Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS1 68 Camaro... Turbo? MAF? Fuel Pumps?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 68 Camaro... Turbo? MAF? Fuel Pumps?

1st I'd like to thank everyone on the forum for all the great infomation! Even though I don't own a newer F-Body I still like to think I'm in the LS family and get lots of good info from here. I've spent hours going through this FI forum and I'm sure hundreds of posts in the past few weeks. Through all my searching I have not been able to answer some more basic questions so I thought I'd just post them up and see what everyone else thinks.....

My setup is simple at the moment, soon to change!
68 Camaro
9" rear w/ 4:11's and 4-link
LS1 from a 02 F-Body (LS6 block & intake)
stock T-56
Max tire size is 275 (currently 18" 275/40's)

The motor has been running strong for almost 3 years as is. This year the car got stripped and is now in the paint dungen getting reworked and freshend up. With the body update I'd like to do a little update under the hood as well. I'm planing on trying a turbo upgrade using the C6/truck manifolds and keeping the A/C. The goal of the build is 500rwhp keeping the stock bottom end and this won't be a strip car. The car will be street driven a lot, almost a daily driver. It's not a show car so reliability and driveability are top priorities. From all my hours of reading most of you guys say that 500hp is easily done on the stock bottom end so the plan is to freshen up the bottom end that currently has 75K miles on it with new rings/bearings and adding the following:
317 heads w/ upgraded pushrods and springs
60lb injectors
FPR
boost controller
ls6 oil pump
ls7 lifters

I have three questions for the forum:

From reading around here the T68 is the smaller size turbo for the LS's is this a good match for my plans or should I jump a size?

I don't really want to run a SD tune because of the amount of driving it'll get. Do you normally pipe the MAF before or after the turbo for tuning?

Lastly, Knowing I'll have to upgrade the in-tank fuel pump do you think one (bosch 040) will be enough or should I plan on two from the get-go?

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the great info up to this point!
Old 11-14-2011, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put the MAF in the middle of a straight tube post turbo.

A Bosch 044 pump will safely do 500 whp. Run two if you plan on making much more power than that. Beware of fake Chinese ones for sale on Ebay.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the MAF info and I was figuring the Bosch would be enough but I know this is the place to find the experts that have already tried things once or twice!

Quick Reply: LS1 68 Camaro... Turbo? MAF? Fuel Pumps?