Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Who thinks this will work (for positive venting of crankcase)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who thinks this will work (for positive venting of crankcase)

I致e been playing around with the PCV/crankcase evacuation problem for quite some time and I知 about to try something new. I just wanted to see what you guys thought of this solution.

I知 currently just running a catch can and a vent, since all of my other efforts just resulted in intake/oil contamination. The only major problem with the venting method is a nasty stink in the engine compartment that sometimes makes its way into the car when the windows are rolled down. There is also nothing to help the already loose rings seal (the motor has stock pistons and rings right now)

I decided that I really wanted something to get this stuff going out the exhaust.

You have all probably seen the header based ventilation system http://store.summitracing.com/partde...art=MRG%2D6002

I致e heard these will not work on a car with a full exhaust (due to backpressure), so I decided to try it with the venturi tubes welded in back behind my mufflers. I did a little research and determine they would work best near a bend where there would already be a natural low pressure spot. It turns out there was a perfect mounting location in my borla catback (on a c5) so I welded them in this weekend.

I did some real simple tests with a leaf blower (of all things) hooked up and it pulled a pretty nice little vacuum. It was a very unrealistic test, but it did show that a vacuum is present. I値l do more tests when I get the heads back on the car later this week.

I知 also waiting on some parts to show up so I can merge the two tubes together and run some aluminum tubing up to my catch can with a very low resistance check valve.

Just curious if anyone thinks this will work. I知 not looking to pull a major vacuum on the crankcase, but just a decent positive flow would be good with me.

No big loss if it does not work, I just figure it is worth a try.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:59 PM

Quick,
I have consulted many on this, I have been left with the following solutions. I have the little filter from the PCV to the intake. I am going to just cap the intake completely and then put a breather on the PCV. I already have a breather on the Passenger side valve cover...and yes it smells like oil vapor..all the time...but I just pulled my heads and I don't want that **** on top of my pistons anymore.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Be carefull, if you get to much oil or smoke out your exhaust track officals might kick you off the track. Other then that I don`t see why it wouldn`t work. I don`t have a problem with fumes in my car but i have my vent hose running to the underside of the car so it can`t spray oil on my nice clean engine.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

It works I have one on the pass. valve cover!
Old 03-15-2004, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Shinobi'sZ, I agree 100%. There is just nothing better than getting that dam PCV crud out of the intake stream. My car started running like a bat out of hell after I took it off. I would seriously guess a 50+hp increase after tuning. The thing practically won't knock at all anymore.

MYTURBOT/A,
I plan to still have it go through a catch can so there should not be any oil (besides vapor) going out the exhaust.

2FAST4U,
How is yours setup. Do you have a full exhaust?

I will post back with more info after I get it all hooked up in tested (probably another week before it is all setup). I'm going to put my extra (data logged) map sensor on the catch can and see what it reads under different conditions.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interesting idea.
not sure it would work for me as i switch from cutout to full exhasut

someday, someday ill try that belt driven vacuum pump

Quick Reply: Who thinks this will work (for positive venting of crankcase)