Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Aps TT HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aps TT HELP

Alright, I'm new to this forum and before I say anything I just want to say that I have used te search function and what not which that is what confused me. I have a 2002 camaro ss and was wanting to get the Aps tt for it as i like the design. What confuses me is that you all say that the turbos suck and then other forms say there are a 2nd gen one with better turbos. So if that's the case then what new turbos were used? If not what is the most cost-effective way to make this kit an actual good one?
Thanks an sorry I'm a noob :p haha
Old 08-15-2011, 08:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I can't speak for APS, but as far as I know we make the best twin turbo system for the F-body, info found here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-produ...ocharging.html

Even if you buy a brand new APS kit and then upgrade away from the chinese turbos that come with it and buy the BMR K member that is required. You will still be stuck with an APS kit and all its limitations, ie intakes sucking shut, lock to lock turning radius issues, heavy traffic overheating, proprietary turbos that are very expensive, etc etc etc etc you will spend more than you would if you bought our system. Our TT kit has zero issues and is absolutely the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to the 98-02 F-body and forced induction for the street Don't settle, have the best.

Thanks for reading,
Rob
Old 08-15-2011, 08:32 PM
Teching In

I don't really have the $ to put 10k in a turbo kit that's the thing, or else I would choose yours in a second. I'm needing a kit in the 6-8k range, that doesn't take away a/c and is good for a daily driving car.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay away from aps period. Nothing but heartaches and headaches. Buy from one of the sponsers here. I'm biased, but Josh is one of the finest fabricators in the game. His kits are from mild to VERY wild. He's built it all. He has a wealth of knowlege and he'll go the extra 10 miles to help out. I don't have any experience with Modular turbo, but they seem to have a good kit and everyone is happy with it. Do searches on turbo kit fabricators. If you find them in threads that are a big mud slinging thread then you need to stay away. Pay the extra money now or it will cost you dearly in the end. Kits are cheap for a reason. The parts may be cheap, but what you have to do to make them "fit" in the car is where it will cost you. You may have to buy a ton of other parts just so you can get the kit installed in the car. Be prepared if your doing a turbo build. It will cost double the amount that you originally budgeted and that's not counting the little things that you don't think about. Good luck. Chris
Old 08-15-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Modular kit looks nice for sure and likely would have bought it for my car but bought the aps kit as it was the one out when was looking.
As you can see in the sig I still have it. A quick review. The front sway bar can be used if you use some spacers and play with endlinks. I have not been running one for last few years and hardly notice it and my car is 99% street. Overheating. I had some with iron block and with air on in the city. I did spend more money though on pricey rad,high flow water pump,run 160 stat and set my fans to come on early and now have aluminum block.
And got my exhaust manifolds and turbo exhaust manifolds ceramic coated. Now have run car in near 100 degree days but not with air. Broke compressor accidentally when put in 427 recently so won't know how it is until put new one on there to try. Car holds at 210 range.

My first aps turbos one had internal crack.It filled my 408 with coolant.That could be why the 408 had bearing problem when tore it down. I was running the aps with oil cooling only so that also would make things run hotter. I didn't bother sending it back to aps and other than the internal crack and not saying was happy about that ,anyway they were still boosting and working ok when took them out of the car and upgraded to the lg turbos when put in the 427.

I have no problem with turning radius. But the aps install was pretty extensive and intensive. You do have to mod and tweak this and that.
I am not impressed with aps after sales service it was basically zero and fear if do have to get any parts separately might wind up buying and entire kit.

That said the final result in my car is good but also did have to get bmr kmember ,got custom one,did stent my inlet tubes,pretty easy fix,do have to make simple swaybar spacers and did do cooling mods but might not have had to do them all especially if didn't run air like many big power guys do. But I kind of like my air. One reason bought the aps kit in the first place but there are guys with aps that pretty sure run their air no problem. As said in my car there were things making it run hotter and think couple times it did overheat was also tuning related.

