Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FI-98X....question

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 06:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by venom ws7
Sorry I just said Fireball & Josh because I know they tested turbos from 70mm all the way to 106mm
nah...I've only owned 3 turbos in my whole life (at least for the race car).

Started with an 88mm, never even fired it up...changed to a 98x, ran pretty decent and now the PT106
Old 09-22-2011, 06:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS6427
I've been reading about heads.....tons of them to choose from...........obviously gonna use a 6 bolt head. I know I don't need to concern myself with the best flow rates with FI......

Is there a favorite that people have good results with at the power levels I'm looking at making???

Was thinking about using the relatively cheap Hogan sheet metal intake.

I've only used ETP (now MAST) heads with pretty good results

Only used box-stock vic jr and super vic as well...
Old 09-22-2011, 06:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS6427
I was wondering if the LSX iron block would remain plenty strong (wall thickness and gasket coverage) if I went 4.1 bore x 4 stroke = 422ci

These are things I'm looking into.........

Yes..
Old 09-22-2011, 06:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
Does anyone know what the FI-x turbo's are based off of? What wheels, housings, garrett, bw or what is it? I can't wait to see this big single setup with a/c
pretty sure its BW based. My 98x was a loud SOB too...you could hear that bi%ch spool up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TTQgqiDMC0
Old 09-22-2011, 08:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by djfury05
I sent Fraser an PM about a month ago.. still no reply.. meh
Email is the best way to get in touch with him. Use the message tool on their website. He never took more than a day to get back to me when I was having mine built.

To OP: For a street car I'm with shawn. Go with as many cubes as you can afford and your engine builder can make reliable. That means less stress on the engine to make your power goal which is great for a street car. It will last longer.

What fuel are you going to run? Buying race gas for a street car all the time is a pain and 1300whp on pump, while doable, is going to be risky. That leaves E-85.

Honestly it sounds like you want twins. I didn't see you say why you are limited to a single in the first post. Faster spool and equal power... If you are trying to save money by going with a single go ahead and throw that idea out. Yeah you will save some money but it is a fraction of what a reliable 1300whp build will cost. Build it how you want it now or you will be shaking your head later over what it would cost to re-do the system.

If there is some reason you are stuck on a single, fine. If not, definitely consider the idea of twins. That is coming from someone planning to run a "big" (is an 88mm even a big single anymore? Lol) single.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by djfury05
I sent Fraser an PM about a month ago.. still no reply.. meh
Email is the best way to get in touch with him. Use the message tool on their website. He never took more than a day to get back to me when I was having mine built.

To OP: For a street car I'm with shawn. Go with as many cubes as you can afford and your engine builder can make reliable. That means less stress on the engine to make your power goal which is great for a street car. It will last longer.

What fuel are you going to run? Buying race gas for a street car all the time is a pain and 1300whp on pump, while doable, is going to be risky. That leaves E-85.

Honestly it sounds like you want twins. I didn't see you say why you are limited to a single in the first post. Faster spool and equal power... If you are trying to save money by going with a single go ahead and throw that idea out. Yeah you will save some money but it is a fraction of what a reliable 1300whp build will cost. Build it how you want it now or you will be shaking your head later over what it would cost to re-do the system.

If there is some reason you are stuck on a single, fine. If not, definitely consider the idea of twins. That is coming from someone planning to run a "big" (is an 88mm even a big single anymore? Lol) single.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FIX98 is based off a BW S500 I think.

Definately bw based though as fireball said.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fireball
nah...I've only owned 3 turbos in my whole life (at least for the race car).

Started with an 88mm, never even fired it up...changed to a 98x, ran pretty decent and now the PT106

That's still good enough for me ..
I freaking loved the LS2 98X setup
Old 09-22-2011, 10:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It opened some eyes that's for sure as far as durability and strength of the ls platform and 4 bolt heads.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
FIX98 is based off a BW S500 I think.

Definately bw based though as fireball said.
Yes the "New S500SX " line of turbos from BW, are the S500's we have been building for about 3-4 years under the FI name. They were not available to the public back then as the S500SX line. They still aren't available with the comp wheel combos we tested and loved. Maybe they will offer then one day, but in the meantime we build them. Also think about the GT55 based billet EZ-94. BEAST of a turbo.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FMX05

Full time race gas.

Why will twins be better? Elimination of turbo lag????

I'm not stuck on a single......just thought it would be easier to keep A/C....which is a must.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:35 PM
FormerVendor

Didnt read the whole thread but i have "Fireballs" old 98x on my car...its a 366 with afr 205 out of the bos heads and a stock ls6 intake, 10.3:1...on the brake i have it spoold in about 6 second to 6-8 pounds starting at idle after a burnout
this was without a 2 step, and theres more left in the tune to speed it up, along with a cam not designed very well for this combo. For you to make that kind of power on the street its going to be hard not to lose a bunch on the hit from a roll, you need to start thinking nitrous.
Ive driven aps tt vettes, single turbo cars, and some fast nitrous cars, and if you get a decent nitrous car that can put the power down they can easily win the race in the first 2 second if your not spoold. Even a 100 shot will make a world differance
Old 09-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ProTreeRacing
Didnt read the whole thread but i have "Fireballs" old 98x on my car...its a 366 with afr 205 out of the bos heads and a stock ls6 intake, 10.3:1...on the brake i have it spoold in about 6 second to 6-8 pounds starting at idle after a burnout
this was without a 2 step, and theres more left in the tune to speed it up, along with a cam not designed very well for this combo. For you to make that kind of power on the street its going to be hard not to lose a bunch on the hit from a roll, you need to start thinking nitrous.
Ive driven aps tt vettes, single turbo cars, and some fast nitrous cars, and if you get a decent nitrous car that can put the power down they can easily win the race in the first 2 second if your not spoold. Even a 100 shot will make a world differance
use you brakes to load the engine problem solved
Old 09-24-2011, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FMX05

My names Mike but it's ok
Old 09-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Banned

I hear ya, I've been in some pretty crazy nitrous cars. But I'd have to have a 700 RWHP + 600 HP shot to compete with allot of the crazy *** cars around here. Engine will have to rebuilt every 6 months, or less, and there's no way an LSx type block can handle it anyway. I'd have to go to 900-1000 HP BBC + 300 shot, stuffed into my F-Body.

Last edited by LS6427; 09-24-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:01 AM
FormerVendor

No i meant nitrous to spool it, like 150 shot on a hobbs switch to turn off at say 10lb's. That could cut down a second or more of spool time, and yes brakes will help but its not always that easy in a auto car and its hard on parts.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:12 AM
10 Second Club

id do a 410 + twin 78s
Old 09-25-2011, 02:59 PM
Banned

No i meant nitrous to spool it, like 150 shot on a hobbs switch to turn off at say 10lb's. That could cut down a second or more of spool time, and yes brakes will help but its not always that easy in a auto car and its hard on parts.
Last night someone told me while I was out that thats what you probably meant. My friend was agreeing maybe a 100 shot would be a great addition.

I was gonna ask what the limits are to how large of a shot you can out on top of a turbo set-up like I want to do. Or maybe its not being large that matters, its just getting it spooled that matters.............

Old 09-25-2011, 03:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rickys S/C Z28
id do a 410 + twin 78s
NRE makes 1,600 HP with a 402ci LSX iron and twin 72mm............

So I guess with twin 78mm that can be done or better.....But can I keep A/C with a TWIN 78mm kit.......is there room?

Old 09-25-2011, 06:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think there is more room for a/c with a small tiwn setup than there is with a big single.

Quick Reply: FI-98X....question