Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Work In Progress: '98 F-Body TVS2300

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got it running and was able to trim the bottom rear of the hood to get it to shut!

Have not driven it yet - Waiting on my friend to come by and dial in the tune. Idles good. Seem to have more audible lifter rattle now for some reason. I have some different valve covers that have aluminum tube supports that lock the covers to the heads. Also the aluminum intake under the Maggie. Not sure if noise just resonating more than before.

I have a video I shot today and will try to post it up soon. Getting closer!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is a link to the video. I need to clean up the hole I cut in the hood.

http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d5...814_184928.mp4
Old 08-15-2011, 09:08 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Deeavi
Here is a link to the video. I need to clean up the hole I cut in the hood.

http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d5...814_184928.mp4
I thought my motor made a lot of noise. Sounds like you have a bad lifter or pushrod tick going on. Badass none the less.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I thought my motor made a lot of noise. Sounds like you have a bad lifter or pushrod tick going on. Badass none the less.

Yes, I don't like the sound of it either! I am going to have to pull the blower off and check the lifters. All looked good when I put them back in with the new cam.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 01:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

whats the purpose of cutting the cowl like that? why not just cut it the width of the blower? Seems overkill but setup looks nice well done. Maybe make a parts list and needed fab work so someone can duplicate?
Old 08-16-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by djfury05
whats the purpose of cutting the cowl like that? why not just cut it the width of the blower? Seems overkill but setup looks nice well done. Maybe make a parts list and needed fab work so someone can duplicate?
I cut much of it out because I kept getting my arms cut up. I would look down and there would be blood dripping from my arms onto the car. Blood, Sweat, Tears, and $$$.

I left part of the cowl to be able to fasten the cowl cover back on when finished. We will see how it looks when I am done.

Right now I am going back in to check and/ or change out the lifters. I believe one of the LSX lifter retainers may be cracked, but not sure. Hope nothing else is damaged.

Last edited by Deeavi; 08-16-2011 at 08:26 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-21-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update of the rattling noise. Found the back of the 2 end Jesel J2K rockers on both sides of the engine hitting/rubbing on the intake side of the GMP valve covers. I can see the valve covers moving when the engine is idling. Pulled the covers and I will have to grind clearance for those areas. Boy there is always something, but hopefully this will not be too bad.

Later!
Old 08-21-2011, 09:04 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Update of the rattling noise. Found the back of the 2 end Jesel J2K rockers on both sides of the engine hitting/rubbing on the intake side of the GMP valve covers. I can see the valve covers moving when the engine is idling. Pulled the covers and I will have to grind clearance for those areas. Boy there is always something, but hopefully this will not be too bad.

Later!
Glad you found out the issue.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

old thread, but any updates?
Old 03-19-2012, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah I'd like to see some updates as well.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbridwelltransam
yeah I'd like to see some updates as well.
Been working on it all winter. I only get to work on it on the weekends, and it just took me awhile to get the ERL based motor together.

Got it running, and it runs and sounds great. I only have 50 miles on it now. Everything is good, except one problem, that I hope to get resolved this weekend. I went with Yella Terra adjustable rockers and am having valve cover sealing problems. It has been fighting me for awhile. I don't want to spend $500 on a set of valve covers. I hope to have it fixed this weekend. I will post some updates soon as I get that taken care of.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Been working on it all winter. I only get to work on it on the weekends, and it just took me awhile to get the ERL based motor together.

Got it running, and it runs and sounds great. I only have 50 miles on it now. Everything is good, except one problem, that I hope to get resolved this weekend. I went with Yella Terra adjustable rockers and am having valve cover sealing problems. It has been fighting me for awhile. I don't want to spend $500 on a set of valve covers. I hope to have it fixed this weekend. I will post some updates soon as I get that taken care of.
Everything is fixed. Had to go with new valve covers, and still have to do some tweeking to the tune. Can drive it, but it has some minor issues. The new cam has more vacuum than the old one, so the transition from part throttle is off some. Need to put the 8 rib belt on, and also need to do some cosmetic work, but almost there.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:11 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice. Good luck with it.

Quick Reply: Work In Progress: '98 F-Body TVS2300