Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Wastegate failure protection circuit

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 07:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never seen this happen before and I've had plenty of experience with the turbo Buick crowds back in the day. 2 seconds seems like a long time to stay in it when it doesn't feel right. I did search to see if I could find anyone who over spun their turbos to destruction and I just don't find that many. I wonder how common it is. I've had many a tube come off early in my prototype twin turbos but always seemed easy and quick to recognize.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01Z28Camaro
If the car is equipped with a 2 step controller, have the hobs switch trip the signal wire, say you have two step at 4500 rpm, you would pretty much notice it right away and let out, if that's not good enough, have it go to a relay that interrupts signal to the crank sensor which would then shut down the engine right away.
i can build 10 psi at 3200 rpm.. so a over boost situation could still occur... a 2 step is useless for a scenario such as this. crank sensor is too critical to mess with wiring and maybe introduce interference. be better off interrupting the injectors and/or spark as they are not wave signal patterns that the pcm uses to determine crank position.

I still like the idea of cutting fuel and spark with the hobbs switch or cutting fuel within the VE table... or both.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
Or just use a quality wastegate and never worry about it lol
x4 on this as well. Ive never heard of a wastegate failing. Im sure the ebay ones have, but who cares only fools would buy something like that. Tial. nuff said.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:31 PM
9 Second Club

I have tial wastegates and they've locked up on me before. Found that the main valves in them tend to get a coating on them. I believe it's a combination of the iron manifolds and the fact that at times I start the motor and don't let it fully warm up. That along with the race gas seems to cause the issue. If I clean them and use a proper high temp anti-seize the problem doesn't happen. Everyone else uses them and they have no issues. I'm the lucky one I guess. I check for proper operation before every race and have had no issues since.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread reminds me of the difference between guys who wear a condom and those that dont when with a girl who is on birth control and tells you she's clean....bcuz sometimes you just never ******* know!

Quick Reply: Wastegate failure protection circuit