Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Cog dyno/boost results.........

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 12:19 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got another question about the SC setup. I see all these ppl running ATI setups, and seems like everyone stops at around 13 or so Lbs of boost, is this the max? I know the specs say it (D1SC) can go 32psi and 65,000rpm. Obviously the pulley size will effect the rpm of the impeller, but whats the math to figure it out? And is there more in the D1SC or will I be forced to go to the F-1R route or similar? BTW, does the F1 fit the same bracket as the P and D series?
Old 03-04-2004, 12:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

750rwhp and reliability why not it's all in the tune/build. Thats what I say. Nothing is impossible. I used to drive mine everyday before all this crap, no trailer here or had the need for one. It is a street car and it will stay that way. I drove it home from the track with a busted TA. But...with my quest for bigger boost numbers, reliability and maintenance are a two part joke with the ATI LS1 F-body kit.
I really think that running a turbo would be more reliable. Not at the track, turn the boost down to 6psi for cruising/light street action. Need to turn it up hit the ol boost controller and get 15psi and you are ready for anything. No belts to slip/break, no s/c sucking up valueable HP, no need to switch pulleys out or mess with cogs, and when you aren't in boost the engine is just loving not having another accessory leaching off it. IMHO

Yep, that 10bolt of yours is like mine, bullet proof. I got a T2 back in the day for it and it has held together. I even broke my BMR torque arm, but the 10 bolt lives. ET streets no prob, ET Drags No problem, Boost and N2O off the line No prob.
Cmotorsports will get the nod for the tranny if this one is really crapped out, Seth is a great guy and I trust his work.
J
I will be anti turbo once I get everything working right.....maybe
Old 03-04-2004, 12:37 AM
Restricted User

So any idea on max boost when running thru an LS1 Induction system, is it the advertised 32psi or is that in the perfect world type thing? You think you had better results with stock heads?

Charlie.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks kp, I have a dyno sheet and I logged the runs with efilive. The dyno guy did ask me if it shifted into second, but I couldn't tell I was paying attention to the boost gauge. Let me check out the graph and the log to see what happened. If you are interested in going over the log, I can email you the file.

CAT, Good question. I would guess its all in the pulley combos, but I am not sure. The first set of cogs I have would spin more boost than these easily but the cog belt was too long and the smaller belt was too short. With no belt inbetween, they are now a just a desk piece. This set I have on the car now have less teeth on each of them so boost is lower. Maybe someone else can chime in.
It could be higher with my set up, I only spun it to 6100rpm, my redline is 7100 so it could have made more boost. With stock heads I am pretty sure it would be a lil higher, but these 6.0's aren't hogged out at all just a mild port and polish.
J
Old 03-04-2004, 12:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Me and Jeremy and Tom and Kyle and Clint are the only ones I know of running these type of COGS on their F-bodys, clints is a different setup, but ours are setup to max out the blower rpms.......Jeremy made 14-15psi at 6100 rpms at that sealevel, down here we will probably see 16-17......

I'm throwing the COGS on tomorrow, any suggestions on how to keep the flywheel still while the car is in the air while we are trying to get the crank bolt loose? Going to be doing it with a big bar......

If I get these COGS running right the only thing left to worry about for me now is fuel support, I hope those mototron 60's hold up......

372c.i. motor plus 17 PSI should put down some power.......I'm hoping for over 600rwhp for now....

I could possibly get the car tuned by next week or the week after if all goes well tomorrow.....

TH400 is fresh with a new 4000 converter

My trans was washing up a lot of power on the dyno last time we had it on there......took me 10 mins to get out of my driveway....
Old 03-04-2004, 12:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yep, I am also at 5600ft so that sucks for making boost.
Bos see if you can find,rent or borrow a real good impact gun with some massive reverse capability. Thats what worked for me. I never had to use a locking tool or screw driver in the flexplate to remove the crankbolt. Its worth a shot. Now torquing it back down, your gonna need something to lock it up with.
Good luck with the install buddy, make sure to swing it by Z8's to have him double check the alignment of the cogs and belt. Maybe he will find something that I didn't.
J
Old 03-04-2004, 12:52 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can e-mail me the efilive log if you wish, kpevin (a) tds.net.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Cool will do, let me fire up the ol laptop and get things transfered to this one. I will get it to you by tomorrow at the latest. I really appreciate you guys with all your help and support who knows maybe "we" will get her running stronger sooner than later.
LS1tech rocks.
J
Old 03-04-2004, 12:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, I will, he has a mud driveway right now, new one isn't paved, so its hard to get it there, but I will see if he will take a glance at it.....

