Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What widebands allow you to have a alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 07:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
Ignore him Mike

He has no clue what he is talking about.
Actually, I know exactly what I am talking about. It is a simple miscommunication that is causing you guys to not understand what I am trying to say. However, saying things like "Ignore him, he has no clue what he is talking about." can be rather offensive to someone who was just trying to offer their knowledge in the first place.

That being said, let me break down what I was getting at, and assumed you guys knew what was going on.

If you buy a wide band o2 sensor, it has a 0-5v output. This 0-5 volt output is wired into your pcm. In the case of HP Tuners, it is wired into the scan tool that plugs into the OBD2 port. In the case of my AEM EMS, it was wired directly into the ECU. Running it this way keeps the PCM informed at all times what the AFR's are doing. If it even starts to go lean, the computer will/should automatically correct for it from the tune that you (or your tuner) put on the car. The computer can do this WAY faster than any human being can. That is what it is designed for after all.

From what I gathered, you guys are talking about just running a wide band just as a stand alone sensor and it is not talking to the PCM at all. Therefore you are going to try to manually correct when something happens.

This is not the best idea, and I will explain why. When your cylinder runs lean, there will be a delay from the time this happens to the time the O2 sensor reads the lean condition. If you take that delay coupled with the natural delay of the human reaction time coupled with the amount of time it takes you to lift your foot off the accelerator pedal... You are now looking at a substantial amount of time that the engine has been running lean and could now be damaged from running too long in this condition.

That being said, if you are turbo charging a car and are just using the wide band to let yourself know what is going on... I guess it is good piece of mind. However, if you don't have the time, money or knowledge to wire it into your PCM so it can operate how how it was engineered too... Then maybe the whole car game is not for you and you should take up a different hobby. This hobby can get rather expensive from making simple mistakes.

Now if any of you guys disagree with that, then the only advice I can offer is for you to start building up your savings account for when things start to go wrong.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:59 PM
10 Second Club

On the stock pcm when you go wot it goes into open loop which doesn't use the input from the O2 sensors.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mike13
On the stock pcm when you go wot it goes into open loop which doesn't use the input from the O2 sensors.
Yes, this is correct.

But didn't you guys have to tune your cars at some point? Because the wide band has to talk to the pcm in order to this to happen. Well, I guess it doesn't have too, but it makes the tuning process go a whole lot faster, with making histograms and what not.

So you guys are just using an alarm in the case of say an injector failure or something along those lines?

Cause another individual gave the example of being on the foot brake or transbrake or something. However, in my mind, the PCM should have already been tuned for this situation.

I guess I can understand where you guys are coming from in that aspect. Use the wide band as a last resort in case some form of a failure occurs. Makes sense, I apologize for my misunderstanding.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SATAN
Yes, this is correct.

But didn't you guys have to tune your cars at some point? Because the wide band has to talk to the pcm in order to this to happen. Well, I guess it doesn't have too, but it makes the tuning process go a whole lot faster, with making histograms and what not.

So you guys are just using an alarm in the case of say an injector failure or something along those lines?

Cause another individual gave the example of being on the foot brake or transbrake or something. However, in my mind, the PCM should have already been tuned for this situation.

I guess I can understand where you guys are coming from in that aspect. Use the wide band as a last resort in case some form of a failure occurs. Makes sense, I apologize for my misunderstanding.
Yes about the histograms but the wideband does not talk to the pcm, it only records the information into the HP tuners program to be used with the information from the pcm.

Yes about a failure, injector, drop in fuel pressure, etc. It's not a something you want to depend on but I think there are times when you would want that extra warning. I know when I get on my car hard many times I can't take my eyes of the road or should I say I'm afraid to take my eyes off the road.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:35 PM
12 Second Club

Satan, I think you misunderstand how a wideband works. It doesn't make any corrections, it's just a reporting tool. Basically like a teenager, it says "hey your fat" but it doesn't give a **** or try to help you change anything.

