Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Cog dyno/boost results.........

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cog dyno/boost results.........

Well I have some good news and some bad news(well for me anyway)

First off, here are some pics for BOS, sorry for the delay

If you need some more just let me know, I'll be here from now on.

O.K. sorry for the absence guys, my motto is "i'll get right on it, in a million years" so that should tell you something. I couldn't make it to the dyno to save mylife, if it wasn't weather, it was not having someone to video tape or watch the laptop or my fear of blowing the car up.... more the last one than anything.

So, I woke up this morning to snow coming down, but FCKit the car is going to the dyno today. So me and my bro Eric went and got in right away(snow is good for keeping the stangs at home)but the roads were wet and so were the tires on the rollers for a minute or two

First the good news, the car didn't blow up........well.........
Good news A) The cogs and cog belt did excellent, didn't get fazed at all.
Good news B) Boost never dropped, it stayed strong until he lifted.
Good news C) 13.5-14psi was hit with no problem but........
Good news D) With 3 spacers per stand off, the s/c cog and alt pulley never made contact

Now the bad news, the car didn't blow up but.....
Bad news A)Tranny gave up the ghost(preliminary guess by the dyno dude)
Bad news B)My Tune is way outta whack
Bad news C)My fuel is also way fCKed up, went lean big time, need to get my ADJ FPR on the damn car, just need to find the gay fittings to the CAS reg.

The engine was making the power but it wasn't getting to the ground. The dyno guy said it was the tranny. He said it revs and pulls great but nothing was happening at the rollers. He only was able to take it to 6100rpm so the potential to make more boost is there. He had to get out of it because the car was going dangerously lean. Power was way down from my MMS 3.2 pull. So if the weather looks good tomorrow. I will drop the tranny pan to check it out, and change the fluid and filter.

As for the cogs, I am glad they made the boost. No nosedive or wavy boost gauge needle. Just a solid 13.5 to 14psi at 6100rpm, I am sure it would go up 1 or 2 psi more if we were able to spin it to the 7000rpm limit. The belt looked excellent after 6 pulls with no dust or stripped teeth. With 3 spacers per standoff(9 total) the s/c cog never rubbed the alternator pulley I still want a support bracket from Z8 to be on the safe side.(Z8 make it adjustable doesn't have to be a lot)

I wish I had some big hp/tq numbers for you guys but I only have excellent boost numbers for the cog set up.

I need to get my fuel situation figured out, as well as the tranny and tuning.
Max timing was at 16degs and I was seeing 439grams per sec at 6100 according to the efilive. a/f went from 11.1 at the beginning of the pull to 13.1 when he lifted with the look of doom in his eyes

I now have a digital boost gauge that has max boost memory that I have to install, just got in the mail yesterday. I will get this installed and get you some pics of the max boost reading for you guys.

Oh yeah, I was seeing 3deg KR at WOT. Coming up to a stop sign, or starting out or when shifting gears the car reads a up to 13deg KR. The dyno guy was saying that this was "noise" that the cogs generate. Sounds reasonable, what do you guys think.

Sorry, Bos, Kyle and dirty for taking so long to get some results. I hope I provided you guys with the info you needed for your cog set ups or questions. They will make boost, and power but only with a car that is up to it. For what its worth the dyno guy thinks the car will make 550-600 here once its all ironed out.
Jeremy

oh yeah, Video of the car on the dyno. Let me know if you watched and what you think.
http://home.comcast.net/~gbazan/cogdyno1.mov
8megs but you get a good taste of the HKS BOV between shifts
Old 03-02-2004, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like it will be nasty when its all figured out.

i'm getting my blower installed sometime next week, can't friggin wait.

dude your car sounds badazz and sounds like it can move on out BIG TIME!
Old 03-02-2004, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jer,

No slip ...awsome......How long ago was your tranny rebuilt???? I just rebuilt mine with all new clutches, new steals and everything else and an extra clutch per gear. I am hoping mine lasts a while... at least till i slap my 12 bolt in there and make a few passes befor ei need to go with a TH400.
13.5-14 psi huh....... doesnt altitude effect boost also?? So that would me us guys at sea level should be able to see a little more. I plan on shifting at 6500rpm's so 15-16 psi would be just fine with me...........
Thanks for the update man....
Bos, hurry up and get yours on since were so close to being the same setup.......
Kyle
Old 03-02-2004, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good to hear......

I will have those 42.5's out of the car soon if you still need them.....

At least the boost is there, thats all that matters now.....

Get the tranny issue worked out along with the fuel and your good to go....

