Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo set up Idea?(just a thought)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 12:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo set up Idea?(just a thought)

So idk if this is going to come off as stupid but it really doesnt bother me to ask people who have more knowledge on the subject..
ok, so twin turbos are clearly produce more power than a single turbo and are usually set up as two individual turbos that spool individually or one smaller turbo spolling a larger turbo to react quicker and with more boost, well idk if this has ever been done before but i have been thinking about it...would it be possible to have a rear mount turbo set-up (sts for example) then have a following front mounted turbo running off of the intercooler pipe of the rear mount turbo? of course run a seperate oil supply line,pump, hoses ect... Having the front turbo before the intercooler piping would still be imputed by hot air from the rear turbo and then having the front turbo run thro the intercooler to the intake? has it been done? is it possible? only problem i would see is if the front turbo didnt get enough heat or how much power this would actually make? idk just a thought let me know your imput on the idea, but just a thought i been thinking over and it was bothering me so i figured i would ask.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:35 AM
Launching!

compound turbo ,but rearmount ? rear turbo blowing into the bigger turbo in the front ,,kinda defeats the purpose of the compound turbo setup ,,supposed to spool quicker with the smaller turbo ,to supply a bigger turbo to virtually eliminate the huge lag of a big turbo,, 1st turbo being in the rear would create more lagg.. or do i have this wrong
Old 10-07-2011, 01:41 AM

Wouldn't running a big turbo and divided turbine housing with a quick spool be a better option? You'd save a tonne on costs and get pretty much the same result wouldn't you?
Old 10-07-2011, 01:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

In a nut shell, TT doesn't make more power than a single. flow is flow. its just easier for example to fit two gt35r's under the hood than a single 116mm turbo. the small and big turbo idea is called compound turbo charging and is sweet. its old school in the fact that diesel guy have ran it for a while. look at sound performance supras, they are trying it. It is really hard to do the math and properly size turbos to be efficient. but its really efficient when it works right. imagine a 116mm turbo power that spools like a gt35r on our cars..
Old 10-07-2011, 01:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

would be expensive and bulky but u could run a compound setup w rear mount. have a tiny turbo up from and a biggin out back.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Would prolly be more economical to run single front mount
Old 10-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Launching!

Im gonna be trying a compound "mid mount" turbo setup on the 32v navi. Lightning im working on so ill let you know how it works
Old 10-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

like i said just an idea i know its not very"logical" and yea should be a smaller turbo upfront but just wondering like i said

Quick Reply: Turbo set up Idea?(just a thought)