Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

MAF or no MAF on turbo street car

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 04:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would a maf tune offer better driveability? SD is just as good if not a bit better in that respect. It's not as if a MAF sensor has zero error.

In my opinion, SD is the correct way to do it.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:37 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ever try running a cam with a lot of overlap and a maf? Ya driveability isn't that great or not as good as SD can be. MAF may offer more consistant part throttle day to day AFR but as soon as you step into it you're relying on power enrichment fuel which has no compensation for boost level changes. With a proper SD tune (calibraedted IAT tables) you will have great driveability and be able to raise or lower your boost. MAF= one set boost level unless you retune. Hope you guys realize you can run open loop SD or closed loop SD. Closed loop SD combined with a cam that has minimal overlap is hard to beat.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skiprush71
This being my first post and after seeing alot of pictures I am confused. I picked up a 5.3 that is missing the ECU, MAF but otherwise complete. I am deabating on the twin or single turbo road but have been searching about the MAF sensor. I see some people changinf to speed density other keep the MAf. Since I dont have one should I buy one (which one) or should I go the SD path? I guess at this point since I have no ECU I could do either but I want to make sure the street manners are good. thanks for any input on this and this is a great site.
the only reason to keep the maf is if you are staying under 512 g/s of airflow.
otherwise chunk it. At +300 feet from sea level this equates to ~8psi and ~60LB/min

it sounds to me you are building a 600hp or there abouts car...chunk the MAF.
you will outflow it by quite a bit.

Quick Reply: MAF or no MAF on turbo street car