That all said I would not buy a new aps kit as don't feel the support is there after sale and they are not helpful at all ,aps is in australia. I would possibly consider a used aps kit but you should be prepared to get the LG upgrades or maybe ebay center cartridges the aps are pretty much just TDO6H mits turbos. Also aps either accidentally or on purpose got chinese knockoffs although don't think it was every kit. As said mine were still boosting after like 5000 miles but that one had that crack from day one maybe was dropped. That crack could have and maybe cost me an engine.

So if you can't get used aps for cheap and have enough left in case you need to get new turbos then save up the extra money and then get the modular kit. It sounds like and looks like a well thought out kit and if changed mine at some future date likely get it.
Whats a few more thousand ,wait over winter and get it in spring. Also as said it comes with custom kmember,intake pipes that can't suck closed, needs less modification to car to install and they have tried to think thru any possible issues that that the aps kit did have.

Do not buy and aps kit direct from them !! I don't know if they are even selling them or not.
I will never in my life buy another aps kit for any future car. Company with no after sale support is not worth a dollar of my or your business. But at least the kit is working well for me now. And the LG turbos are really nice. But I am way over 10k.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:26 PM
9 Second Club

APS sales reps and peter need to be hung. The turbo's suck so if you get a kit get the upgrades offered by vendors. My kit worked well after we fixed all the mistakes from APS. Goodluck!
Old 08-16-2011, 08:39 AM
FormerVendor

To MY99TAWS6:

Thanks for the kind words. When you are ready we are so lets do it.
LS cars are always more powerful in the hands of DSMer's rofl.

To everyone else:

When it is all said and done at the end of the day you are going to spend more than 10K to do it right.
Aps kit + LG turbos + BMR k member + fight this and that to make it all work right.

Or

Buy one kit that has it all and in the end is actually cheaper by thousands. Not to mention all of the hassle and headaches that you WON'T have.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:52 AM
9 Second Club

go with a single turbo kit for sure alot less parts to deal with and cheaper. if i had to do it all over again id go with KYTP kit.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the info guys, its made me reconsider.. As of now I'm just going to do some minor mods to it, then maybe around early summer of next year probably look into modulars tt. I wish I could now but I had a 30k limit and I'm spending 20k on the car alone and prefer to have some other things done first instead of spending the rest of that limit on just the twin turbo. I think I can wait until next summer for that. After all it won't be on the track lol.. Just wanted the twin turbos for the sound and bragging rights haha (although I'd love to have the extra power too). But thanks again I appreciate all your alls inputs!
Old 08-16-2011, 11:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jesus don't spend 20k on the car alone just to mod the **** out of it.

I almost did that, and then decided to find one that was done right 100%(which is hard) for a much cheaper price than me buying one with same amount of miles as my car has now and putting the almost 25-30k my car has in it minus price of car.

Get a 99 or up that has between 50-90k on it not some garage cream puff especially if a TT kit is going on your gonna wanna beat on it a little bit even if you say you aren't!
Old 08-16-2011, 11:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tomz28
go with a single turbo kit for sure alot less parts to deal with and cheaper. if i had to do it all over again id go with KYTP kit.
x2(0000000000)!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ModularTurbo
To everyone else:

When it is all said and done at the end of the day you are going to spend more than 10K to do it right.
Aps kit + LG turbos + BMR k member + fight this and that to make it all work right.
I love the exaggerated information you continue to give out. This is at least the second time.
APS Kit: $5495 shipped
K-member: $514 shipped
PaceSetter Y-pipe: $120 shipped
If my math is correct, that's about $4,000 less than your kit, and I don't have to worry about welded manifolds cracking (the #1 reason I bought APS and held off on LS1Speed's and GMR's kits). That certainly doesn't exceed $10,000. Furthermore, any fool can buy the three items listed above USED for LESS, which yields more savings.

Has the APS kit price increased SO dramatically that one can't find a new kit for less than $9,400?

Are LG turbo UPGRADES absolutely required for the APS kit to work? And aren't they only something like $2,800 for both?

If my turbos **** on me one day, will it cost me over $4,000 to replace the CHRAs? I think the most expensive ones I've found are under $1,000 each and as cheap as $300-400 each.