I'm going to be installing my pulleys this thursday.....
Old 03-02-2004, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Seeing the car on the dyno gives me the goosebumps......I can only imagine how much more of a hit that would be with a well working trans and fuel supply.......you should make 600rwhp no problem....
Old 03-02-2004, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Kyle, thats the stock 68000 mile tranny never rebuilt The only thing that I have done to it was a filter change back when I did the converter(long time ago) and added in B&M trick shift. I used to run that stuff in my N2O powered Z28 and never had a problem so I went with it in my formula. Tranny has lasted waaaay longer than I thought it would. She has done me proud A lot of factors can be added into the boost equation, altitude, heads, cam, headers and exhaust. I might be seeing a little more because I run mid length headers on the car, no long tubes. I am sure this can affect psi readings also so you guys might be in the right ball park once you get them on.

Bos, I am pretty sure I will be needing your 42.5's pm when you need the cash.
At least the boost is there, thats all that matters now.....
EXACTLY I am glad you see it that way. I just wanted to post some good numbers for you guys. Getting the car on the dyno was nerveracking. I am glad the engine held together thats what mattered most.

CMotorsports looks like I will be getting one of your awesome trannies lol.
Jeremy
Old 03-02-2004, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Get som, Thanks buddy. Glad you are going FI'ed, be prepared to spend spend spend, unless you are happy with 8-9psi. Why couldn't I be happy with thatlol
What s/c are you going with ATI, Vortech?
J
Old 03-02-2004, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

I will PM you when they are out......
Old 03-02-2004, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

well for what its worth a vette with 12-14psi PP 6.0 heads and a fairly mild cam put down 690rwhp...just to let you know
Old 03-02-2004, 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would love to see 690 uncorrected. Up here at 5600ft that would be around 760 corrected give or take a few hp. Realistically the car should put down 550-600, that would be around 700-730 corrected. Anything higher would be gravy. I also suffer from lack of LS1 affluent shops around here. That makes a big difference in getting everything dialed in, I can only do so much before I run out of knowledge. I can pretty much bolt anything up or fix stuff, but when it comes to tuning EFI that stuff is voodoo to me
J
Old 03-02-2004, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Kyle, thats the stock 68000 mile tranny never rebuilt The only thing that I have done to it was a filter change back when I did the converter(long time ago) and added in B&M trick shift. I used to run that stuff in my N2O powered Z28 and never had a problem so I went with it in my formula. Tranny has lasted waaaay longer than I thought it would. She has done me proud A lot of factors can be added into the boost equation, altitude, heads, cam, headers and exhaust. I might be seeing a little more because I run mid length headers on the car, no long tubes. I am sure this can affect psi readings also so you guys might be in the right ball park once you get them on.

Bos, I am pretty sure I will be needing your 42.5's pm when you need the cash.

EXACTLY I am glad you see it that way. I just wanted to post some good numbers for you guys. Getting the car on the dyno was nerveracking. I am glad the engine held together thats what mattered most.

CMotorsports looks like I will be getting one of your awesome trannies lol.
Jeremy
Dang stock 68,000 mile tranny.... huh when we pulled mine from before the 2-3 clutch packs were almost gone and she wouldnt shift at WOT on the 1-2 and the 2-3 shift...... I hope this time it stay togeather for a while cause the 12 bolt and cage come first then a th400...... are those 42.5#ers going to be big enough for you or is it an altitude thing again...........
later
Kyle
Old 03-02-2004, 11:08 PM
8 Second Club

thanks for the update, and the vid!
sorry to hear about the tranny, guess it's time for a 4L80E

now hurry up and fix your problems
Old 03-02-2004, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Kyle who knows at this point at what's going to be enough I just hope to get it running right. It really bummed me out when the car dyno'ed less than the MMS 3.2 combo. I'm really rethinking the fuel set up now. I just don't know how come my fuel supply is acting like it is lagging behind when the RPMs come up. It literally feels like the fuel being held up by something. First thing that comes to mind is that my hobbs switch went bad and it isn't turning on my inline FP. That is an easy and inexpensive fix. I will be ordering another and also checking my powerlines to both pumps to make sure on isn't grounding somewhere. All I know is that we have never had as much crappy rainy/snowy weather here in Alb, and now its been going on for a couple weeks which makes working on the car real shi#y.
List of things needing to be installed.
Digital FP gauge
ADJ FPR
Digital Boost gauge
O2 Sensors
*Tranny* I hope that the fluid is just too low.....
Funny it never ends. When did I sign my soul over to this red
Old 03-02-2004, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

No problem Dirty thanks for all the online support
I have my eye on a LS1speed tranny on the FS board right now.....
4L80E Hell no, that thing looks like I will have to do some "messaging" to the floor boards to squeeze it in lol.