Same with lean, I was trying to be funny FYI.

Unless there are some new auto correcting widebands out there.

OP, Audible knock sensors have been used in the old school Buick world for years.

Last edited by Droptopws6; 12-24-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:46 PM
9 Second Club

Actually, I know exactly what I am talking about. It is a simple miscommunication that is causing you guys to not understand what I am trying to say. However, saying things like "Ignore him, he has no clue what he is talking about." can be rather offensive to someone who was just trying to offer their knowledge in the first place.

That being said, let me break down what I was getting at, and assumed you guys knew what was going on.

If you buy a wide band o2 sensor, it has a 0-5v output. This 0-5 volt output is wired into your pcm. In the case of HP Tuners, it is wired into the scan tool that plugs into the OBD2 port. In the case of my AEM EMS, it was wired directly into the ECU. Running it this way keeps the PCM informed at all times what the AFR's are doing. If it even starts to go lean, the computer will/should automatically correct for it from the tune that you (or your tuner) put on the car. The computer can do this WAY faster than any human being can. That is what it is designed for after all.

From what I gathered, you guys are talking about just running a wide band just as a stand alone sensor and it is not talking to the PCM at all. Therefore you are going to try to manually correct when something happens.

This is not the best idea, and I will explain why. When your cylinder runs lean, there will be a delay from the time this happens to the time the O2 sensor reads the lean condition. If you take that delay coupled with the natural delay of the human reaction time coupled with the amount of time it takes you to lift your foot off the accelerator pedal... You are now looking at a substantial amount of time that the engine has been running lean and could now be damaged from running too long in this condition.

That being said, if you are turbo charging a car and are just using the wide band to let yourself know what is going on... I guess it is good piece of mind. However, if you don't have the time, money or knowledge to wire it into your PCM so it can operate how how it was engineered too... Then maybe the whole car game is not for you and you should take up a different hobby. This hobby can get rather expensive from making simple mistakes.

Now if any of you guys disagree with that, then the only advice I can offer is for you to start building up your savings account for when things start to go wrong.

You can't plug a WB into a stock pcm for a lsx car and have the pcm make changes from that input. And the more post I read from you the more it confrims that you might be a d bag. You need to back your bs instead of talking down to others
Old 12-24-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, this is correct.

Well first off with lsx pcm the wideband never actually talks to it only to hpt and you make the corrections in the tune from there
And having this alarm would be a great tuning tool for those of us that tune our own cars , typically not on a dyno, making it a much safer process
Also what harm could come from it ? I'm sure there is tons of motors that could have been saved by having this , you could have a major fueling issue or something simple as being to low on gas and not have any idea something is wrong until its too late , this alarm would tell you before you ever realized it

I have seen that you have been around turbos for some time , but try not to be so closed minded about it especially on the subject of lsx functionally since you obviouslly have a lack of knowledge in the area
Old 12-25-2011, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tomz28
And the more post I read from you the more it confrims that you might be a d bag. You need to back your bs instead of talking down to others
Boy that is certainly the case here. I have opened my mouth and inserted my own foot on this one. I apologize for giving the wrong information on this one guys. /very embarrassed

However, I am confused as to what other posts you are talking about. Can you PM me and point out where I am talking down to others? I guess sometimes I just don't see it until it is pointed out to me.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't even have to argue my point, you beat me to it.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

Bringing this back up. Wondering if Mike13 got his answer yet.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Teching In

I'm a little late to this. But. AEM has a wideband coming out soon with software that allows you to define alarms and outputs.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Autometer part# 4378 had it.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

SATAN's point and it is missed by all the stupid people in this thread.

Having a wideband with some sort of alarm....ok...so can someone detail exactly how they want or expect the alarm to work ?