Don't be afraid of the APS kit, Brandon23153, but don't be a bonehead either. ModularTurbo needs to make a living too, so I can't fault him for his stance.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Somebody09
I love the exaggerated information you continue to give out. This is at least the second time.
If my math is correct, that's about $4,000 less than your kit, and I don't have to worry about welded manifolds cracking (the #1 reason I bought APS and held off on LS1Speed's and GMR's kits). That certainly doesn't exceed $10,000. Furthermore, any fool can buy the three items listed above USED for LESS, which yields more savings.

Has the APS kit price increased SO dramatically that one can't find a new kit for less than $9,400?

Are LG turbo UPGRADES absolutely required for the APS kit to work? And aren't they only something like $2,800 for both?

If my turbos **** on me one day, will it cost me over $4,000 to replace the CHRAs? I think the most expensive ones I've found are under $1,000 each and as cheap as $300-400 each.

Don't be afraid of the APS kit, Brandon23153, but don't be a bonehead either. ModularTurbo needs to make a living too, so I can't fault him for his stance.
Are there still new aps kits out there to buy?
I still think aps service after sale is very bad and they didn't handle the knock off thing too well.
You can get center carts off ebay for 300 each or whatever they are simply TDO6H centers. I bought some and sold them off but they are plug and play.
I never installed them just had them as back up. As said my aps turbos were still working when took them out although as said had to run them oil cooled only due to that one interally cracked one.
You can indeed get the kmember used and I got the hooker ceramic coated ypipe. I got my manifolds and exhaust housings ceramic coated for pretty reasonable. Cast manifolds do hold up well usually at least mine have so far they look fine at 5000 miles. Welded manifolds can crack for sure from the weight of turbos on them.

The LG upgrades are like 2800 set. Not cheap but they look like quality pieces and they sure seem to be making the power no complaints there although no dyno numbers yet the old buttmeter is still saying car is stupid fast at only 10psi but the 427 dont' hurt either!

I fixed up sway bar setup on my aps kit yesterday pretty easy. Just added some spacers to space the inlet pipes down bit and shortened endlinks on my spohn sway bar to get more clearance from upper pipes when suspension is at top of its travel.Easy pretty simple fix. As said had some cooling issues with air on?
But had factors that might have caused that. Like iron block,no water cooling to the turbos, etc. So far seeing zero problems but with no air with my cooling setup but it was pricey, rad over 1000 bucks,high flow water pump,etc.

Anyway its good there are a few options out there to turbo our fourth gens.
I lost 2000 bucks when company went down with my deposit. At least aps shipped the product. Shame on the knock off thing and shame on how Peter handled it and his attitude in general. I will never as said give aps one cent of my money for any new turbo system in the future. I don't even think can get a spare part out of them either. I would also have next to zero faith that the standard aps turbos would last very long.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:07 AM
FormerVendor

You a right about one thing, I have said that many times and I always will because it is true.

Lets use your numbers:
LG turbo upgrade: $2800

Total is $8929

Our kit with an A2A intercooler and 78mm turbos (w/ 1 year no fault warranty) is $8200.......... hmmmmm

I know that you are going to repeat what you said in the previous post about "LG turbos are not required" but lets face if you aren't using them we are not comparing apples to apples.

Our base price includes turbos up to 78mm's that is 1200HP of capability can the LG turbo upgrade even do that for an APS kit, can the intercooler that comes with it even come close to that........

So in a nut shell we are cheaper, engineered better, make more power, NON-Chinese, provide warranty, provide support, and install for FREE.

PS does anyone else think its funny that I have to defend against a kit that isn't even made anymore LOL............

Last edited by ModularTurbo; 08-17-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:08 PM
8 Second Club

Received 94 Likes on 75 Posts

I am happy to sell my APS kit to someone so I can buy a modular turbo kit. I believe it is maxed out.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:02 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by AgFormula02
I am happy to sell my APS kit to someone so I can buy a modular turbo kit. I believe it is maxed out.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

PS does anyone else think its funny that I have to defend against a kit that isn't even made anymore LOL............
When people insult me using false statements, I have no problem ignoring it, for I know truth will prevail. If what someone says is true and I feel insulted? Well, then I'll deny it, justify it, defend myself, etc. So yeah, I too find it funny. Let the awesomeness of your kit defend it's price tag and superiority to APS's. Don't let my facts discourage you, or leave you feeling like you have to defend it!

