Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Interesting observation on non intercooled ATI

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been checking out the snow performance alky kit for sometime now, but been hesistant to buy. What stage do you have? I want the stage 2. Is it easy to install? Did they ask you what HP/boost level you were running? Have you tried that booster they sell that gains you more hp?
So having it engaged when boost comes on kills the part throttle KR. I am seeing a lot of that,
Sorry for all the questions but I want to learn a bit more about this kit,
Jeremy
Old 03-09-2004, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running a derekdevises.com meth/water kit on my talon, and it works beautifully. It's controlled by the AEM EMS on my car, although you can get a controller to run it on a non-AEM car, and you can't even tell when the alky starts spraying. I run 75/25 meth/distilled water, 8:1 compression, and I boost 26 pounds on 93 octane without a drop of knock, IAT's @ 26 psi are typically around 100 degrees on a 0-130 pull on drag radials (a guesstimation of a 1/4 mile) with 60 degree ambient temps. Meth
Old 03-09-2004, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

J- I built my own kit.
Just recently added the controller because with the higher boost I will be running now I needed to crank up the flow and I didn't want all that flow bogging me down in part throttle / low boost situations.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I may have some KR sensor issues . Even with full 15GPH flow at low rpms and part throttle it still is showing tons of KR.
Funny, full flow does not bog down the car at all even at 4000rpm and 4 psi at 50% throttle!
Anyhow did a few wot bursts just to test and then pulled all the plugs. Not a hint of detonation or over heating.
But to be safe I'll remove the blower belt and see what happens with the KR.
If it's still there I'll have to make some programming changes to the sensor output.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I get a little false knock on mine.

I will be just crusing down the road at 65mph and out of no where, boink! 2 degrees of KR registers.

I think all of us 98 folks got a bum deal with our knock sensors.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had them programmed differently last year and never saw any part throttle KR.
I put the table back to stock but raised the max retard they can pull out from 4 to 7.
I think it's just false KR. As I think back to my NA days years ago before ls1edit, I was one of the first guys to run a external resistor circuit to stop the KR back in 98.
Sometimes I just forget all I have learned and end up chasing old problems once again.
But I'll know for sure later when I drive it without the blower belt on.
Unless the blower itself is making some sort of noise that triggers them off.
After all it's bolted to the head with the noisy straight cut gears clanking away.

Quick Reply: Interesting observation on non intercooled ATI