I really don't trust the impact gun, thats mostly because I'm worried about stripping the threads......

-Also- Forgot to add in the above post, I'm not running a steel bracket, running the stock one for now with a bracket support from Chris & Kurt Sikora......
Old 03-04-2004, 01:05 AM
Restricted User

Bos, so your saying that the D1SC is basically only going to see about 18psi or so on an LS1? I have no idea thats why I am asking. BTW, I used a medium sized flat tip screwdriver held thru the inspection hole against the teeth while the guy cranked away with a cheater bar. Actually I was more worried doing that, then using the Massive Reverse power Impact Gun. Those bastards work wonders, even putting the bolt back in. I did use a touch of Red locktite, and it locked tight!

Will the F-1 housing fit the same brackets and cooling pipes as the D-1?
Old 03-04-2004, 01:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

F1 will fit the same, I'm sure the D-1SC can put more boost out.......no one has really tried it yet......

The only thing thats drawing me away from the impact gun is possibly stripping the crank bolt, is there a risk w/this?
Old 03-04-2004, 01:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Cool, let me know what he says or finds out.
I wouldn't worry about stripping out the threads taking it out. Now putting it in on the other hand, especially if you drive it home with out tightening it up with your hand first. I always put the bolt in and tighten it with my hand. I then use a ratchet to finish snugging it up. Then comes the TQ wrench
J
Old 03-04-2004, 01:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Good night guys the girlfriend says its time to hit the sack
J
Old 03-04-2004, 01:13 AM
Restricted User

Not in taking it out, at least not to my knowledge. I have done a few and the only time I had a problem was trying to not use the impact gun. Was more scared of the bolt head snapping from a slow load or the teeth on the flywheel chipping. But thast just my experience. FWIW, my own car was impacted as well. Good luck.

I need to find out MAX effort (before heating the charge up beyond point of gain) for the D1, I think it is not going to be high enough, given the max rpm of 65,000 need to find out pulley conversion.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:13 AM
Restricted User

Yep, my son says g'night to. Aloha from Charlie in Hawaii.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:14 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Just use the impact to get it loose, its the zip in/zip out that usually tears stuff up. I have used the mondo 3/4 impact here to do a lot of LS1 crank bolts, just make sure you use a tight fitting 6 point impact socket.

I you are scared just lock the flywheel with a long bar stuck through the converter between it and the flexplate to hold it - thats how I get mine loose with the th350 at home. That and the floor jack handle over a 1/2" drive long ratchet..
Old 03-04-2004, 01:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the tips, I see if I can get a hold of an impact......
Old 03-04-2004, 02:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BIGBOS
Me and Jeremy and Tom and Kyle and Clint are the only ones I know of running these type of COGS on their F-bodys, clints is a different setup, but ours are setup to max out the blower rpms.......Jeremy made 14-15psi at 6100 rpms at that sealevel, down here we will probably see 16-17......

I'm throwing the COGS on tomorrow, any suggestions on how to keep the flywheel still while the car is in the air while we are trying to get the crank bolt loose? Going to be doing it with a big bar......

If I get these COGS running right the only thing left to worry about for me now is fuel support, I hope those mototron 60's hold up......

372c.i. motor plus 17 PSI should put down some power.......I'm hoping for over 600rwhp for now....

I could possibly get the car tuned by next week or the week after if all goes well tomorrow.....

TH400 is fresh with a new 4000 converter

My trans was washing up a lot of power on the dyno last time we had it on there......took me 10 mins to get out of my driveway....
Bos, I just use a big screw driver and lock the flywheel and tq it to 250ftlb's after tightening it on by hand first......
You get your 60# Motrons in yet???? How long from when you ordered till you recieved them?
My Bousch 420L should be here tomorrow or today as its 251am and my auromotive reg. too......... Ill be ordering my Motrons soon, but im looking for someone else to order with me so we can get them cheaper........ Know anyne?
Ill be happy with 15-16 psi of boost and 650rwhp.......ill be stepping up to a TH400 after my 12 bolt and cage are in........
Time for bed.. Later
Kyle
Old 03-04-2004, 08:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have to get my money order sent out, then I should get them back, Tom is holding on to them for me still.....

Should have them early next week if I send a money order out today.......
Old 03-04-2004, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Na$ty they sent them out the next day from when I ordered them. When you call talk to Brian, he'll take care of you.
Tom

Quick Reply: Cog dyno/boost results.........