That being said...

I suppose the OP could begin with the "Extreme" APS TT f-body kit that incorporated the knock-off GT35-Rs instead of the standard kit. That one started at $1,100 more, if my memory serves me. At $7,229 it's still $1,000 less than yours. MY99TAWS6 is probably right in that new kits aren't available, so the OP will have to buy used and save. I don't know Brandon23153 on a personal level so I can't begin to speculate whether he needs someone to install the kit for him. The warranty sounds nice though. I wonder if I dumped <whatever difference> extra dollars into APS's lap if they'd have warrantied my thing for one year... but it's been four so that's kind of a moot point.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

You a right about one thing, I have said that many times and I always will because it is true.

Lets use your numbers:
LG turbo upgrade: $2800

Total is $8929

Our kit with an A2A intercooler and 78mm turbos (w/ 1 year no fault warranty) is $8200.......... hmmmmm

I know that you are going to repeat what you said in the previous post about "LG turbos are not required" but lets face if you aren't using them we are not comparing apples to apples.

Our base price includes turbos up to 78mm's that is 1200HP of capability can the LG turbo upgrade even do that for an APS kit, can the intercooler that comes with it even come close to that........

NO it can't

So in a nut shell we are cheaper, engineered better, make more power, NON-Chinese, provide warranty, provide support, and install for FREE.

The big LG turbos (82mm billet compressor exducers) will flow a lot of air. More than twin GT35r's. So yes, I'd say they can capably compete. Plus, the quality of the APS hot and cold side piping can't be beat, IMO.

I don't have the LG turbos, but I do have upgraded turbos for my APS C5. I dont doubt one bit that I could make 1000rw if I had a motor to support it. I may even try to this fall.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:09 PM
FormerVendor

Who is insulting? I am not insulting anyone. If you felt insulted I am sorry you feel that way. That is not my intention in the slightest.

I just call it how I see it.

If you don't agree that's fine its your right.

It's a forum and people have opinions I have mine & you have yours. If you think that the APS kit is the greatest thing since sliced bread that is awesome go tell it on the mountain.

I'm on my mountain and I'm offering my view as well.

The OP asked about the APS twin turbo system and wanted to know how to make it better because everyone he read about said that the turbos sucked.

Well.... My fix is, don't even use that JUNK in the first place use a TT kit that has NO issues.

Because at the end of the day you are going to spend more to fix it's problems.

Some people like buying used cars with blown up motors for cheap, they fix them up and now they have a nice car for cheap.
Some people just want a nice car so they buy a car that isn't all F'ed up and spend a little on it.

That is the case here.

Do you want to deal with problems and design flaws and save money? Barring of course that you have the skills to fix them with little investment.
Or do you want to buy it once, put it on, and go racing without any issues?

I don't know about you but I don't use Chinese parts on my cars, and I never will.

Thanks for reading,

PS I am no expert on LG turbos and I shouldn't comment on what they can and cannot do. Comments removed.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2 biggest benefits to the kit are that you have almost endless combinations of T4 turbos. The kit will accept a T4 with a E comp cover and a T4 with a 60 series Comp cover.
The turbine wheels and compressor wheels that you can mix and match with these 2 turbos will suit any combination that you will need for a car that keeps all the amenities.

The other benefit is the radiator is left untouched and the air flow through the radiator
is unobstructed in anyway, shape or form.

That was the goal when we set out to build this kit.
We met our goals.

I bet there's not a APS owner that has fixed all the issues with there kit that don't have 10K tied up in it.

If you bought a new kit off someone for full retail, upgraded the turbos and bought the hybrid K member that BMR makes for the kit and took care of the little odds and ends
before you installed it you would have the cheapest APS kit with all the fixes.

The other APS owners had to pull there motor out for this or that and buy another K-Member and by the time you add all that up including oil, oil filter, coolant and any thing else they have to buy due to the motor coming out you will find that the final cost is closer to 10K than you think.

If you buy a APS kit you will spend it sooner or later.

Quick Reply: Aps TT HELP