If they can do that, then it will become very apparent why no widebands on the market offer it !
It's simple....you need multiple parameters for it to ever work. Which if there is no communication between the wideband/alarm and factory ecu, then you would manually need to wire in various other inputs to make an alarm a viable reality

And just because most of the LS world retain the stock PCM with it's limitations, doesnt mean the rest of the tuning world does. Using a more versatile ecu opens up a huge range of extra features and options. Do these cost money ? in some ways yes. But then, how much is your engine worth ?

Buying lots of add ons and external devices cost money. And often a decent ecu will contain all these features in a single unit. Suddenly it starts to become good value.

If you need anything more than a basic wideband display in your car to alert you that it is running leaner than you would like at any given time, then you shouldnt really be driving the car in the first place.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Haha Ireland, go **** your sister and move on. The point was not missed by everyone else before you, we assisted in helping him with his answer and you assisted in beating everyone else down instead of assisting him in his answer. You have no idea why he wants an alarm or requires one, if that is something he wants to setup then he feels the need for it. Just because your ignorant inbred mind can't comprehend that doesn't mean it isn't right.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by AllGo'N'Show
Haha Ireland, go **** your sister and move on. The point was not missed by everyone else before you, we assisted in helping him with his answer and you assisted in beating everyone else down instead of assisting him in his answer. You have no idea why he wants an alarm or requires one, if that is something he wants to setup then he feels the need for it. Just because your ignorant inbred mind can't comprehend that doesn't mean it isn't right.
If you assisted him....where is this magic device ?

Wanting and requiring are two different things...do you even understand that ?
Old 02-13-2012, 06:10 PM
10 Second Club

well like someone posted AEM is coming out with one, Zeitronix has it. It's only to be used as a tool not relied on. For example after making changes to the car or playing with the fuel system when there's no easy way to verify that your seeing enough fuel at wot.

A example would be that after you stage your car you turn on the alarm/warning, you would see or hear it as the car would be considered lean by the set parameters. When you hit the throttle warning would go away, if you heard it or see it during the run you know you went lean.

If your afr is 11.5 maybe set the alarm for 12.1
Old 02-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
If you assisted him....where is this magic device ?

Wanting and requiring are two different things...do you even understand that ?
Read tool, read. His wants can be required in his mind, my requirements are my wants, what are you trying to get at? Go away Ireland.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:33 PM
10 Second Club

OK just talked to plx and the new DM-6 has a alarm that can be used for multiple sensors. As far as afr you can set the warning so that the gauge flashes if it goes out of parameter and stops flashing when back in the parameters.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
SATAN's point and it is missed by all the stupid people in this thread.

Having a wideband with some sort of alarm....ok...so can someone detail exactly how they want or expect the alarm to work ?

If they can do that, then it will become very apparent why no widebands on the market offer it !
It's simple....you need multiple parameters for it to ever work. Which if there is no communication between the wideband/alarm and factory ecu, then you would manually need to wire in various other inputs to make an alarm a viable reality

And just because most of the LS world retain the stock PCM with it's limitations, doesnt mean the rest of the tuning world does. Using a more versatile ecu opens up a huge range of extra features and options. Do these cost money ? in some ways yes. But then, how much is your engine worth ?

Buying lots of add ons and external devices cost money. And often a decent ecu will contain all these features in a single unit. Suddenly it starts to become good value.

If you need anything more than a basic wideband display in your car to alert you that it is running leaner than you would like at any given time, then you shouldnt really be driving the car in the first place.
To be exact as you requested, I am not using a computer to control my LS engine. I have a front mount distributor with a digital ignition box that has multiple 5-12 volt activated timeing retards. Simply put, I would like the wideband to send a signal to the ignition box at a set parameter to retard a pre determined variable of timeing and at the same time activate a light or alarm so I will be aware of this change. Is that exact enough for you?
Old 02-13-2012, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mike13
OK just talked to plx and the new DM-6 has a alarm that can be used for multiple sensors. As far as afr you can set the warning so that the gauge flashes if it goes out of parameter and stops flashing when back in the parameters.
Thanks for the heads up Mike.

Quick Reply: What widebands allow you to have a alarm?