Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

GT55 Turbo & Cooling Issues!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 11:48 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Turbo blanket will make a big difference. Right now I bet it gets so hot you can't touch any of the engine compartment sheetmetal after a pass.
Have not made a pass yet but, just from driving down the highway with it I worried about my hood paint warping.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:26 PM
9 Second Club

Default More Pictures

Welded the brackets on the radiator and got it mounted up. I also spaced the intercooler roughly two inches from the radiator:

I ended up with more clearance for the fans:

Shot from the bottom, electric pump has plenty of clearance for fittings and hose:
Old 09-17-2011, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by madmax4499
I think your problem is "no thermostat." you need one to slow the water down, with the water circulating full time it has no time to pull the heat out.
this.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Air dam is neccesary for street driving. Even with the nose cut out.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Air dam is neccesary for street driving. Even with the nose cut out.
i drove mine for two years with no airdam. the fans would just run non-stop
Old 09-17-2011, 03:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by forgedlt4
this.
wrong. tripleblackls1 nailed it. the ls1 is a dual circuit design, you can pump all around the pump > rad > and back but if you never incorporate the block and heads what cooling will it do? very little.

someone used to have a pic of the inside of the thermostat housing and what needs to be welded closed.

basically, the thermostat has two discs, when the coolant is closed, the thermostat is in a position where the coolant stays in the block and heads in order to heat up quickly. but when it gets hot it forces the flow to go through the entire system.

without the thermostat there is nothing to direct this flow through the block and heads. YES it naturally does flow through both circuits , but it leads to overheating as is the case of this thread..
Old 09-17-2011, 03:18 PM
11 Second Club

i drove mine for two years with no airdam. the fans would just run non-stop
so lets put an electrical load than can be measured on a dyno on the car vs. a natural solution?
Old 09-17-2011, 03:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by I_Need_Land
so lets put an electrical load than can be measured on a dyno on the car vs. a natural solution?
i never drove the car very far, and i EXPLAINED the the fans ran the entire time. i never said it was a solution.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Consider shrinking down that intercooler to a regular 3" with big ports or oval ports and put meth on it. You will make more power any way you slice it with a manifold temp below 50 degrees regardless of intercooler size. That will help a **** load with overheating. Pure air flow over the radiator. An electric waterpump would be nice too.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think your problem is "no thermostat." you need one to slow the water down, with the water circulating full time it has no time to pull the heat out.
ok Mr. math formula! i think we are talking about two different things. however good luck with your formula.

I use that same pump! with the Moroso remote thermostat, seems to be working for me.
this.
madmax im pretty sure you were saying the the water needed to be slowed down, which is incorrect and actually quite the opposite, do you ever wonder why they sell very expensive higher flowing waterpumps?
guys pls do some reading on thermodynamics before posting this crap,
im not trying to start a e-war, we just dont need this old wives tale being spread around the fourms
if you like i could give you a few examples in laymans terms of why you want as much flow as possible
and just a fyi i work with thermodynamics everyday, this is my profession and what i get paid to do
Old 09-18-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

im saying, when the thermostat closes it slows the coolant down in the radiator allowing it to do its job, "pull the heat out of the water" it seems your saying if you run the system wide open at say 40 gpm. it will cool just fine. i would think the temp would just keep rising. im no thermodynamics expert. there has to be a reason most any automotive cooling system has a thermostat. if im wrong feel free to educate me. im just an over paid mechanic with many years of theory and practical experience.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:03 PM

We have built alot of kits for this cars and how the engine compartment is design once you put turbo's setup in there isnt enough room to help cool down the hot side. Just put a turbo blanket on over half the time that will take care of it and if not then wrap all your hotside and problem will be fixed im sure of it.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:13 AM
9 Second Club

I'm pretty confident that once the radiator is installed, turbo blanket, and all my coated hot side is wrapped the issue will be resolved. I will post up my findings good or bad.
All I can say is I gained a ton of room from removing the stock water pump and running block adapter fittings.

Some updated photos of the turbo blanket and wrap. I not really a fan of the wrap look but if it keeps temps down:

Last edited by Z06kern; 09-25-2011 at 10:30 AM.

Quick Reply: GT55 Turbo & Cooling Issues!