Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

few questions about a low boost turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default few questions about a low boost turbo setup

I over a few months period will be fabricating my own rear mount turbo.

Question #1 if im doing low boost like only 5-6 psi. are aftermarket injectors required?

Question #2 would a intercooler or meth be required since its a rear setup and for such low boost.

Question #3 would this work with my stock maf? or is this beyond its capabilities or reading the air? (could be a dumb question) i dunno lol.

i just decided i know how to weld. i have lots of tools and metal cutting saws that i can use for cutting pipe. so i think this will be a good learning project for myself. and i think i can save a great amount of money doing it all myslef.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

answer to question 1, yes. the stock fuel injectors will max out. grab some 42# or around that range and you will be fine. the stock fuel pump maxes out at 48LB/hr..let that be known

low boost..well that depends. yes and no. you can always use lower temps and after several hard pulls i don't care if you are running 3 psi it will be a lot warmer than before. either meth (Recommend alky control) or intercooler.

question 3 .. yes it will work fine with your stock maf. on a stock ls1 with a 60mm turbo with ~60lb/min airflow you will be fine. however, with a 67mm turbo you will likely peak the maf out, but the car will use other fueling tables...you just have to make sure you have that set right for your PE mode.

good luck. if you can find a aluminum pipe vendor, that saves a lot of work,especially if you can get some pre-bent pieces.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cool thanks for the info! i mean the most advanced thing ive ever done is headers for my 2001 trans am lol. so this is a brave new world im attempting. why i gave myself a huge timeline. to get measurements, buy the small things and fab the piping which will be the biggest headache. i know summit sales aluminum piping i think. with u bends and j bends. so i can cut those and pretty much create any angle i need. though another weird question..

Why isnt like just High grade Aramid Silicon tubing used from the turbo back to the intake. is it an issue of not being able to widthstand the pressure? i was just trying to think outside the box. and thought man if silicon tubing could be used like a 2.5" or 3" it would make fabbing alot easier sense it would have some flexibility. im sure there is an obvious and good reason why noone does lol.. im guessing maybe Price could be the issue?

Last edited by GXPPOWER; 12-20-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 126 Likes on 100 Posts

soooooooo... hows the build coming lol you got it up and running?

Quick Reply: few questions about a low boost turbo setup