Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Seat pressure with XER cam with boost at 20+ pounds?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
No problem, you might want to PM Brian Tooley as he will have some great info and steer you in the right direction. I know he frequents yellowbullet but I'm not sure if he's on here much.
Hey nitroused, i did get in touch with brian tooley and he said my XER cam will not work for my combo.....period!

So.... a little upgrade was in order. I ordered a cam from my tuner, Geoff at Engine Power Systems www.engpwrsys.com . I don't have the final specs yet but it is a HUC lobe with specs around 239/245 .630/.635ish and cut on 115. Geoff said it will be pretty gentle on the valve train and should pull fine up to 6500 rpms. I also had too much converter so i called PTC and ordered a 9.5" billet piece from tim. The bolt together neal chance converter i had was a 9" and would go to 5500 rpms at only 15 pounds of boost (my turbo's will prob max out at 25 or so at the track). Way too loose for my combo and marty at chance tighented it up as much as he could. The last change is a 3.15 gear from a 2.73. It should accelerate the car a little better while still loading the turbo's. I didn't want to start racing until my combo was closer to where it needed to be. I think this will get me there. I'm installing the converter tonight and the cam should be here tomorrow....should be done this weekend. I'll update soon.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hell yea man race the **** out of that thing, I know I would!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You will really like those HUC lobes, sucks all you've had to go through but there is only so much you can do with heavy valves on a hydraulic roller setup. Valve control is far more important in most setups than having an agressive lobe profile.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
You will really like those HUC lobes, sucks all you've had to go through but there is only so much you can do with heavy valves on a hydraulic roller setup. Valve control is far more important in most setups than having an agressive lobe profile.
^^^^That is almost exactly what Geoff at EPS said....lol. The turbo's will make the power, i just needed a stable valve train to get there.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Hell yea man race the **** out of that thing, I know I would!
I'm going beat that be-och!!

edit, the converter just came in with the wrong e'ffing bolt pattern..... that will cost me a week!

Last edited by TracyRR; 09-29-2011 at 06:03 PM. Reason: fixed
Old 09-29-2011, 06:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a buddy that build a N/A stroker motor and used all the sensors out of the old motor. The old motor was stock long block with a cam and intake, it ran fine.

The new motor would rev great while it was spinning. When it hooked up it would get flat
about 5200-5300 and start to break up. Long story short it was the crank sensor.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey chris, that is weird but if this thing doesn't rev, i will gladly try a crank sensor, lol!! Thanks man
Old 09-30-2011, 09:52 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey got that converter, works great, feels good. Jus wanted to say i have the same problem with my motor, one reason i decited to change the came, it noses over at 5800 ish with 224/228 cam stock rockers/lifters and afr heads with prc's
We came to the conclusion it was cam, we couldent control the valve so i decited to go solid roller. Good info in this thread! Keep it up!
Old 09-30-2011, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey pro, glad you like the converter! I was also tempted with a solid roller but wimped out and went hyd, lol. Thanks man
Old 09-30-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The cam is installed in the car....It is a HUC lobe and the specs are 239/243 .620/.627 cut on 115 IC is 115+3.... Intake = 7 btdc and 51 abdc; Exhaust = 59 bbdc and 3 atdc.

The converter had the wrong bolt pattern but PTC is going to take care of it asap. Tim has been very nice at PTC!
Old 09-30-2011, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

