally aspirated engine. I was wondering what bolt on heads, cam, intake would be suitable for stock n/a car yet still hold up under a twin setup down the road.

so lets here it heads, cam, intake for n/a and twin turbo build down the road.

Need to get some money into the car before summer ends and it gets spent elsewhere.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:21 AM
Staging Lane

the car is a 2000 trans am stock ls1 25,000 miles pacesetter lt's, no cats, slp 2, k/n intake
Old 07-26-2011, 04:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Trickflow 220cc "as cast" heads. LS6 intake. Cam in the 220s-230s duration with not much overlap will be fine. All can be had from the classifeds section on here with searching.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:08 AM
Staging Lane

I'm thinking of going the fast 102 intake with big mouth throttle body, and then I like the idea of trick flow 220 as cast heads but what kind of power am i going to see over my stock heads, and will they hold up under boost from my new system down the road? And now down to the cam how in the hell do I pick a cam some people say torqure v2 or tick polluter but what cam is going to be good on a daily driver and still make great power?help
Old 07-29-2011, 03:10 AM
Staging Lane

what about porting? would that help or be a possibility?
Old 07-29-2011, 04:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The main reason I will be getting an aftermarket type head is because they have a thicker deck and for the amount of boost I am wanting to run they will have a lot less of a chance at lifting and pushing water. Just FYI the TFS 220cc as cast heads require aftermarket rockers such as Yella Terra's. Stock rockers can work but you need a shim kit and someone experienced with setting them up with the proper geometry.

You can do the 102/102 but why not the LS6? They have been proven to take up to 20lbs without problems. You can get them for way cheaper than a 102/102 setup. You can get a ported/polished/powdercoated stock 78mm throttle body for like $100 from a sponsor on here too now.

As for the cam read what I posted above. A cam with not much overlap is your best bet. What this means is the exhaust pulses reaching the turbine will be more constant resulting in better performance and better driveability. Something like Speed Inc's TU1 cam would be good.

You can port a stock LS6 intake and heads yes. It would help yes.

I think your best bet is to sit down and read through all the approapriate stickys and educate yourself. It seems as though your just throwing out ideas and saying what you want without any real research into any of it, IMO.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bouttime
I have 8-10 grand saved it was for a new twin kit but realizing that with the kit a new clutch, rear-end etc would need to be purchased for another 5g's going to try and build the car for the twin turbo system and still see results with a naturally aspirated engine. I was wondering what bolt on heads, cam, intake would be suitable for stock n/a car yet still hold up under a twin setup down the road.

so lets here it heads, cam, intake for n/a and twin turbo build down the road.

Need to get some money into the car before summer ends and it gets spent elsewhere.
Just dont chase the name brands,when deciding on parts.
GOLDEN KEY TO BUILDING A CAR:
*lots of research
*think wisely
*think about goals for car street/strip or both

Quick Reply: Baby steps on twin turbo build