Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbo leaking oil externally. not feed or retun. ????

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default turbo leaking oil externally. not feed or retun. ????

hey guys, im trying to diagnose an oil leak. my turbo sits pretty high, the compressor housing sits higher than the top of the radiator... and my drain is a -10 with a -4 feed line. It comes straight out, and wiggles a bit through the k member, going to a 90 degree into the pan, ABOVE THE OIL LEVEL. my last turbo setup never had a problem, but when i get into it hard, it smokes really bad on decel. And i mean like a huge cloud of blue smoke that stays in the street!

The turbo is wet, and there is oil dripping off of the center housing v-bands. oil looks like its dripping from the drain flange as well, but the flange is o-ringed AND i put black silicon on it and made sure the bolts are tight. the feed line is completely dry. The oil looks very black, as if it is getting burned. Any ideas??
Old 10-03-2011, 08:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
hey guys, im trying to diagnose an oil leak. my turbo sits pretty high, the compressor housing sits higher than the top of the radiator... and my drain is a -10 with a -4 feed line. It comes straight out, and wiggles a bit through the k member, going to a 90 degree into the pan, ABOVE THE OIL LEVEL. my last turbo setup never had a problem, but when i get into it hard, it smokes really bad on decel. And i mean like a huge cloud of blue smoke that stays in the street!

The turbo is wet, and there is oil dripping off of the center housing v-bands. oil looks like its dripping from the drain flange as well, but the flange is o-ringed AND i put black silicon on it and made sure the bolts are tight. the feed line is completely dry. The oil looks very black, as if it is getting burned. Any ideas??
Its definitely sounding like its backing up into the the CHRA. Get rid of that 90 deg fitting into the pan, 90's are a BIG no-no in a turbo drain setup.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah, i know thats not ideal, but it never leaked like this on my last setup. You mentioned in another thread that it could be caused by too small of a filter?? i do have a small 7" K&N on it...

Quick Reply: turbo leaking oil externally. not feed or retun. ????