those specs sounds a lot better. The opening and closing events look a lot better, and the milder lobe should work well, hope everything comes around for you!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Long update for ya..... I changed the cam, converter and 3.15 gear as mentioned above but i also had another turbo wipe out. This is the second turbo that i had to return for warranty repair. The thrust was wiped out but it did not eat itself up yet..... Precision went through it and all is good now. There are a couple things i am changing as a result of the journal bearing issue: My compressor inlet (to the air filter) was reduced down to 3" (from 4") with tight bends so i'm going to fab a new air intake system. My concern was that i was creating a vacuum or restriction on the inlet side and killing the thrust bearing. I also am going to add a vent on my suction side of my turbo oiling system. After doing a little research, the turbowerx exa suction pump might be scavanging too much oil and creating a vacuum in the drain. Might be a long shot but it will be cheap to fab. Ok, back to the update.... Once i had my turbo removed, i wanted to increase the size of my cold side piping, from dual 2" to 2.5". This is a minor change but i also wanted to increase the size of my inlet on my intercooler inlets. I "thought" they were dual 1.75" inlets inside diameter..... they were actually dual 1.25" ID inlets!!! Yes, i kinda **** when i saw that. So i had two 2.5" inlets welded on the intercooler to match my my cold side piping. Got it running tonight on the stands so tomorrow i will go for a blast!! It seems to rev much quicker with this camshaft so hopefully that is a good sign. I'll update with some good news hopefully tomorrow. Thanks

Last edited by TracyRR; 10-11-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:30 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

So you had only 2 x 1.25" on your intercooler....and wonder why it wouldnt rev properly ?

Who on earth sells an intercooler like that ? What size is the actual core itself ?
Old 10-12-2011, 08:01 AM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On the turbo drain, why dont you take a piece of 4" pipe, cut it to 6-10" long and cap both ends. Have the turbos drain to it and have the turbowerx pull from the tank. Put a vent on the tank, have the turbos drain high and the turbowerx suck low. Will eliminate the vacuum.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hey stevie, yes. The intercooler was the last item i am using from my original STS rear mount twin kit. The core is approx 6 height x 3 thick x 30 width. When i moved to a front mount twin system, i never removed the I/C so i didn't measure.... I kept thinking the inlets (ID) were 1.75" but of course that was the OD. The I/C outlet to the throttle body is approx 3.25" ID. Oh well, it is fixed now, lesson learned.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
On the turbo drain, why dont you take a piece of 4" pipe, cut it to 6-10" long and cap both ends. Have the turbos drain to it and have the turbowerx pull from the tank. Put a vent on the tank, have the turbos drain high and the turbowerx suck low. Will eliminate the vacuum.
hey phil, because i have my turbo's low mounted, there is just no room the way i have it configured. I may be able to relocate my -10 suction lines so i can run a swirl pot. I was alluding to your thread on the bullet so i have been following it trying to improve my system. Thanks phil
Old 10-12-2011, 08:53 AM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TracyRR
hey phil, because i have my turbo's low mounted, there is just no room the way i have it configured. I may be able to relocate my -10 suction lines so i can run a swirl pot. I was alluding to your thread on the bullet so i have been following it trying to improve my system. Thanks phil
Bullshit. I bet my turbo is 2 - 3" lower than yours and I've got a "swirl pot/catch tank" on it. Use 90s out of the turbo into 90s into the tank. Shoot me your cell # and I'll send you a pic.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Bullshit. I bet my turbo is 2 - 3" lower than yours and I've got a "swirl pot/catch tank" on it. Use 90s out of the turbo into 90s into the tank. Shoot me your cell # and I'll send you a pic.
hey phil, ok, i'll take that bet, lol. This is not an APS or a TTI system. I am going to try to relieve the vacuum (if the exa pump is creating a vacuum) with a vent and see how that works first. My charge pipes/exhaust pipes are not oiled. Thanks as usual.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Forgot to update the thread.... It runs great and will buzz cleanly to 6500+ rpms with no issue. This cam rev's quicker and smoother than the XER cam, big props to Geoff at Engine Power Systems for grinding a great cam!!! The new PTC converter is dead on. This converter is much tighter and loads the motor nicely. PTC nailed it perfectly, thanks Tim! The bottom line is the combo is done!!! The car pulls real hard and even the drivability has improved. It is e'ffing sick! Thanks for the help guys, i really appreciate it!!
Old 10-16-2011, 11:56 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hell ya thats what it's all about. How well does your setup spool and how did it spool with the 370? Reason I ask is a friend is debating between twin 62ish turbos or a single 91 for a 370 th400 t-brake street / strip chevelle.

Quick Reply: Seat pressure with XER cam with boost at 20+ pounds?