Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Attention all stock shortblock players!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attention all stock shortblock players!

First off, can a moderator please PM me the info on becoming a sponsor. Thanks

There has obviously been an explosion of interest and popularity with pushing the stock shortblock to its max. Perhaps its a combination of the spirit of competition, the pushing of limits previously thought impossible or even the fact that the drive to race pushes people to seek speed on a tighter budget in these tough economic times. We have built and ran our combination now for almost 2 years (nitrous turbo s10), we have 3 more being built and gunning for the record in this area alone.

There are quiet a few stock shortblock cars running for records all around this country. Many more than people realize. Some are just having fun not aware of any record at all. Its time to bring them all together and see what can actually be accomplished with these amazing motors.

$3000 cash total payout... first annual Stock Shortblock Shootout.

Rules are short and sweet... Must be a stock shortblock motor with factory casting heads. 4.8, 5.3, 6.0, 6.2 ect. ANY power adder allowed in any combination. Head studs, rodbolts any intake and cam allowed. NO weight limit for the chassis. Any suspension allowed, any transmission allowed. Any fuel injection system or even carburator allowed. HOWEVER! it has to be a door car, (no crazy people with a go cart or rail job LOL) has to be on true 10.5 slicks (or any size radial) and NO wheelie bars.

The race is quarter mile, heads up. Overall winner gets $2000 cash. Second place gets $500. The FASTEST pass in a factory equipped LS car (camaro, firebird, GTO, vette, truck) gets $500. If the winner is a factory equipped LS car... he gets $2500.

(the winner, second place and the fastest factory ls1 car must pull a sparkplug and drain the oil at the end of the race. A colorscreen fiberoptic camera will be fed thru the sparkplug hole and into the oilpan to confirm the motor is legal) The total check takes 5 mins.

The race is being tentitively held at Alabama international dragway, In Steele Alabama in April. $20 at the gate for spectators, $40 if you have a car. You have all winter to throw a combination togther. How far will it fall??? I predict 8.50's

PM for any details, Moderators Pm me sponsorship info please asap.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

Any more companys want to get in on the deal and become sponsors for the race. The payout may be even bigger
Old 09-26-2011, 11:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow that's awesome, too bad I won't have a stock shortblock in April of next year as it's getting forged this winter. Oh well, maybe I can have my 4.8/SX400 71/87/TH400 combo going by then in my S-10.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:18 AM
10 Second Club

**** yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
Old 09-26-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

???? Why 10.5's. Is that what you have? Why not put it in the the tip of Florida? At least it would be a terrible drive across 3/4 of the us instead of 2/3 of the us. Put it central like gateway!

It looks like stacking the cards in your favor. If you can knock guys cars out of
The race you can win easily?
Old 09-26-2011, 11:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by js2fst
???? Why 10.5's. Is that what you have? Why not put it in the the tip of Florida? At least it would be a terrible drive across 3/4 of the us instead of 2/3 of the us. Put it central like gateway!
So it's a 10 minute drive for you? lol
Old 09-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Teching In

**** i wish i didnt live in cali. Id love to get in on this. My car will be perfect for it.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now that's bad *** and would get A LOT of attention
Old 09-26-2011, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

No 4.5 hours but it is still a lot closer for west coast guys or you afraid of the end of the country. What about Michigan, California, Arizona, new York. At least make off in the corner of the us. I don't plan on going anyways. But this sounds gay and thought out to be geared to someone!
Old 09-26-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would be interested in participating if enough people will show up, but I have a couple of suggestions.

1. mandate everyone has an engine diaper. as fast as these motors are going we should all have diapers anyway, but some people are going to be pushing these motors farther than they should really go so there will definitely be some blowups. you dont want 1 hour breaks every pass because people are oiling down the track.

2. if this is a stock shortblock record it needs to have stock rodbolts. period end of story.

3. Since this is a stock short block deal, then one should be able to have any heads they want on there. unless you are going for a stockISH long block deal then you'll have to allow aftermarket heads.

4. I also propose a one engine per car limit. ie you blow up your first motor you are out of the competition. I can see some people bringing in 3 or 4 engines and just running them

Last edited by 71 chevy; 09-26-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

Im trying to not gear it towards anyone... you could run 33x10.5's if you wanted Hell run W's! Run an outlaw 10.5 tire. Cars have been deep in the 6's in the 1/4 on true 10.5's and even radials.

I think its realistic to say it would be nice if its in the "Spirit of Competition" for a anyone building a streetcar. We do not need a Bickel chassis with a titanium backhalf that weighs 2100lbs show up. (trust me I have a couple of friends and customers with those chassis's sitting around)

I dont want to leave anyone out. But I want it in the spirit of a resembleance of a streetcar. No weight, no power adder rules, no suspension rules, just a tire and wheelie bar rule so its fairly budget and fun.

We have never stretched nor run 1/4 mile. But I want the record to be 1/4 mile

Steele is a GREAT track. Its 3 hrs from me and I have a good working relationship with the owner. Large pit area, its just been laser ground and they have some of the best track prep equipment in the country (Alanabi who headquarters R&D in Tuscaloosa use it as a test track for all there Promods) I want a DAMN good track surface, I want records to fall. period

I Love the LS series motors... I am a S.A.M. Graduate from 2004, been running a professional shop sense (albeit one geared for Outlaw and stock suspension racing) Know many in the LS industry on a friendship level. I want this race to happen, and frankly due to the slowing of dragracing as an industry due to wildly escalating costs to be competitive. It NEEDS to be known you can haul *** with a $500 engine program. I love racing and this needs to grow
Old 09-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Engine diapers are a great idea. They can be had at a relatively low cost as well. Rodbolts are a grey area but also a safety factor when trying not to shoot the rods thru the oilpan at 150mph. They can be installed very simply and require no extra balancing or machining.

I understand the argument with the aftermarket heads TFS, AFR's ect.

This race needs to be fair to everyone so im very open to suggestion. Lets hear it!
Old 09-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

The race is in April (7 months away) for a reason... to allow rules to be set, to allow sceduals to be set and to allow combinations to be built and tested.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

this is a great idea!! i think heads shd be allowed too. i just wish i had a car and motor so i could come and play. if its in StL or KC, i'll be there watching for sure though!!
Old 09-26-2011, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I propose stock shortblock with STOCK HEADS. the spirit being that anyone can take a stock gm motor, put a power adder on it and a cam and go fast.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hopefully my car will be finished up by then!
Old 09-26-2011, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One other question about rules as you have them....would stock replacement pistons (cast or hyper) be allowed. I know my personal 5.3 block it going to need to be taken 10 or 20 over and I plan to just get a rebuild kit that includes pistons. Not that I will be a huge contender, lol.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Teching In

too bad its not on the west coast!
Old 09-26-2011, 03:26 PM
TECH Veteran

subscribed...
Old 09-26-2011, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be there, Steele is a great track. Luckily I'm only 3 hours away.

If you make a new thread, PLEASE post the link in this thread!!!

Quick Reply: Attention all stock shortblock players!