Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What i planned on using as restrictor plate

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by killernoodle
The strain is actually less, this is why the motor speeds up. It heats up because there is more motor speed and less cooling air getting to the motor. This won't be a factor in a blower.

If you aren't pumping as much air, you are doing less work.
I will agree to disagree with you on this. Good luck to the original poster.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by killernoodle
The strain is actually less, this is why the motor speeds up. It heats up because there is more motor speed and less cooling air getting to the motor. This won't be a factor in a blower.

If you aren't pumping as much air, you are doing less work.

That's not correct. The blower is going to spin the same speed whether or not the restrictor plate is in. Its rpm is solely based on pulley sizes and the engine rpm. In fact, it'll make it less thermally efficient because the blower is working harder to pull the air in. Less restriction = more power. Will it make a big difference? No. I think it'll work just fine but it does look a bit small. I would just add methanol as a safety buffer as well. What is your target boost pressure?
Old 09-16-2011, 07:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blue00ZZleeper
That's not correct. The blower is going to spin the same speed whether or not the restrictor plate is in. Its rpm is solely based on pulley sizes and the engine rpm. In fact, it'll make it less thermally efficient because the blower is working harder to pull the air in. Less restriction = more power. Will it make a big difference? No. I think it'll work just fine but it does look a bit small. I would just add methanol as a safety buffer as well. What is your target boost pressure?
we are not talking about speed but strain. And if pulling a vacum increaseds the load on the blower, how come the motor speed of a vacume cleaner increase when you hold you hand on the end?.... because the motor is acutally doing LESS work than when it is moving the air. Less stress means less load in the gears and the belt.

Also this fits in with the rules of physics. to use energy you must be DOING sdomething. if there is no air to move then how can you be using more power?

Chris.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It really depends on when the compressor stalls. On a PD blower you would be working the blower because its gonna push air no matter what. On a centri, it will stall. You will load the compressor to a point it will eventually stall. At what amount of back pressure on the compressor outlet that happens is anybody's guess.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by raven154
It really depends on when the compressor stalls. On a PD blower you would be working the blower because its gonna push air no matter what. On a centri, it will stall. You will load the compressor to a point it will eventually stall. At what amount of back pressure on the compressor outlet that happens is anybody's guess.
but we are talking about the low presure side of the blowers, not the high presure side.....
Old 09-16-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh okay I follow now. I was thinking the wrong direction. Not sure what would happen on the inlet side. I don't think it will hurt anything. It may cause the compressor to work a little harder but with the biggest pulley on there I can tell you that once the engine gets built and you crank up that F1A, the blower will be under a lot more stress then it will ever be under now.

Quick Reply: What i planned on using as restrictor plate