As for fixing all these problems...I'll get right on it....in a million years
J
Old 03-03-2004, 12:44 AM
8 Second Club

i heard it's only "a tight fit" , it just weighs more. the upside is that stock they are good to 800 ft/lbs.

don't feel bad, i lost 70 hp by going to bigger heads and exhaust.

do you have a fule pressure guage? if so watch it for a small spike when the boost kicks in, that way you know it's working. i think most of your problems are from the tranny slipping not the fule supply, since leaner usually gives higher numbers.
could the tires have been spining on the rollers?
Old 03-03-2004, 12:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would upgrade to at least twin 340's or a single 420 like I have......

After that the injectors are the only thing left to get right......

I saw a 2-3psi drop when I did the lower comp heads on my 346 motor.......loss of HP....

No big deal, I'm sure your car will put down some screaming #'s when its all good...
Old 03-03-2004, 01:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

i think most of your problems are from the tranny slipping not the fule supply, since leaner usually gives higher numbers.
Dyno guy said the same thing, he was pretty sure it was the tranny or converter messing up. He loved how it revs aggressively going through the gears but it failed to deliver on all the noise

No kidding on the loosing HP stuff, I think I will go back to stock since it was kicking serious *** that way in the first place lol.

Bos, resent the diagram
Jack@racetronix is convinced that I have enough pump for right now.....
Yep injectors and maybe and new inline and new billet rails(have a GP request up now on the GP/Sponsor board)

Hopefully she does put down some serious numbers once all is fixed, I am totally serious about sending the car out of state to get tuned/fixed by someone how knows LS1's and tuning. I am tired of working on her already Time to hand it over to someone with more Knowledge
J
Old 03-03-2004, 03:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Damn Jer that sucks.......... I thought the 4L80E had problems with adapting and using the our PCM...... If not im all over that baby.....Isnt it just a TH-400 w/ over drive?????? Its good that we get an idea on how much boost we will see. How long till your back up you think?? I have a while till mine is done man..... I pick up my shortblock next weekend and then ill drop it in and strat everything, but i will be waiting on the cash to buy my 60# Motrons....Ill have that cash on the 15th of next month and ill send my PCM out to MTI so i can get the car running and put 1000 miles on it before i dyno tune.....in that time i will have orderd my Cog pulleys and me ready to dyno tune......Its the little crap thats going to snag me up.......
Kyle
Old 03-03-2004, 05:59 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Get som, Thanks buddy. Glad you are going FI'ed, be prepared to spend spend spend, unless you are happy with 8-9psi. Why couldn't I be happy with thatlol
What s/c are you going with ATI, Vortech?
J

I'm going with a Vortech. Got a helluva deal on it that i couldn't pass up. What's weird is, I had no plans to do a supercharger whatsoever. I figure its less money in the long run for the power I want. I originally was gonna do heads/cam /nitrous.

just hoping my trans and rear hold up. 8-9 psi should do me good for now. Don't want my bottom end to do this

So next week I get my vortech w/aftercooler installed along with headers, offroad y and magnaflow. should be pretty nice driving her with 175 extra horsepower.

the best thing the power will be always there.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Kyle I agree this sucks already but it will get better. I just can't expect to throw in a new engine, cog set up and questionable tuning and go make good numbers(even tho I wanted it to work that way lol). At this stage of the game I have to work a little harder to get it running right. I wished it was easier than this due to all this work being done in the driveway on jackstands in the cold and wet but oh well she will rock hopefully sooner than later.
I hope to have it all figured out soon, if the tranny is indeed dead, I will have to buy one and get it installed. The fuel situation should be pretty easy to fix. Tuning on the other hand.....
I think I can have it running strong in a months time, I want to get the track and race already.
I will stick with the 4l60E - less things to mess with and buy to convert over to anything else. I had good luck with the stock one, and a beefier one should last just as long.

Get Som,
Good deals are always awesome. I am sure you will hit your desired power level with the Vortech kit. I am still on the stock rear, I race on ET streets and hit 1.60-high 1.5 at the track and the car is/was daily driven. Same goes for the stock tranny it put up with a lot but it might be dead now. 48000+ miles of s/c'ed abuse its about time
At 8-9psi your engine should do just fine, just get it tuned by someone who knows what the hell he/she is doing and it will be reliable and rock. I see you live in FL, I would take it to Jeremy Formato at Fasterproms. He was one of my choices to get the car tuned but I didn't have enough cash at the time.
Good luck tho,
J

Quick Reply: Cog dyno/boost results.........