Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need To Buy Forged Shortblock - Who Would You Suggest?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been researching this subject for quite a while. Up until recently I was planning out a C5R, but I think I found a cheaper stronger alternative. Plus I get to keep my stock firehawk block. Talk to Steve, not only is he a sponsor, but he will spell everything out for you in a language you can understand.

http://www.raceenginedevelopment.com...4927/index.htm

Mike
Old 03-16-2004, 02:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry to say. " ARE " No no no...

PM me if you want details why.

Clint
Old 03-16-2004, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dug,

When you blew up the old motor, did you hurt the TT kit? What/where as the failure (if you don't mind telling). I am assuming that you are gonna stick that Incon kit back on there? If not....I am sure it would sell rather quickly!!

Mir Naziruddin
Old 03-16-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

No damage to the TT kit that I am aware of . . . I am taking my time tearing the motor apart, I've got about an hour left to pull the heads off, should have more info then. I blew the headgasket on the driver's side, and it was making a clanking sound while idleing . . . and I DEFINITELY plan on putting the TT kit back on, I'm pretty happy with it
Old 03-16-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ChevyNo1
No damage to the TT kit that I am aware of . . . I am taking my time tearing the motor apart, I've got about an hour left to pull the heads off, should have more info then. I blew the headgasket on the driver's side, and it was making a clanking sound while idleing . . . and I DEFINITELY plan on putting the TT kit back on, I'm pretty happy with it
If you blew your motor I would be check to see if you got oil in the exhaust manifolds which could get into your compressors. When I blew my motor thats what happened to me no turbos though but I ruined 2 O2 sensors.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:26 PM
WARNING! Bad Seller Alert

I would go with HPE.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks Mad, I'll be sure to check. And thanks to all who have shared their thoughts with me, I certainly appreciate it!!
Old 03-16-2004, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

Wow, I take back my ill advised recommendation of ARE. After a little investigation it appears that there are many unresolved complaints against ARE on the various LS1 message boards. ARE's business and reputation seems to have taken a major hit.

Better call Reher Morrison or Dugan's, shops who have been building SBC engines since the 60s and are now building LS1s. Building motors and running a successful business doing it are two very different things.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Stealth, very true, ARE did take a big hit but here's my take on the situation.

We have a vendor here that is trying to get back on top and working very hard to deal with past issues. I have seen how they are trying to turn things around. They are in this for the long haul.

Here is another angle you guys might like to think about; ARE is a good engine builder that took it in the teeth over customer service issues. The owner of ARE came back on this and other boards and publicly admitted the problem and the pains they were willing to go through to get things back on track. ARE has contacted past customers and is doing everything they can to make things right. Nick posts regularly on this board and answers every post he can, publicly and privately. If I was in the market for an engine knowing how good a job they can do and knowing how far they are willing to go to get their reputaion back, ARE would be a good bet. Follow my logic; right now ARE is under a microscope from the internet community, if Dug sent his motor there they bwould bend over backwards to make him happy, give him a fair price and hope he would post up the success of his new motor.

Since ARE cares about the work they do and their reputation it would serve them well to look after Dug and build him a top quality piece like they usually do. Right now I couldn't think of a safer better place to, send my motor.

Just my $0.02 CDN
Old 03-17-2004, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry Paul, I have to disagree here.

ARE did virtually nothing for the people that got their crappy heads, even after they admitted that the problem was their fault. They wanted people that got an inferior product to PAY $300 more to have the heads 'updated' to the latest port work. All of this was blamed on Nick when he left. Barry and Wade at ARE both told me that on the phone...so customers were left out to dry.

Now we are supposed to believe that because Nick is back things are going to get better. That doesn't really jive with the ARE that I have seen or experienced.

Like I said, I have an ARE motor that will be going in this weekend...but do I expect anything from ARE if something happens to it? No, because I have spoken with them many times on the phone and stopped calling and asking things because they were long on excuses and short on answers.

Dug, seriously...I would stay away from a company that couldn't even afford to sponsor this board for a time. Let someone else gamble on ARE, there are plenty of other sponsors that don't have the negative word of mouth.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:10 AM
TECH Resident

As a practical matter, in view of all the complaints, I don't know why someone would now decide to purchase a new motor from ARE. I know a guy whose has been waiting for almost six months for his ARE motor, and there are many other similar stories.

ARE and other automotive companies and site sponsors should be punished financially for such poor performance.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:33 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stealth
ARE and other automotive companies and site sponsors should be punished financially for such poor performance.
absolutely........but just think of all those people who just read the magazines, and never see forums like this. they will still get business, even if they dont clean up their act. (not just ARE specifically, but any shop that isnt doing the job right.)
Old 03-17-2004, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I my humble opinion, I prefer a local shop. When I had my motor built, I liked to be able to go check on the progress from time to time, actually talk to the mechanics, face-to-face. Spend time in the shop, develop a relationship with the shop owner, etc. etc.
That mail order stuff didn't cut it for me, esp for a $5000 short block.
But thats just me.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

Crunch, I agree . . . but other than the 1 suggestion I had for Tucson, there are no reputable engine builders in AZ . . . which doesn't leave me much choice
Old 03-17-2004, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

ChevyNo1 - There are reputable engine builders in AZ. Call Beck Racing Engines, and can Dugan's in SC.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Stealth . . . according to their website they are in NV . . . still not close driving distance to check stuff out.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ARE Do they want business or what. Called for pricing on forged pistons and rods, 2 days ago. Left a message. Not one call back yet! Not to mention we have almost waited 6 months for our motors. Man ARE is really dropping the ball here..

Clint
Old 03-18-2004, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

Hugger, take ARE off your Rolodex and call MTI, LPE, Reher Morrison, etc, etc ,etc
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Engine Component listing.doc (36.5 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by stealth; 03-18-2004 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Already have.. Steve, whom would you suggest for a good package on Forged pistons 5/1000's over stock size. 10 to 1 compression hardened rods, and ARP rod studs. ARE had a good price on assembled Pistons and rods. Know of anyone else?

Clint
Old 03-18-2004, 02:51 PM
8 second mod

East Side>>> did me up a set of custom dimond pistions with diferent rings, bushed, the hole 9.