Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Cog dyno/boost results.........

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have some extra strong 5/16 SS pins that lejralie sold me. Let me know if you want some, I will send them out ASAP. Mine haven't broke.
You will be fine driving it for that short of a distance if you don't have the cog belt on and you don't get on it. Don't you have a deep impact socket for that crank bolt? That and a 1/2 ratchet will do the trick to get it snugged up.
J
Old 03-17-2004, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I can do it with a ratchet, I just need the extension for the size I'm using...

I'll go to SEARS tomorrow to get one...

Jeremy, how much for those pins?

I'll also look to see if they have any 250ftlb TQ wrenches.......

I just want to get it tight enough to be able to drive to where it needs to go....10-15 miles, I don't plaon on driving it for a while, weather has gotten bad around here, so I'm in no hurry...

I'll be going into Sikoras for some work on the setup sometime in mid april...
Old 03-18-2004, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

To the TOP!
Old 03-18-2004, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

free for you, PM me you address and I will get them out.
J
Old 03-18-2004, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

I Pmed you Jeremy.......

Thanks a lot.....

Do you think that the pins broke off inside the pulley, or did they fall out, I can't really see into it, and I don't want to take the crank bolt off.....
Old 03-18-2004, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Put it up on some ramps and shimmy under there and look behind the LS1 crank pulley to see if the pins are there or half there. If they broke off inside the crank cog, its not a problem just drive them out with a metal punch and drive the new ones in.

I got some logging done today without the cog belt on. The knock retard was pretty bad with the cog belt on from take offs and stopping. Without the belt on, the KR was non existant from stop and go take offs. I got a max of 1.8deg of KR that was because my idle was surging pretty bad when I stopped and took off. When the idle was smooth it didn't register.

FWIW
J
Old 03-18-2004, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

I looked under there earlier and couldn't see anything in the holes, I assume they probably fell out then......
Old 03-19-2004, 06:38 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by nbm00ws6
Welcome Mark, is the car running yet.
Nope! Waiting on Eagle...they had to send a new crank to Kammers and it's supposed to be in next week. It's a slow go..I'm patient but I told Todd today I was getting a little ansy! If I had the block today it would still be a few weeks before I was ready to start it. Really taking my time on this. Heard you maybe at the enemy's Saturday knocking out a bunch on yours? E-mail me and let me know for sure. If you guys are still into it Saturday evening I might stop up to see how it's going. I told Todd I would give him a call after my son's ballgame to find out if it's worth the drive up. See ya soon.

Mark
Old 03-19-2004, 06:51 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by frcefed98
LETS GET READY TO RUMMMMBLE. Had to do it...... Whats your tooth count? If its the same then welcome to the misery, if its like Clints set up, you will have a good time as the 960 belt will fit easily with some grinding on the tensioner slot.

Sounds like a killer project. So you only read 9 pages huh, There is another post of mine that went to 20+ pages of my personal hell with two sets of these things
With the ATI dampner you will be set. The crank cog won't spin like ours MIGHT under high loads due to how its held to the stock LS1 pulley.
If this thread is dead by the time you get to yours, post up I would like to know how things are going with that 408

Another area that might be a problem is with the knock sensors on our cars being so sensitive and how these cogs like to make some pretty good vibrations in the ol engine compartment. I will get some good logging done tomorrow. I will be watching how my KR is without the cog belt on. With it on I was picking up some serious KR from stopping or taking off at a light and between shifts. At WOT it wasn't as bad, though I was seeing a high of 4 deg KR which is probably due to my hypersensitive 98 knock sensors. Damn 98's

Glad to see you post up Mark, don't be a stranger....misery loves company....j/k...or am I?
J

Sorry for the delayed response..been out of town on business. Thanks for the warm welcome to your Misery. I will try not to be a stranger but I will not be on the board as much as you guys (60 hours a week and 3 kids in activities will do that).

I will post when mine starts to come together. I will have the advantage of assembling everthing onto the block outside the car. The only thing I will not be able to simulate will be the inlet hat to radiator proximity. That looks as if it could present a small problem...any suggestions? Anyway how do you plug pics into the posts?

As to the set-up it's a 72 or 73 tooth crank pulley and a 31 tooth supercharger pulley using 960 belts.

Mark
Old 03-19-2004, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

73/31 tooth count. Bos and I both have this set up. Welcome to the belt issue.
Inlet hat and radiator clearance should be fine.
J
Old 03-19-2004, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Inlet hat and radiator clearance are fine.....

I'm confident that the nightmare will get straightened out soon enough.....

I got some faith....
Old 03-21-2004, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Bos, I think I found a LS1 balancer that will fit our pins on our crank cogs

I just emailed them to see if they have an non underdriven one. I also think Speed inc. carries this brand too. Maybe you can run your crank cog over there to see if the 3 pins fit into the 3 holes that are in this balancer. It is also keyed too. This would be great if they fit, the crank cog would stay put no matter what.
Whatcha Think?
J
Old 03-21-2004, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What brand is it Jer???? About how much does it cost?
Kyle
Old 03-21-2004, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sup Kyle, saw your pics of that iron block beast sitting in your bird, it looks awesome.
It's made by Powerbond/Romac? New Era Performance has em listed for 199.99
If they made them in a non underdriven application it would be perfect that and if the crank cog pins fit into those three holes around the hub of that balancer.

I have an extra crank cog here so if anyone has access to one of these let me know and I will send it to you to see if it fits.
J
Old 03-21-2004, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds good man............. Still waiting on head studs so hopefully this coming weekend ill have it all back togeather waiting on my stock tank to get back from being sumped and my 60#ers will be here too.
The cogs are all thats left for me so hopefully it will all be figured out by the time i place my order around May 1st or so.
Kyle
Old 03-21-2004, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Jeremy look at what Tom did w/his COG setup in his post, he cleared out the space in the bracket and he is running the belt under the tensioner fine.......

This could be the answer, I asked him for specific measurements.......
Old 03-21-2004, 11:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Looks like I'll be getting the steel bracket, I just don't feel comfortable grinding up that high with this cheesy aluminum bracket.
But DAMN things are looking good now.
J
Old 03-22-2004, 12:24 AM
8 Second Club

who's tom??

on a related note, i saw a crank pulley for a whipple charger for a chevy truck, instead of pins, they have large ....fins / tabs / winglets ( you get the idea) that fit in between the posts of the stock pulley. they are so big that they fit snug between the posts.
i wish i had a camera to snap some pics. i don't know if anyone has pics of one of them or knows someone who does.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

NBM00WS6 is who I'm talking about, read up on his been busy post
Old 03-22-2004, 01:49 AM
8 Second Club

thanks , i'm really bad when it comes to names
i just read his post, now i need pics!

Quick Reply: Cog dyno/boost results.........