Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My Build - 2002 TA 408 - Twin 67's

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allout06
Ok kool. I was just curious cuz im building something very similar.. AES390, Twin 66's, -15cc Diamond pistons with ported/polished/revalved 317's, and was looking for that 1xxx rwhp number just for ***** and giggles. Also going with an aquamist meth kit.

I may have missed it but what tranny are you running?

How does the car feel on the street? Im looking forward to driving mine one day lol

How quickly do the turbos spool?

Thanks man!
Hey again, sorry for the late reply...I'm not subbed to this thread and I didn't see it bumped again.

Anyway, it has a home built 4L80E in it by my uncle who is a tranny guy. With the bigger cubes, the turbos are spooling up to around 8psi by 3400-3500 or so which is where my stall is at so it's always in boost. The 3.00 gear on the street makes it feel less torquey for sure compared to even my truck which has 4.11's and a 430hp LS in it, but it just pulls so hard once it gets to revving. The 3.00's also let first gear go to over 65 mph and 2nd is around 120. My truck would be in 4th by that point...lol. But I love it, makes it tons easier for traction as well and cruising on the hwy is very nice at just under 2k at 70 mph.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

Also, had to have some work done on my radiator setup as well. The single 16" puller fixed right to the radiator just wasn't cutting it in the Dallas Summer heat. Don't let anyone fool you saying it will, because unless you live where it's sub 90* outside, the thing will want to overheat on you when you sit still idling.

We added a shroud and moved the radiator a touch more forward. Car stays MUCH cooler now as I'm using the whole radiator to dissipate heat. This is a bigger radiator than the standard Griffin and is working great now that its shrouded. Had to ditch my washer reservoir for my meth tank and going to get another tank to put in its place.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8psi at 3500. those thing must start singing almost instantly than lol. im thinking about skipping the th400 and goin with the 80e. my rear has 3.90 gears now. prolly change to a 3.50 or 3.25. what stall you running? i want the car to feel snappy on the street and not lazy
Old 07-22-2013, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by allout06
8psi at 3500. those thing must start singing almost instantly than lol. im thinking about skipping the th400 and goin with the 80e. my rear has 3.90 gears now. prolly change to a 3.50 or 3.25. what stall you running? i want the car to feel snappy on the street and not lazy
Indeed it does man And yea, I may change the gears out later to something like you're thinking. It's easy to do with the 9". I'll leave these in until I get to the track though and see how they do. That's the reason they were in here in the first place; with a 27" tire, it'll go through the beams in 3rd gear at 6500...or so I calculated it would...lol. We'll see though soon. Too much going on lately but I HOPE to get out to the track in the next month or so.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:42 PM
TECH Regular

sweet. what radiator are you using??
Old 07-22-2013, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98blackbirdta
sweet. what radiator are you using??
I don't know the part number but it is a Griffin and the core is the same width as the standard Griffin at 27.5 most use but is 18.5" tall. It was a bit of an oversight because I bought it thinking it was the standard 15.5" tall one but when I cut the top from the crossmember and sat it in the bottom channel where the radiator usually sits at I was like...yea, this hood isn't going to shut...lol. So we just made it work with some custom fab work. I left the old lower tray intact because that's what the hood latch is bolted to from the factory. I could probably get rid of it, but it isn't causing an issue yet.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking sick!
Old 07-22-2013, 08:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 93BlackBeast
I don't know the part number but it is a Griffin and the core is the same width as the standard Griffin at 27.5 most use but is 18.5" tall. It was a bit of an oversight because I bought it thinking it was the standard 15.5" tall one but when I cut the top from the crossmember and sat it in the bottom channel where the radiator usually sits at I was like...yea, this hood isn't going to shut...lol. So we just made it work with some custom fab work. I left the old lower tray intact because that's what the hood latch is bolted to from the factory. I could probably get rid of it, but it isn't causing an issue yet.
i thought it seemed taller, Im gonna have to suck it up and get a new radiator, Texas heat it a killer.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Exhaust??

Do you have any pictures of the exhaust. Awesome car, and you have full exhaust like I want. Do you have mufflers?
Old 09-16-2016, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Holy Necro
Old 09-19-2016, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MillsMotorvation
Do you have any pictures of the exhaust. Awesome car, and you have full exhaust like I want. Do you have mufflers?
Thanks brother! And yes, I went with the Kooks True Dual Full Exhaust. It's a 3" Stainless kit all the way back. I had to fab up the tubes from the downpipes to just back past the K member. I opted to go without mufflers because the turbos quietened it down surprisingly, so I contacted Bob at EPP to get them custom ordered. The guys at Kooks were really good to work with too and I told them what I wanted (standard dual kit minus mufflers) and they knocked off a couple hundred bucks since I was using straight pipe instead of mufflers.

I don't have any pics on me at the moment, we're in the middle of moving and I've got hard drives all over the place that I need to consolidate. Here's a quick pic from google with the mufflers, but just imagine straight pipe instead and you've got my setup. You have to purchase an aftermarket pan hard bar relocation to clear the exhaust but everything else fit up tight and sounds amazing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kook...j3WCk9dttnM%3A

Thanks again for digging up the thread and let me know if you have any other questions, always glad to help out.

Cody B.

Quick Reply: My Build - 2002 TA 408 - Twin 67's