Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Positive displacement superchargers.. where are they?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Positive displacement superchargers.. where are they?

So i've been searching around for a day or two, trying to find a thread talking about putting a positive displacement blower on a fbody. I think I've seen two photos, one of a magnacharger, and one of a supposed whipple. Are there any out there that will fit under a stock WS6 hood?

I know everyone loves turbos and prochargers etc, I've always wanted a pd blower though, so I thought I'd inquire.

Thanks

C.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Launching!

Root blowers=heat pump
Old 12-06-2011, 10:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 6.0mustang
Root blowers=heat pump
X-torque machine... yeah the 03 Cobra was fun @ 16lbs for a street car...
Old 12-06-2011, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

I understand they aren't the greatest power adder and have more than a few draw backs. I'm just looking for a thread or someone that's stuck one of an fbody, that fits under a stock WS6 hood. Or am I reaching here?

Thanks

C.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:30 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlisle
I understand they aren't the greatest power adder and have more than a few draw backs. I'm just looking for a thread or someone that's stuck one of an fbody, that fits under a stock WS6 hood. Or am I reaching here?

Thanks

C.
The only one that I have ever seen installed was a MP112, which isn't really big enough to efficiently feed a stock cube ls1. In order to get decent boost out of it, you have to spin it pretty quickly, which in turn makes it a heat pump. So the design alone is a negative.

Now, in order for it to fit, you have to drop the k-member an inch, AND notch out the cowl area, and then there is the issue of getting an intake tract setup.

As far as I know, there isn't anyone making a 'kit' anymore to do that setup since it never sold well. You may be able to find one of the few people who did do the install selling theirs.

Just beware that the setup maxes out at roughly ~525-530 rwhp. It might sound like a great number, but not after spending as much as a Procharger costs, which is an $85 pulley away from making more power.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
The only one that I have ever seen installed was a MP112, which isn't really big enough to efficiently feed a stock cube ls1. In order to get decent boost out of it, you have to spin it pretty quickly, which in turn makes it a heat pump. So the design alone is a negative.

Now, in order for it to fit, you have to drop the k-member an inch, AND notch out the cowl area, and then there is the issue of getting an intake tract setup.

As far as I know, there isn't anyone making a 'kit' anymore to do that setup since it never sold well. You may be able to find one of the few people who did do the install selling theirs.

Just beware that the setup maxes out at roughly ~525-530 rwhp. It might sound like a great number, but not after spending as much as a Procharger costs, which is an $85 pulley away from making more power.
Ouch, I'm not looking to cut up my hood . Found a video on youtube of a guy that had a magnacharger installed, looked and sounded great, but like you said, 518 RWHP and 526 RWTQ. That's with cam and full bolt on's/cutouts. Guess I'll have to strap one on my third gen instead, and go with something else in the T/A. (Building a 408 for boost, just haven't quite decided on how I want the boost )
Thanks for the info!
C.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was on the same boat, but couldnt justify $5k+ to get 550rwhp and be maxxed out. There are n/a 408 engines aking close to that. Go with a D1 procharger setup/aster bracket and you can make 800hp for the same cost. The forged 408 can handle it easy.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 188 Likes on 113 Posts

A front drive/front inlet TVS2300 might fit better. Power ceiling is a lot higher too. I dynoed my vette with TVS last week. 642 at the wheels. LS3 with very mild blower cam, bolt ons, and 9psi. It's been running strong for over 2.5 years now. Still on the original serp belt.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

your welcome

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/ma...rgerkit-1.aspx
Old 12-07-2011, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Roots blowers

People don't run positive displacement blowers on these cars for several reasons. One being poor return on investment. To take it a step further, a lot of people don't run superchargers because, again, the initiation fee is very high and there are low cost turbo alternatives available that make the same or better power.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:54 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
That page alone should steer him clear. For $6000, they made 480rwhp at 8psi. I put together my D1 procharger, with an Aster's bracket, front mount intercooler for less than $4000 and have the ability to make upwards of 20lbs of boost if I build for it.

Trust me, I have more instant torque than I could ever use.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Hey thanks guys, ya the PD blower idea is out the window now. If I'm going through the trouble of building a 408 for boost, 480rwhp is ridiculous. I could get that and more going n/a for a lot cheaper. So, I'm on to other ideas. I like the idea of a D1 procharger but still keeping my options open.
Thanks again!
C.

Quick Reply: Positive displacement superchargers.. where are they?